Potentially scammed on a trade with renowned person in community

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
chrismayek
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Potentially scammed on a trade with renowned person in community

Post by chrismayek »

It may be too early to tell, but I sent the person their cel two days ago and it is already out for delivery at their location. According to them, they packaged and printed the label for my cel at home, then dropped it off at USPS yesterday morning. It still hasn't updated at all aside from 'shipping label created'.

Some others in the cel community have said not to worry yet, but most that I've told about it agree that it's concerning and it definitely should have been scanned already. It is especially nerve wracking considering it is for over a thousand dollars worth of artwork.

As my title states, the person is someone fairly well known in the community, and I have traded with them once before without any issue in terms of receiving their cels, but I later found out they weren't forthcoming with me about the value of what they sent me compared to what I sent them. It was about a $300+ difference.
transatlantique

Re: Potentially scammed on a trade with renowned person in community

Post by transatlantique »

I'd be patient for a day or two. USPS is notoriously terrible. I often have packages suddenly show up without having been marked as received at the local post office, things don't get scanned for several days.. recently had a package take 14 days that was sent Priority Mail 2 day.

I wouldnt start to worry until Monday.
Always collecting: Cardcaptor Sakura & Sailor Moon
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just yet. Definitely start a line of communication if nothing has updated by Monday, though.

I've had all sorts of weird experiences with USPS over the years: items not being scanned in until they reached their final destination, Priority parcels taking 3 weeks to arrive, parcels being misrouted and going 1600+ miles out of their way, etc.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Not sure where it is being shipped from but just a reminder Monday 5/28 is a holiday here in the USA with no mail processing or delivery so tracking may not update till some time Tuesday.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I'm not sure how it typically works in trades, but sellers sometimes only ship one day a week. It can take several days for something to happen in those situations.

I sort of know how you feel, though admittedly not over so much value at once.

Tokyo to New York~17 days, with no updates for 12 days. US Customs and a cross country trip on deck. Probably at least another 4 to 6 days.

I actually requested it a week or so before it was shipped. Turns out the week it should otherwise have shipped was the Golden Week holiday in Japan. Now thanks to that delay, it will likely get held up somewhere by Memorial Day in the US.

I'm good at getting into holiday delays like this. This one's a real doozy. I've somehow managed to end up with a delay here due to a holiday, quite possibly as a result of a delay due to one on the far side of the Pacific!

I'm looking at a good 4 weeks from saying "Hassou-shimashite kudasai." ("Please send it on.") to maybe unboxing.

Of course I cheaped out on shipping, so I knew it would take awhile. What I did not know was the was the Golden Week holiday would really threw a "spanner in the works" as the British might say.
chrismayek
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by chrismayek »

It turned out okay, I ended up receiving the cels this past Saturday with no issues. Just a long delay in picking up the cel on USPS'S end :ZzZz:
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I know, you gotta love the postal service right?

Still, they generally seem to manage to get it there sooner or later.

It really annoys me when I think they've deliberately held up a First Class package at the regional facility in order to make Priority Mail look like a better value.

At least it all worked out okay for you. In my experience with the USPS it usually does, eventually.