What else do you collect besides animation artwork?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

What else do you collect besides animation artwork?

Post by Ichigos »

In general.. I like collecting toys. I have a bunch of dolls in and out of their packaging, specifically from Monster High and Ever After High (and a few other franchises).

Recently I bought some of my favourite Irwin DBZ action figures to keep in their packaging. I used to have some when I was younger but I have no idea where they went. I've got a few of the S.H. Figuarts Figures from DBZ as well but the only DBZ Figuarts figure I will keep in box is the SDCC 2014 Vegeta. I paid so much for him and I can't bring myself to free him from his packaging. ;_;

I also have my fair share of Sonic The Hedgehog comics by Archie and a lot of Neopets plushies.

Out of all of these the only things I'm still actively collecting are dolls, animation artwork, and a few DBZ/Tokyo Mew Mew items if I see them for cheap (or if I'm REALLY interested in them)

And of course I have a bunch of other things from different franchises but the ones above are my main ones.

What do you collect?!
Image Image
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: What else do you collect besides animation artwork?

Post by JWR »

Over the years I have gone thru different phases of collecting going back to Baseball cards as a kid.
I went thru a few years of collecting watches till I got satified. Being a fan of H.P. Lovecraft I picked up a good selection of the original pulp magazines from the 20's when the stories he wrote first saw print before being collected into book form after his death. We also have many signed 1st edition books.

My longest collecting item is still the original comic book art from friends I have made over my lifetime. Those are displayed in my gallery on RS.
Along those lines we also have collected many statues and figures as well as lithographs. I posted a those in this thread a while back viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30052
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

ahh this is rather an interesting topic twist 8)
I've been collecting cels/anime knick-knack items for over 10 years now but do find myself
[almost sadly] moving further away from this hobby, although I still do search and collect some cels,
I'm from a family of classic car enthusiasts so I do tend to collect anything related to
Ford Mustang, which I currently drive a newish mustang [red of course] and have had several late '60s
fastbacks over the years, also going back to some other early collecting roots, namely
rock n roll memorabilia [like promotional concert posters, tour used guitar picks etc.] but rather fussy as I only
collect from my 2 favorite bands, and they're not really mainstream so it can be a challenge............and of course anything Rottweiler!!
basically I am a rather obsessive collector junkie and have been for what seems like forever X|
Last edited by teggacat on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

About all that I collect are heirloom tomato seeds. Every year I plant some of my favorites and try out some new ones. Some are dependable performers (this year "Dr. Neal" gave us several 1-lb-plus delicious beefsteaks) and some are surprising newcomers (we are still eating/processing our way through an avalanche of "Black Japanese Trefele" fruits). And some are just for fun: "Farthest North" seemed to like our mild climate and produced baskets of little cherry tomatoes as early as Memorial Day (when I used to set out tomatoes in our old PA home). It keeps me out in the sun and fresh air, which is a healthy change from the websurfing that gets me my animation art and helps me put it into context.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

Comics and numerous baseball /basketball sets....
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I collected U.S. Coins and U.S. stamps when I was younger. My aunt started me on that. Other relatives gave their old coins to me so that helped. I saved every coin I got that was 1959 or older (and silver coins). I collected Coca Cola cans in high school because they used to put different names of cities on the side of the cans. So I saved Coke cans when I would go on trips. I collected new comics books and later collected older ones - mostly Captain America and Tales of Suspense.

I collected sports cards - mainly basketball and baseball cards. I should have bought those Bird/Magic rookies cards when they were going for $50 each, but we thought that was a pretty crazy high price for them at the time. I was interested in old Americana so I bought things like an 1860's Hawaiian newspaper, an American Civil War soldier's letter and Confederate currency. I collected autographs and hand items from celebrities - mostly they were older movie star autographs on black and white photos. I wanted an Akira Kurosawa signed photo, but I only ran across other things he would sign.

My final collecting hobby was collecting anime cels and sketches.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Like many have said here, I've always been a collector. I've got a collection of baseball cards and memorabilia surrounding my favorite player, Roger Clemens. About 5000 pieces. My favorite is a ball I got signed by him in 1988. Missed half a day of school for that one. http://artappreciation101.rubberslug.co ... /about.asp

I collect toys, statues, and art pertaining to the characters Willow and Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I have a poster signed by 27 cast members, but this recent piece is my favorite. http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiec ... ce=1112533

I collect signed books. My favorite is a copy of Restaurant At the End of the Universe signed by Douglas Adams.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

I collect vintage Pokémon merchandise. I have a stash of unopened booster packs, graded cards, and various toys displayed throughout my room.

I also collect vintage Disney movie posters and lobby cards (I would love to add a cel or two to this collection one day). My mom got me started on Disney Lenox figures as well.

My dad and I share an awesome 50’s/60’s toy collection. Also, movie posters and lobby cards focusing on horror/sci-fi classics from the 50’s.

I also have a small collection of autographs; including an LOTR cast signature, a George Reeves Superman, Vincent Price, and a piece of sheet music from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs signed by Walt Disney.

I also collect books. I have a copy of Dante’s Inferno from the 1800’s and a double-signed copy of Rosemary’s Baby, among others.
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

God this will be a horrific litany for me. As has been said hands up to being a prolific collector since I was a kid, it's always fascinated me.

As a kid I did bottles (vintage glass ones), coins (more or less indescriminately), Militaria (again indescriminately), trainsets, Military models 1.72 then 1.35 then again with Games Workshop. Suppose I collected Metal gigs when I was a late teen/young man and still do that occasionally (High on Fire Live, I cannot reccommend enough kings of their game right now as far as I'm concerned).

Now as an adult aside from cels (which has more or less stopped now, though no I am not selling my collection!), I now have gone back to Model making (now in 28mm doing a Byzantine army though could change depending on my reading). I also just realised (way too late really) about the imporatance of dressing well and how good it makes you feel. I now consider £150 spent on a nice Duchamp or Todd Snyder shirt money well spent, whereas before I would have laughed at spending that amount on a shirt. How things change!

What's really funny though is the trends. More or less everyone seems to do a coin phase or baseball card phase. It's funny how some things just seem to have an eclectic link to them, rather like well cels really!
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

In addition to cels and animation art, I collect trading cards, pencil boards, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle stuff (more picky than I used to be), Teddy Ruxpin stuff, Avatar the Last Airbender toys and stuff, some plushes and gashapon, comic books, rocks, fossils, mineral samples, shot glasses, dvds, and books. My house is full.

Kind of fun, earlier this week I posted a small bit of my TMNT stuff to /r/TMNT. Specifically my Coming Out of Their Shells Tour stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/xuWsQ

And here's an older set of pictures of some TMNT newspaper comics and articles I was pesudo-scrapbooking for a while when I was teenager

http://imgur.com/a/5HSGU
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.