What tech does everyone use?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

What devices do you use?

smartphone (iPhone, android, blackberry, etc)
29%
other cell phone (anything not a smartphone)
5%
regular laptop (windows, linux, Apple, etc)
14%
touchscreen laptop
2%
tablet (iPad, android, amazon fireOS, windows RT, etc)
19%
2-in-1 (MS Surface Pro, convertible touchscreen laptops, etc)
2%
desktop (PC, Mac, linux, etc)
26%
chromebook
No votes
netbook
2%

Total votes: 42

zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

What tech does everyone use?

Post by zerospace »

So I've been wondering what devices collectors today are using -- smartphones, tablets, laptops, 2-in-1s, and/or desktop PCs? I've made this a poll that hopefully you can choose as many as apply to you. So, if you have one of everything, you should be able to select all of the options.

I'm really curious what others use, and I'll answer my own poll and post here:

1) android smartphone (currently a Moto X 2014)
2) 2-in-1 (Microsoft Surface Pro 3 -- soon to possibly be a Surface Book, provided my local MS store actually has my pre-ordered one on the 26th ^^;; )
3) tablet (Amazon Kindle Fire)
4) netbook (technically this should be here, but I rarely use it -- I have an older Acer netbook running Ubuntu linux -- used primarily to resuscitate soft-bricked android smartphones ^^;;;)

My Surface Pro 3 is my primary PC. I no longer use a desktop (abandoned last year for the Surface Pro 3). To compensate for the loss of data storage space, I converted an old micro-PC into a network attached storage machine with a pair of mirrored hard drives for redundant data storage. :)

How many collectors are using touchscreen devices regularly? Is anyone here holding out against smartphones & tablets? Feel free to elaborate in a post, too. :)

I split up touchscreen laptops and 2-in-1s because they aren't quite the same thing, necessarily. 2-in-1s typically have a "mode" that is all touchscreen driven without use of the keyboard. A regular touchscreen laptop can't be converted to just a tablet. Examples of a 2-in-1 would be a Microsoft Surface Pro/Surface 3 (Surface 2 and Surface RT are tablets, as they run Windows RT and NOT Windows 8 or 10), HP Spectre x360 models, some Dell Inspiron models with the 360 degree hinge, Lenovo's Yoga books, etc.

As you can tell, I'm not as interested in what OS you're using as much as I'm interested in what kind of devices are being used. Most data these days seems to indicate the proliferation of smartphones and inexpensive tablets, but I wonder among collectors what's most popular.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: What tech does everyone use?

Post by Angelic-Lair »

We've got iPhones, an iPad, a couple of PCs running various OS's and a Mac Mini.
Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Kasi »

I've got a desktop computer and an old iPhone 3 (because I don't want to spend anymore money on a phone).
I've fallen out of the tech loop, don't even have a connected TV and currently researching to buy my first Blu-ray player. I'm so surprised how quickly and complicated technology has become :|
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Wow, thanks for all the replies and votes, guys! This is really enlightening! So far, it seems the most popular things are tablets, traditional laptops, desktops and smartphones. I'm not terribly surprised by that, but its great to know how much touchscreen use there is.

I did get my Surface Book, and maybe when my hubby is done playing his games on it, I'll actually get to use it (I made the mistake of letting him load MechWarrior Online on it after I installed Diablo 3 for myself... now I might never get it back).