So I'm writing a textbook & need help

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Goldknight
RULER

So I'm writing a textbook & need help

Post by Goldknight »

Im in the process of writing a textbook for Veterinary Medical Terminology. The problem I'm running into is finding pics & diagrams. I've looked through the royalty free image sites & have put the word out to former students to take pics of certain things if they see them. However when it comes to diagrams of a GI tract or Endocrine system I'm hitting road blocks. Any ideas? Do authors hire people to draw these? I've found some useful ones & will try to get permission to use others, but wondered what other avenues are out there? Does anyone here do this? Is it drawing or more graphic design? On a side note I know some of you are in the veterinary field & would really love it if I could get volunteers for pictures of various things that come to your clinics. :sweatdrop
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: So I'm writing a textbook & need help

Post by JWR »

I would just assign those drawing you need as part of the final your students must take :evilblk
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

:rollin :rollin

I love it!
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

I don't know if this will help or not, but ...

My hubby is a patent attorney, and I know they usually hire a draftsman to do the technical drawings in their patents. Perhaps someone like that could provide the illustrations you need ... ?? I'm not sure of the cost, though.
MyBaby
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by MyBaby »

Very clever answer JWR, I second it! :P
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Medical Illustration was a major offered at my school, so I'm sure you could find students/recent grads looking for a chance to break into the field. I suggest seeing if any colleges near you offer the major and maybe help some of their students get a job to put on their resumes :D
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

That's a wonderful idea. I started looking into that after reading your post. I had no idea there were associations for medical illustrators. 8O Wow....just amazing. We'll see if I can afford them. My budget is very low since this is my first venture into publishing. :roll: I also found some royalty free sites specifically for medical illustrations. The trick is the veterinary part. :emb Most of them are human related. :sweatdrop