Carrying ITOYA folders around

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Carrying ITOYA folders around

Post by Keropi »

I was thinking of lugging around two or more ITOYA folders at Anime Expo. I've done it once before, but that was when I already had my hotel room.

Does anyone know of something decent to be able to carry them around in? Maybe I should just buy a large plastic bag and not go in the dealer's room until later. I'm not going to buy anything there anyway so I can easily wait til I have my hotel room.

How do you guys handle it when you're at conventions? :D
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Carrying ITOYA folders around

Post by JWR »

I normally use a case simular to one like this
http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick ... ortfolios/
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I think it depends on what you're planning on buying.

If you're planning on buying shikishi or using shikishi for autograph sessions, I find the plastic B4 cases to be excellent storage cases. You can put about 8 different shikishi in each pack, and you can store plastic bags to protect your shikishi once you receive them. Depending on the day, I'll carry 1-2 of these cases with me. They will run you about $2 at Daiso with taxes.

Depending on the seller, a lot of them will hold on to the item for you until you're ready to leave the con.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I have mostly 11x14 Itoyas and when I carry them around, I use light computer satchels. Those sorta-computer bags that you really wouldn't carry a computer in that you cared about, but which are heavier than most random bags, designed to hold a flat and square shape without collapsing, and usually have a long strap so they can be worn over your shoulder.

If I were at home, I would snap a photo of mine. I can if you want me to, when I get back home.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

JWR wrote:I normally use a case simular to one like this
http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick ... ortfolios/
That's interesting. Maybe I should get something like that. I have one in my room, but it's more like a briefcase because it only have two small handles on the top. Whenever I move it I carry it by the handles and the bottom because it's so heavy. It has three ITOYA folders in it to keep them out of the dark. But it's 26 inches X 20 1/2 inches in size so it's actually smaller than the one in the link. I'll have to see if there's something that's smaller. I guess I'd better not bring more than two folders. Three filled folders would be pretty heavy to lug around the convention for hours before checking into the hotel and for hours after checking out on the final day.
cutiebunny wrote:If you're planning on buying shikishi or using shikishi for autograph sessions, I find the plastic B4 cases to be excellent storage cases. You can put about 8 different shikishi in each pack, and you can store plastic bags to protect your shikishi once you receive them. Depending on the day, I'll carry 1-2 of these cases with me. They will run you about $2 at Daiso with taxes.
Hmm. that would come in handy. I think I still have a couple of those sitting around somewhere.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles wrote:I have mostly 11x14 Itoyas and when I carry them around, I use light computer satchels. Those sorta-computer bags that you really wouldn't carry a computer in that you cared about, but which are heavier than most random bags, designed to hold a flat and square shape without collapsing, and usually have a long strap so they can be worn over your shoulder.

If I were at home, I would snap a photo of mine. I can if you want me to, when I get back home.
I think I know what you're talking about. Some people at my work use them for their job. Thanks for the offer though. I'll have to figure out something here. The convention is coming up fast.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

After looking around for a long time, based off my needs and convenience I decided to go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dicota-ClassicGia ... 334&sr=8-1

It was a good size for what I needed it for. I was just big enough to fit my larger ITOYA folders into. It had an arm strap and the hand hold is comfortable. The arm strap isn't very long though. You can't store much in it besides the ITOYA folders (unless it's something flat or small), but overall it was pretty good. It came with a velcro divider, but it only covers a certain region inside the bag.

This is how it looks with two large ITOYA folders inside:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv37 ... C00158.jpg

I put one small ITOYA folder on top of the two larger ones to show how it looks. I could have put two large and two small folders inside of it and zipped it up easily:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv37 ... C00159.jpg

This shows the bag with four small ITOYA folders inside:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv37 ... C00160.jpg

It was about 15 pounds when I had one small and two large folders in it. It was about 12 1/2-13 pounds with two large folders. The bag by itself with the zip bag and divider inside of it and the arm strap attached weighed roughly 2 1/4 pounds (that's if my scale is working correctly for something that's so light).

Small ITOYA folder is the 11" X 14" size
Large ITOYA folder is the 14" X 17" size
JWR

Post by JWR »

Good choice
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

This was my second choice:

http://www.targus.com/uk/product_detail ... u=TCC008EU

It's a little bigger than the Dicota bag. Looks like that Targus side pocket expands a lot more than the one I have on my bag.

So many of those art carrying portfolios were either and inch and a half too narrow or they were a few inches too wide. If I had larger artwork to put in the bag I would have gone those instead.