Help with locking down Tumblr

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Help with locking down Tumblr

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I've had an anon stalker for some time on Tumblr. I always viewed their messages as amusing and I am ashamed to admit I got some sick satisfaction out of shooting their idiocy down every time they wrote. :roll: It is what it is and I admit to feeding the fire, but now I think this idiot has other things on his mind.

The other day I received this rather veiled threat from an unknown user that apparently had never accessed my page before this according to their IP records.

This morning I also got an error message from Chrome when I tried to access my page and it refused to load because it was being instructed to access an insecure Tumblr page from which hackers might be able to access my information. It also gave me the option to inform Google of this information, so I did and reloaded the page.

Long story short, I'm attempting to lock down my account a little bit more, but I'm having trouble doing so. I tried to activate the Two-factor authentication with my Japanese cell number, but I never received any notification from them. Using a Google search, I found that you should have the option to receive an SMS message or through the Authentication app, but I am not given any option other than using my cell number. I downloaded the Google Authenticator app to do this instead, but I couldn't figure out how to add Tumblr to my Google account for it to even show up. If anyone has any insight on how I can successfully turn this security measure on, please let me know. I've also contacted Tumblr about this user harassment, but I have yet to hear any feedback from them. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! <3
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Help with locking down Tumblr

Post by zerospace »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:Long story short, I'm attempting to lock down my account a little bit more, but I'm having trouble doing so. I tried to activate the Two-factor authentication with my Japanese cell number, but I never received any notification from them. Using a Google search, I found that you should have the option to receive an SMS message or through the Authentication app, but I am not given any option other than using my cell number. I downloaded the Google Authenticator app to do this instead, but I couldn't figure out how to add Tumblr to my Google account for it to even show up. If anyone has any insight on how I can successfully turn this security measure on, please let me know. I've also contacted Tumblr about this user harassment, but I have yet to hear any feedback from them. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! <3
IP records can be meaningless if the person is using a proxy. Do you believe that your account has been compromised already? Have you logged in and verified that everything is correct and there have been no unauthorized logins? I assume you've done this if you're skipping onwards to setting up two-factor. I'm a little disturbed by the fact that Chrome warned that you were being directed to a non-secure page. Man in the middle or cross-site-scripting attack, perhaps? Something seems wrong there. If I were you, I might run a virus/malware scan on my PC and make sure you don't have any sort of keylogger or browser hijack going on (just to be safe). Then perhaps use a different browser to log in and change your account password to something ridiculously secure & impossible to guess based on anything you've posted online about yourself (no names, birthdates, family members, pets, or other references that you may have mentioned online on a blog, facebook page, etc). If you still can't get the two-factor set up, wait for Tumblr support to respond. In the meantime, consider using Blogger (Google) instead, and set up two-factor on your Google account (I've been using Google two-step for a few years and it works quite well, though I get those codes via a phone call rather than SMS) ;). If Tumblr never responds... well, I'd shut my account down, but that's just me. :P

I've used two-factor on a few accounts that send codes via SMS and haven't had an issue with receiving the codes. Are you able to send/recieve SMS otherwise?

I hope you get this sorted out, Rekka! :)