Any GSMD members here? Pilgrim descendants?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Any GSMD members here? Pilgrim descendants?

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

Geez...it's been a while since I last perused our great forum!

Just curious if anyone here is a descendant of a Mayflower pilgrim. I am currently working on getting my line authenticated (have been working on it for 3 years now). I'm just a couple of marriage licenses away from confirming everything for my Utah chapter, then they send it on to Plymouth. Here's my line:

Gov. William Bradford (1st governor of Plymouth colony)
William Bradford
Israel Bradford
Joshua Bradford
Joseph Bradford
Moses Bradford
Caroline Bradford
Alvin Bradford Kempton
Richard Hiram Kempton
Etta Jane Kempton
Erline "Peggy" Palmer
Jack Leo Williams
Me

Any cousins? :D
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Any GSMD members here? Pilgrim descendants?

Post by sensei »

One of my great-grandmothers was an avid genealogist who set herself the goal of documenting her status as FFV (First Families of Virginia), DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution), and Daughters of the Confederacy. She achieved this "triple crown" and had all of her daughters formally enrolled in all three. My mother carried this rather lightly, explaining that our "first Virginian" was a ship's doctor who went on a drunken spree one night, just as his vessel's pilot, nervous about the direction of the wind, felt that they should set out to sea to avoid being stranded during the storm. The boat went off back to England, and my forebear woke up with a bad headache and growing realization that he now as a resident of "that gawd-fersaken shore they call Ver-jin-eye-yay," as an old song has it.

I have another yellowed paper that tries to work out a genealogy from a Captain Thomas Willett, who emigrated to the Plymouth Colony in 1629. Unfortunately, it seems incorrect, as there are good records in the Maryland Hall of Records that show that my Willett line tracks from an Edward Willett, who emigrated to the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay ca. 1690. His apprenticeship papers to a London pewterer still exist, as does his will, which left his pewterer's business to his elder son William. His son, William, Jr., moved to Kentucky in 1792, founding the distillery there that is the start of the Willett Family Estate rye whiskey and bourbon concern still in business.

I'm descended from a younger brother who evidently did not inherit either pewtering or whiskey-making as a skill, and so our family has been poor ever since. :bawl But my brother did inherit "Willett" as his middle name.
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

Well, if that isn't one heck of a family story, I don't know what is! Isn't it all just so interesting, though? And the "Triple Crown" achievement is grand. I have been so curious to see if my Williams line heralds back to the Revolutionary War, but I could only trace that line back to my ggg-grandfather, who fought in the War of 1812. I have a copy of the land deed, which was awarded to him after the war, but family stories say that a lot of the family records before that were destroyed during the war. Perhaps we'll never know...

Sensei, do you know if you have any Jamestown connections?
sensei

Post by sensei »

I would have to check to see how early my ship's doctor arrived. I got the impression that it was shortly after the first prostitutes got shipped over from Shoreditch in 1618. Vaguely I recall that he married one of Adam Thoroughgood's daughters, which would put his arrival shortly after the Jamestown era and into the more general settlement of the lower Bay in the 1620s.
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

I've been doing more sleuthing, and I have tentative lines to these pilgrims: Isaac/Mary Allerton, William/Love Brewster, John Alden, and Richard Warren. So in total, that makes me a descendant of 7 Mayflower passengers (counting Gov. Bradford of course). Then there are my ties to the next ships that arrived, The Fortune, Anne, and Little James, as many of those passengers married Mayflower people. Now, if I play my cards right, this would permit me to join the Alden Kindred of America (AKA), John Winthrop Society, and possibly Jamestown. So stoked!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

So far, my line can only be traced back to about a decade before the Revolutionary War here in the US. But there were several adoptions, so I don't qualify for DAR.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

My mom was into genealogy. She also was an active member of the DAR, an officer in her chapter. I plan to join but just haven't yet. She told me that we are descendants of 2 pilgrims from The Mayflower. All I remember was it was a father and son. The father died shortly after arriving. I think my brother took all that info after my mom died. Although, it could still be stored on her computer at my dad's place. So in other words, I can't verify any names right now. I can tell you that I'm an indirect relative of Ethan Allen and a direct descendant of William the Conquerer. I'm sure a lot of people can say the latter though since you have to go back so many years.

It's pretty cool how I haven't been here in over a year and stumble on this fairly new thread. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

The only famous person my Daughter has found in her search of our family tree is Johns Hopkins on my Grandmother on my Father's side and through him back to relatives in 1500's Holland
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

ReiTheJelly wrote:So far, my line can only be traced back to about a decade before the Revolutionary War here in the US. But there were several adoptions, so I don't qualify for DAR.
Well damn. I have DAR on the back burner until I can finish up my Pilgrim stuff.
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

duotrouble wrote: She told me that we are descendants of 2 pilgrims from The Mayflower. All I remember was it was a father and son. The father died shortly after arriving.
If you find out any time soon, please post!