Do ladies rule...

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

I am...

a lady of course! ^_^
53%
100% man honey! no doubt about it!
45%
right in the middle of changing...
3%

Total votes: 40

Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Do ladies rule...

Post by Wendy »

...the cel games?

Now that I got your attention :wink: I was wondering the following:

I have recently made a RS gallery and when uploading the images I realised that a lot of the cels I bought in private sales were from female sellers. :)

This is also the first forum I have been on where there seem to be more female members than male.
So how does the male/female ratio add up here on Beta? and do you think there are more female collectors than male?
(or do you think females are just more obsessive and ruthless in obtaining their ultimate bishonen wishlist cel? :D )

Yes; it's one of those days again...nothing better to do than post silly topics on Beta :|
Keys
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Keys »

When I started collecting, the feel was definitely dominantly male. This was nice because it meant the male character cels were often cheaper (though actually my collection is around 50/50 genderwise). At conventions, it was difficult to see over all the guys. :^^:

Nowadays, it feels about even when I look at conventions in person or talk to people. It might be because I hang out with a lot of males who collect though might not be as involved in the community. I do know that at dealer tables, it's gotten very female in some ways. I also think that females tend to be more chatty on the cel forums while a lot of male collectors I know don't post as much or at all. Furthermore, in certain collecting fandoms of mine, there are more female fans of the show... so when I get into discussions about collecting that series, the males are absent.
Majin Gohan

Post by Majin Gohan »

I have always noticed that women have been the majority in collecting. Maybe that is because I have always been at beta. But the thing that I always found interesting is that it is not only women that dominate, but women older than me. I am 18, and it was weird for me to talk to someone on here, then talk to them on AIM, then find out that they had kids my age. That was definitely shocking to me.

Maybe women are into it more because they get their boyfriends or husbands money...LMAO, j/k, I am gonna be smacked for that one!!

Stephen
:ok:
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Majin Gohan wrote:I am gonna be smacked for that one!!
You're right!

:wack

:P
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I think it is because the men of anime are so hot, and all us women are wondering...."Why can't we find a guy that looks that good?" :bawl

Maybe women are into it more because they get their boyfriends or husbands money...
I have yet to date a man who makes more money then me. :P
Last edited by Gonzai on Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Perhaps later we can be find a guy that looks that good.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Cloud wrote:Perhaps later we can be find a guy that looks that good.
I could only wish Cloud. :drool
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Enough about me, let's talk about my dress.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Echo
Senpai - Elder
Location: The tractor ridin', beer totin', shotgun firin' capital of the world..

Post by Echo »

Cloud wrote:Perhaps later we can be find a guy that looks that good.
Cloud I didn't know you swing that way. :P Good taste though.
hanaeleh
Senpai - Elder

Post by hanaeleh »

I think Cloud is voting for the third option. :)

I, too, have yet to date anyone who makes more money than I. *sighs wistfully* But there's no reason he can't show up ANYTIME now and sweep me off my feet.... *crickets*
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

Cels for Sale!!
http://www.hanaeleh.com/cels/celgallery.html
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Me? You think I am voting for the third option.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
celgami

Post by celgami »

"Women be shoppin'. "
-Reggie, The Nutty Professor

Wait...this isn't the movie quote section.
*wanders out*
Dragon_gal

Post by Dragon_gal »

Majin Gohan Wrote
Maybe women are into it more because they get their boyfriends or husbands money...LMAO, j/k, I am gonna be smacked for that one!!
:hammer and again!!
Ok, well this might get me a smack, but don't you think it is generally the women that have the better collections too, maybe it is because we are more ruthless at getting what we want, as Uende said.
thrance

Post by thrance »

I cant really say myself. I havent been collectiong that long. Only dealt with hm...five? private collectors. 3 womens, one male and a married couple.

Everyone is gonna have different tastes. The majority of my collection so far is female, because the male characters I would want are very costly <for me> or CG. And then, there are monsters. Cute ones, evil ones, undead, <drools> I just love monsters but havent found many around that catch my eye. <Huggles sandworm cel he has>

Hah, and you women wondering where the guys are at that look like anime characters. where the heck are the women who not only look like that but have the awsome personas! Jessie from Pokemon mixed with Ryoko from Tenchi and Yumi from Kenshin persona wise.....oi......oh and a touch of Evil Lyn from He-man <cackles madly>
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I also noticed that females tend to dominate the cel market. Whether crowding at the cel booth at conventions, or browsing through the many galleries on the internet. Hmmmm, maybe someone should write an essay about the Gender Phenomona of Cel Collecting. :wink:

I agree with whoever said that pretty shonen guys are part of the reason! :P Yum, now that I think of it, all the male characters I collect are pretty boys! :D
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com