Where to host my artwork?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Where to host my artwork?

Post by Pixel »

I was wondering where to find some good places to host my own artwork. It's not necessarily original art though. My understanding is that rubberslug is mainly for production artwork. I used photobucket for awhile, but they got greedy and started wanting money for a lot of things that were free at one point.

I've heard of deviantart, are there any more?

EDIT: I guess I shoud've asked- does rubberslug have a problem with hosting fanart? As I said, I thought it was basically only for production artwork.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Where to host my artwork?

Post by cutiebunny »

I've had fan art items up before, and a lot of people have put up fan cels and whatnot over the years.

I think the general consensus is that as long as fan art isn't the majority of what you're displaying, you should be ok.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

As I'm new to animation collecting, I don't really have much of anything production wise yet. I'm afraid at this point it would mostly be fanart.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Who are the moderators for RS now? I know Jason is not personally supervising the site any longer, and that there is not an active "Rubberslug police" actively enforcing conformity. I would think that if you registered, contacted one of the RS mods, and requested to use your site for your purpose, so long as your fancels were clearly identified as such and were not being actively sold through the gallery, then there would be no objection.

My only concern would be the long-term health of the site. It is now close to two decades old, making it ancient as interactive websites go. Many of us who use our sites as organizing programs for large collections are concerned that it may simply crash someday, leaving no ongoing way to document our holdings. For that reason some of us have gone the route of newer sites that allow the curator to customize a way of displaying a collection (or, in your case, a portfolio of original art). I don't have a link, but there have been discussions on RS of "Rubberslug vs. personally created galleries." One of these might help your problem in a longer-term fashion.

Update: Jadeduo has been a leader on Beta for gaining more visibility for non-RS galleries and has a large customized gallery that she is very proud of. She is not so active on Beta as she used to be but she is easily raised on Facebook (as Tara Averill Nelson) through the group "Anime Cel Collectors" (a closed group, but as with Beta and RS I don't think the membership requirements are as restrictive as MS-13). She would probably be able to give you some more up-to-date advice on hosting your original art.

But in truth, if you simply used RS to do this and explained why (and had a scattering of original anime art) I doubt anyone would mind. (And watch out: once you collect "just a few cels" you'll find them multiplying like Tribbles. My Tenshi ni Narumon cels have hacked my laptop and use it to bid on their sequence mates when I'm asleep.)
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I've done a bit more research, and I think I've found a solution for the time being. It's not perfect, but I'll give it a shot.

Stay tuned.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Well, I thought I had a solution, but google are being jerks. Grrrr....
Last edited by Pixel on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I sent a message to rubberslug. I was a bit reluctant seeing as how what I'm doing is sort of out of their line, but it they give the thumbs up, might be the simplest option.

Google insisted on putting a gimmick user interface over my pics, and didn't want me to access unscaled versions. Why is it so hard to find good image hosting anymore?