How to dispute a payment

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Goldknight
RULER

How to dispute a payment

Post by Goldknight »

If y'all have read the for sale thread by Killua you'll see that it's been a month since I sent him a final payment for artwork. I paid in two payments. I haven't received the artwork and Derek isn't responding to emails. When I logged into paypal it said the transaction couldn't be disputed since it was sent as a personal payment. WTF? What is paypal there for? Do I have any options? I'm so pissed off right now. :redhot :redhot :redhot :redhot :redhot :redhot :redhot :redhot :redhot :redhot
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: How to dispute a payment

Post by genomexec »

Hmmm, not too surprised by this since if I recall correctly Paypal does not take its cut from personal payments. They probably offer fewer protections on those types of transactions to discourage people using them for commercial deals to circumvent the fees.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Did you pay with a CC? If you did, contact your CC company and they will dispute the charge.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

We ran into this, too. Paypal provides NO buyer protection for personal payments. They are at your own risk.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Unfortunately, Paypal assumes that if you're sending money as a Personal Payment that you know the person receiving it and trust them. There is no recourse for personal payments, unfortunately. If things don't work out, you could always try to file a police report for fraud? If you've got any type of information (name, address, phone number, whatever), this might be possible?

I hope you hear from him soon!
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

So, just to get this straight, when you say "personal payment", is that the Paypal method where you transfer to a friend or family member using your bank account? I am trying to find out where that says on Paypal's site, but I am only getting the personal transfer as a method (I am assuming this is the same thing?).
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

There is also some recourse if you use your Bank Account. A few years ago I sent money to someone who turned out to be a scammer on a Livejournal community. Paypal couldn't get my money back, so I contacted the bank. They were able to retrieve my money after I filled out some paperwork. I'd contact your bank (if you paid via a direct withdrawl/e-check or your debit/atm card. I think the option that it fell under was called "unauthorized charge" -that was after I fully explained everything to them.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

And this is exactly why I don't do personal payments nor do I ask anyone to send them to me as payment for artwork -- only way I use the personal option is if I'm actually sending a friend or family member money ;). It's also the reason that when paying anyone for anything using PayPal that I always use a credit card, that way there's always the chargeback option in the event of something like this. It IS good to hear that you may have some recourse with a bank account as well.

I'm sad to see that someone so trusted like Killua would do this to you, GK ...
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Gosh the whole situation really sucks. :(
I'm surprised at Derek, while sometimes he's been slow
in shipping, he always answered my emails rather quickly.
Somehow I still think it will all work out one way or another :roll:
please keep us posted
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Well I guess I'll pay a visit to my bank this weekend and see what options I have if any. Maybe I should just take a trip home to Texas and pay him a visit along the way. :roll :roll: Thanks for the help everyone. :sweatdrop
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug