Do ladies rule...

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

I am...

a lady of course! ^_^
53%
100% man honey! no doubt about it!
45%
right in the middle of changing...
3%

Total votes: 40

glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I did not start cel collecting until I had moved past my other phases:

1) Fast Cars
2) Antique Cars
3) Weapons / Guns and Swords

Maybe there are fewer male collectors because they got stuck in one of the phases (I got to skip the tool phase)

Males: He who dies with the most toys, wins! :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Why didn't you start cel collecting until I had moved past my other phases

1 Fast Cars
2 Antique Cars
3 Weapons Guns and Swords

Maybe there are fewer male collectors because they got stuck in one of the phases I got to skip the tool phase

Males He who dies with the most toys wins?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

Yes.....ladies rule and in more ways than just cel collecting :sweatdrop

I have dealt with to my knowledge about an even split between
female and male collectors. I say to my knowledge cause when
you use a deputy service you dont really find out the gender
of the seller X|

As far as beta goes - hard saying if theres more female then males
and vice a versa. Of the members that post on a regular basis, I'd
say theres more females, to my knowledge. There's times when
I have a hard time finding out the gender of a member just by
post's alone. Sounds stupid but I often think that if a member has
a female avatar then there female, a male avatar - male member.
I know its stupid but what can I say X| That theory has been proven
wrong time and time again :P

BTW I am a guy in case you dont know :wink:
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

I refuse to stop and ask for directions. Obviously I am a man.

I don't know the female to male ratio on Beta although I do perceive the forum as being female-dominated.

I do sincerely believe women tend to get "better" collections.
Of the cels I really had to "fight" for (and losing several times), I strongly believe they were lost to "womens". :)
They really do put their teeth in and bite down when it comes to something they really want : pure gung-ho.
Rationalistion has been my demise several times. I'm now trying to be "irrational" a little more often. :)
Last edited by In_Gabriel_We_Trust on Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

From a couple earlier conversations on this subject over the years I agreed with what several people said when they said that in the last few years that female collectors are more conversive about their cels than the guys (most of the time). Not that there aren't a few guys that talk a lot too, but there seem to be fewer of them overall. Guys cel conversations seem to be more object/cel acquistion-oriented than anime cel character-oriented. Guys might obssess over a character, but they generally don't talk about it like female collectors do. Maybe they don't even see it as an obssession. If you want to hear guys obssessing over fictional Japanese characters you'd have to go to a Ren'ai Games Forum instead. :D

I shouldn't assume too much from just attending the Anime Expo cel meetings, but when I was there from 1998 to 2001 there were always noticeably more guys there. Maybe like 60 percent guys and 40 percent women. Maybe it's different there now I don't know. I haven't gone to an AX cel meeting for awhile and I haven't gone to any other conventions so I have no idea how it is across the country. But when I went through the 700-720 Cels.Org and Rubberslug cel galleries in October 2002 it was still pretty close to being about even gender wise. I DID notice that women's cel galleries tended to be more likely to include comments on their cels than the guys galleries though (non-Rubberslug galleries) which is always interesting to read. :D

:topic Anyone know of an easy way to include text along with your larger cel scan after you click the small thumbnail? I've always wanted to include text that way somehow. :?
Noriko
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Noriko »

Most of my customers on eBay, my website and privatly have been guys...
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I would go a step further and submit that women make up a slight majority of Anime fans in general. After teaching a class on Anime, visiting conventions, and frequenting places that sell Anime, I base this purely on what I have observed. I would put it as close to 60/40 as possible.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I wonder if Usagi's House has an above average number of female customers. I recall a couple of my female cel friends telling me that they liked Usagi's House because she carried certain shoujo anime cels that were less commonly carried by other cel dealers.
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

edit : double post
Last edited by In_Gabriel_We_Trust on Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What is the difficulty?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

I know why this is, but I am not about to say here on the board because I would probably offend some people.....
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Govogeta wrote:Yes.....ladies rule and in more ways than just cel collecting :sweatdrop

Sounds stupid but I often think that if a member has
a female avatar then there female, a male avatar - male member.
I know its stupid but what can I say X| That theory has been proven
wrong time and time again :P
Ladies do seem to make up slightly more of the population than men. I think we tend to obsess sometimes.

And to continue to prove your theory wrong, Govogeta, I'm a lady with a male avatar. But I used to think like you. I chose the male avatar because I love looking at Duo. :iluvu

--duo
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Darth_Bulma
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Darth_Bulma »

I've dealt with an equal number of males and females.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Darth Bulma wrote:I've dealt with an equal number of males and females.
8O I was so waiting for your response. I thought you would pick up on my comment. Dissapointed that you didn't. :P
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

Majin Gohan wrote:Maybe women are into it more because they get their boyfriends or husbands money...LMAO, j/k, I am gonna be smacked for that one!!
My husband would freak if I asked him for any money to feed my habit.
Pudge wrote:I have yet to date a man who makes more money then me.
Oh dear God I wish!