keep ur eyes on the road!

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

Do you use your cell phone when you drive?

yes, I hold it in my hand
23%
yes, but I use a headset, or something to hold my phone
9%
no
68%

Total votes: 22

Candyman
Anime Geek

keep ur eyes on the road!

Post by Candyman »

In one of the largest studies to date on crashes involving distracted drivers, researchers found looking at other accidents, traffic, or roadside incidents caused the largest number of accidents, while cell phone use ranked only sixth.

Researchers found that of all the crashes reported, 98% involved a single distracted driver.

Rubbernecking was responsible for the largest number of accidents reported (16%) followed by driver fatigue (12%), looking at scenery or landmarks (10%), passenger or child distractions (9%), adjusting the radio, tape, or CD player (7%), and cell phone use (5%).

Overall, various distractions inside the vehicle accounted for 62% of the distractions reported. Distractions that came from outside the vehicle accounted for 35% of all distractions, and 3% of the distractions were undetermined.

Nearly two-thirds of the crashes in the study occurred in rural areas and were often caused by driver fatigue, insects entering or striking the vehicle, or animals and unrestrained pet distractions.
- The study was based on data collected by Virginia state troopers between June and November 2002.

I would be part of that cell phone stats, but I drive a clutch, and no power steering, so I have too much going on to talk.

CsuperhoeM --PD n SN17 rock on!
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

People rarely call me, so I don't have a chance to talk while driving. :l
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

I was just reading that on MSN. It actually surprised me that is was down the list so far. The last time some dumbass hit me was because she was on her cel phone. And my sister was just in a wreck caused by another "cel phone driver". :evil:
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

Don't own a cell phone! At least, not now I don't. We never used them, so I cancelled. Actually, I hate phones. Wouldn't have one at all if I didn't have an elderly mom and a sister who insists on living 1/2 a continent away from me.... /an /wah
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!
Candyman
Anime Geek

Post by Candyman »

Momma..
Have the "eldery" one use the internet...
AIM OR YIM is very easy....

VOICE CHAT!!!!
plus a granny-like lady on the internet would be cool. :)

CsuperhoeM --PD n SN17 rock on!
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

I don't own a cell phone either. I don't even answer my regular house phone - I just don't like them. I would prefer to talk to your face or on IM. However, I think people using phones while driving are actually scarier than drunk drivers, so I probably wouldn't do it myself.
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

I had an old computer that I set up for my mom to use to write her memoirs. She just didn't get it. She's 83 — today, as a matter of fact.

One day she asked me, "What's email?" She didn't know what a DVD was, either.

So scratch that! Besides, I'M the "granny" here! Hmmmm... dbzgranny? NAAAAAH!
Vicci

majinvegeta7
Senpai - Elder

Post by majinvegeta7 »

Cell phones, Blah. Bad, No, I hate them all. But yes I do own one, and no one ever calls me.
You can pick you friends. You can pick your nose. But don't ever pick your friends nose, that is gross..
ogr81vegeta
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ogr81vegeta »

:) I seem to be the only one, but i use only my cel phone. my home phone is just a dial up for me, but that will change soon to, I'm going satellite on the internet soon.
As for driving, I just let it ring, and call them back when I get to where I'm going. :)
"Falling from heaven is not as difficult as surviving the impact"
Dragon_gal
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Dragon_gal »

I never answer my mobile phone (as we Brits call it!!) while I'm in the car. Too many times as a pedestrian have I seen drivers on phones turning out of a corner without even braking or looking to see if anyone is about to smash into them. It scares me how many potential accidents I have seen.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I will answer, but not call if I am driving. I am always as brief as possible on the phone. I don't like them, but you can't run multiple businesses without one :(
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

:hitting: ok I'm in the group that doesn't own one! /bawi

/an the damn things are so annoying! They are one of the worst items invented.

The only good use is if your car breaks down out in the boonies you can call for help!

List of monky's top hated cel phone uses:

1. spouses calling to know "whats for dinner?" on BART.And they are 10 min. away from home!
2. going off at a movie/event!
3. people walking down the street talking to someone with a headset on!
hanaeleh
Senpai - Elder

Post by hanaeleh »

Heh. Looks like I'm in the minority. Have a cell phone, use a cell phone. Answer the cell in the car, call on the phone in the car.

I've seen people try to take other cars out just by changing a CD. If people don't have the capacity to do more than one thing, they shouldn't.
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

In New York, it's illegal to talk on the phone while you're driving.

My opinion (and it's just my opinion) is that when you drive, you should concentrate on driving. If you need to talk on the phone, change a CD, pick up something you dropped, get change out of your wallet, smack the kids in the back seat, open up a Mickey D bag, and so on ad nauseum....

...PULL THE FREAKIN' CAR OVER!

Because I guarantee if anything happens to anyone I love because someone wasn't paying attention to their driving, they're going to wish they'd never been born.

:redhot

A good friend of mine was killed in an accident, and the police are pretty sure he was trying to pick up a take-out bag that had fallen to the floor.

Use your head when you drive not your ego.
Vicci

pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

Well said Momma. :)

I only carry my cel phone with me in the car for emergency purposes. I actually turn it off while I'm driving. I'm easily distracted as it is, I don't need more distractions. X|
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.