Anime Expo wants me to teach a workshop...

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

Should I go to Anime Expo to teach a fan cel workshop?

YES! Sign me up!
55%
Do it, but only if you can afford it
36%
Probably better not to--or at least wait for one closer by
No votes
The world needs more fancel artists like it needs lawyers
9%

Total votes: 11

Requiem
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Anime Expo wants me to teach a workshop...

Post by Requiem »

They want me to teach a fancel workshop. I figured this would be in 'other' because the question isn't really about cels or anime, it's about whether or not it would be worth it for me to go--I'm not a big con person.

SO:
Pros-
-I love to teach, and I'm pretty good at it
-I think it would be lots of fun
-Never been to the west coast

Cons
-Going to and staying in California is going to be EXPENSIVE, and I doubt I'll have much money to spare
-I don't know where the hell I'm going to be after I graduate (quite literally. It's going to be something like 'where in the world is gwendolyn?'--and there's a good chance I won't know either because I have a notoriously bad sense of direction)
-By going to the con I wouldn't be recouping my losses in any way since I'm not going to have a table at artists alley, art in the art show, or anything more than publicity for my website, and I'm going to be 'out' of cel painting at the time of the con due to the above reason :?
-I'm going to be opening myself up to all the anti fancel people out there who will want me dead for teaching people how to paint cels and thus add to the glut on ebay and counterfeiting.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I say go for it! Save some dough and have a good time.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I say go for it and have a good time! BUT, I think you should save money as well. It be sad to have a blast and return home with no money for food or rent. :l

BTW, I don't think anyone's gonna kill you for teaching a workshop in fancels. They already have them here, and it's a popular panel! :)
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Phoenix
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Phoenix »

Requiem, you are a very talented fancel artist, and I am sure you are very good at everything else you do. You said you are in college and trying to save money. I have been there and thought even though I don't really know you I could give my .02.

College is for exploration. There are always stories about college students who spent thousands of dollars in college then graduate with outrageous credit card debt in addition to their student loans. But you rarely hear about the college students who had to get jobs and start their real lives after graduation and always regretted not doing X when they had the chance. It's a difference of blowing your money on beer and pizza vs. life experiences.

I don't know what you plan to do after graduation, but teaching at the con could be a great networking opportunity for you! As for worrying about the anti-fancel groups, you have a good reputation in the anime community. As long as you stress to people that fancels are not to be done then auctioned on ebay as production you should be fine.

Long post...in short - GO FOR IT!!!
Requiem
Eiketsu - Mastermind

eh

Post by Requiem »

^^ I'm much more of the rarer heard story actually. I put myself through, working whenever I could since I was 14 and saving just about everything for college. Winter break, spring break, summer break= work. No credit cards and no beer and pretzels, ok, pretzels of the chocolate covered kind. (I'm not regretful, I'm extremely proud that I was able to do it, and I still had plenty of fun at college)

I'm taking my first vacation in a couple of weeks :D Las Vegas! If I get extremely lucky, going to anime expo won't be a problem. The networking thing is the most tempting since I'd like to go into more creative fields like kids books and original illustration in the next few years (they're flexible and I intend on doing a little aimless wandering before I settle down)

So... it would probably be a smart thing to do in the long term... maybe I can try to work a table at the artists alley into my deal with them--not so much to sell stuff as to have something to do when I'm not teaching (and you guys can come visit me).
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I ran conventions in the past. They have the ability to make your trip very affordable if you ask. They get room nights for free from the hotel, so that should not be an issue. They should be able to pick you up at the airport and get you back. Usually they have receptions for guests with buffets or dinners. You might even be able to con an airline ticket out of them if they really want you. :D
As you look back at your life the things you will regret are the things that you did not do. 8)
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

Live it up. Definitely. The more experiences - the better. Especially if it's your first time to the West coast. - But just be careful!
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Hey, enjoy Vegas. If you need any of the skinny on Sin City, let me know. Lived here for 10 years and I know some of the better places to go.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Requiem
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Ooo! Skinny!

Post by Requiem »

Sure! I'm staying at the Sahara for 3 days/nights and I've got a ton of stuff I've been looking at online, but I know they've got to have way more stuff than they mention on websites.

Soooo excited :D