Hurricane Florence (and other tropical cyclones)

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Hurricane Florence (and other tropical cyclones)

Post by Pixel »

Hi all,

It's likely that Florence is about to take aim at some members here, so I thought it would be a good idea to post a thread about it so people can keep in touch here if they want to.

At the moment, I'm not in the projected path of that particular storm, but I could very well be in for some tropical cyclone trouble in the not too distant future myself.

National Hurricane Center - https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Perhaps it might be a thread to keep up with inclement tropical weather in general.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Hurricane Florence (and other tropical cyclones)

Post by sensei »

I am in coastal Maryland, and happily we are likely to be only minimally affected. Once I did prepare to the point of having one cel book and one sketch box of indispensible possessions ready to roll with me. But in the end the hurricane veered off and we had only a "fresh" (windy/rainy) day. It would be a good idea for us all to review our emergency plans, whether in this storm path or not, and know what we will take with us.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Hurricane Florence (and other tropical cyclones)

Post by Pixel »

sensei wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:06 pm I am in coastal Maryland, and happily we are likely to be only minimally affected.
It looks like Florence is expected to hit the Carolinas most directly, but IMO interests all along the Eastern seaboard should keep an eye on her over the next few days.
sensei wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:06 pm Once I did prepare to the point of having one cel book and one sketch box of indispensible possessions ready to roll with me. But in the end the hurricane veered off and we had only a "fresh" (windy/rainy) day.
That's the thing, you don't really know for sure which way they'll go.
sensei wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:06 pm It would be a good idea for us all to review our emergency plans, whether in this storm path or not, and know what we will take with us.
Three other systems are churning away out in the Atlantic. (Even trained forecasters can't be 100% sure where they will head.)

It looks like trouble is afoot deep in the Gulf as well. Plenty to be wary of in the way of weather, that's for sure.

Even Hawaii had one recently. Hurricane season sure got active in a hurry.