Post favorite cel

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Post favorite cel

Post by Starfighter »

Hello guys,
It has been a while since I was here. Since most if not all of us are stuck at home maybe we can share our favorite cel and a story behind it. Maybe this will be away for all of us to pass the time.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: Post favorite cel

Post by Starfighter »

I would like to start things off with my first cel. This cel of esm was the first of my collecting hobby. I bought the cel because I wanted to own a piece of anime I started watching. I won this cel from a collector who’s name was Emma. I did start chatting with Emma before I won her auction. I did became friends with her as she lived in nj where I’m from up until the time she went off to university. When I received the cels because she included an extra cel, I was shocked. What I thought was going to be something small was this huge beautiful piece of not only art work but history. This cel started me on the path to buying many many more cels.http://moondreams.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=322161
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I have a lot of cels that I think of as favorites, too many to point to one that is "the" favorite. (And when you add sketches, that's a whole new issue.) So I'll just follow Starfighter and post my first one, which does have a good story. (I'll just give the gist, but if you visit these pages you'll get all the historical details if you want them; I'm nothing if not a storyteller in my gallery descriptions.)

Sakura in the Red Rabbit suit chased by The Snowy

I bought this on July 15, 2000, just as I was getting interested in anime and particularly in Cardcaptor Sakura. I'd seen some hanken art online and had been given a few collectors' cards as a freebie with something else I'd ordered. And when I discovered that there were actual animation cels being sold on eBay, I remembered a time long ago when I'd had a chance to get some cels from the Beatles' animated movie Yellow Submarine. I had enough cash to buy one, or maybe two, but I foolishly passed, and I'd regretted the choice years later when I found these cels routinely changing hands in the $K range. I knew I would be on the road when the auction came due, so I posted a strong reserve bid and when I returned I found I'd won.

But as I got more experience, I realized that I'd overpaid for this cel (in terms of early 2000s prices; the price probably would be considered cheap by today's CCS prices). In particular, the cel was missing a top layer showing Syaoran riding along with Sakura and trying to figure out a plan to defeat and seal The Snowy. But I cherished the cel anyway for what it had started in my life, and it was among the "core collection" that I uploaded on Rubberslug at the opening of my gallery in August 2002.

And then, by golly, thirteen years later that lost top layer showed up on Yahoo Japan! And at a time when I was going to be off on a trip. No problem; I brought my laptop along, connected to the hotel wireless, made an excuse at the academic meeting I was attending shortly before the auction came due, and I made darn sure my bid was the winning one.

And so now the image is complete.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Starfighter »

Thank you. I appreciate hearing your story.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Like Sensei I have way too many in our collection from too many series to narrow it down to 1 favorite.

But there are some which I can point to as being from a pivotal point in a series we like that it sets the tone for the rest of the series.

This one from Ranma 1/2 I picked up in 2004 is an example of what I am talking about.
http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... emID=66768

Ranma has just visited with DR. Tofu to get some chiropractic work. In talking about Akane , Ranma tells Dr. Tofu that no one could like such a violent girl who is uncute. Dr. Tofu tells Ranma that the Akane he knows is quite different than that and he can see for himself one day. Then Dr. Tofu hits a pressure point that sets up a delayed reaction later in which Ranma suddenly cannot stand or walk.
Akane says she will help him get home so after a splash of cold water changes Ranma into the lighter to carry Ranma-chan she proceeds to carry him back home. This is the first time Ranma sees Akane's kind side as well as he begins to notice things like the scent of her hair and her muscle tone.

this is the 1st time he starts to view her and anything other than a violent tomboy.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
ToriPagac
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by ToriPagac »

one favorite is too hard so here is not only my newest cel it is still in japan as i type this for save keeping from the COVID but it does fulfill a longtime dream it'sImage from an anti-drinking PSA thats burned into my brain
TC.jpg
TC.jpg (382.9 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

There are couple cels from famous scenes that I really love. But if to pick up a favourite, I would probably go with this one. A Rilezu cel from AIR. Since AIR was not in Cel ages, Kyoto Animation produced some Rilezu cels and make them event gifts and prices. I won this one from auction, the cel includs a Kyoto animation case and 3 signatures from 3 different staffs.
Air may not be the first anime I watch, but is absolutely the first one that brought me into the hobby of watching Japanese anime. Also the first time I “fell in love with” a character from 2d world.
The scene is from ep24, the final eposide, cut 183. Misuzu managed to walk in front of Haruko, step by step, in the last minute of her life. She gave a final hug to her beloved mother. Due to the toughing story along with the excellent Lens language. I cried when “A no umi do ko ma de mo” sounded. Couple years later I even dreamed about this scene and woke up in tears.
Upper signature is from Shinji Orito, the composer of AIR, also the creator of that famous anisome "Tori no uta". This song is the begining of my anime hobby, it is the why I am here typing all those stories today.
Lower left signature if from Itaru Hinoue, anyone who is fan of Key should be super familiar with her, she is the original designer of many many Waifu. And yes, the real "mom" of Misuzu for sure. Even though until 2020, her drawing still looks like 20 years ago, I still put her as one of my favourite illustrator.
Lower right signature is from Aratani Tomoe, the character design of the TV anime. She is also one my favourite animator. Her character design is a symbolic and represent style of Kyoto Animation in early 2000s. If she didn't go to Nintendo, that day, I guess she might be sitting in the third floor..... I can still remember the first time I ever try to draw my favourite anime character myself, I did copy painting form her art work. I took me a whole afternood to figure out how to draw that rectangular stypled eye and put on shades lol.
Every time I look at this cel, I start to memorize those stories. The cel reminds me of the days when anime is so mysterious and fascinating to me.
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
sensei

Post by sensei »

A very moving story, jiangdc, and a beautiful image. I don't have anything so personal and precisely connected to my passion but I do remember watching AIR on fansubs during my early years of contact and being moved by this final scene. It is such a sad, confessional moment, and I remember thinking at one point that the creators simply could not sustain it: it's going to go sentimental, it's going to "jump the shark" as Americans say (i.e., do the same dramatic trick too many times so that it loses its impact). But the drama is solid and powerful to the end.

I have some sketchwork that I think is by Tomoe Aratani, but it's not very impressive, mostly rough suggestions to her animation director (the tragically short-lived Shouko Ikeda) for an episode of Inuyasha that Animation Kyoto handled.

Thank you for sharing.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

While not my "favorite" this was the first time I had ever seen a cel for sale from Rainbow Brite. It was on eBay and apparently everybody else hated this Opening cel, because I bought it for the opening bid of $10. http://stemcels.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... emID=68686