Harry Potter~The Prisoner of Azkaban...Thoughts...Reviews...

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

What did you think about the movie?

It was the BEST yet!
38%
It was OK.
13%
It was a poor attempt of doing the book any justice.
25%
*throws it onto the flame*
25%

Total votes: 8

Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Harry Potter~The Prisoner of Azkaban...Thoughts...Reviews...

Post by Ms. Poe »

I saw it...And am totally pissed. It did no justice to the book...And so many important things were left out. I won't go into detail for those of you who haven't seen it yet...But if you're a fan of the books like I am...You'll be greatly disappointed....

*sigh*

Sirius Black...It needed more of him...More depth to him ;_;! All the characters were just sorta brushed over...and emotion like in the book was amiss in the movie...Several...NO...MORE than several important parts to the whole series were non-existant....ARRRRGH!

Thoughts? Opinions? Frustrations? Feel free to share ^_^/!
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

------spoiler FREE-----------
I also saw it last night. This was the first movie of the series that I saw in which I hadn't read the book so I can't say anything about missing parts. I can say that I thought it was a great movie. I really liked it and I thought it was better than the first two. I even liked the style of the film with the new director. I do agree with you though in that I wish there was more character development of Sirius. All of a sudden he was there! Even with that flaw, I liked the movie. No complaints from me.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I was incredibly disappointed in the casting job. Lupin and Black did not look at all like J.K.R. describes them...
Perhaps the movie will grow on me, but all I can say is that I'm glad I got to see it for free. If I'd actually paid, I'd be more pissed than I am.
Ms. Poe

Post by Ms. Poe »

*read below...Spoilers within*
Last edited by Ms. Poe on Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ms. Poe

*Spoilers Contained Within*

Post by Ms. Poe »

I'm trying to keep this thread spoiler-free for those who haven't seen it...But...It's made from a book...So most everyone knows what should happen....LOL...

Well...After sleeping on it...I've come to this conclusion...I still hate it...LOL!

There were so many key elements left out...It's ridiculous. I mean...Black...I loved his character...And...I do believe him and the new Prof. were a great casting call. If you're a fan of Oldman like I am...You know he can go from scary to insanely sexy in a flash. JKR said Black is supposed to be the sexiest character in the whole series...She even said something along the lines of him in tight leather...*drool*....Well...Anyway...

*SPOILER*

In the end where you finally meet Black in person Oldman does a good job with what he was given...But it still did his character no justice. They left out the part where Black curls up on the bed shivering, almost in tears when Harry screams at him for practically murdering his parents...And they left out his heart-warming note to Harry at the very end of the book. To me this was key into Black's character ;_;...And it's been totally left out.

And what about the NAMES on the Marauder's map? They play *VITAL* roles in the next books!!!! They were totally blown over...They never explained who was who!!!

ARRRGH!

There's a TON of other stuff left out too....But I'm not going ot rant about it here....*sigh*

If you're a true Potter fan...It may be fun just to see what this new director did for the book...But for me he did nothing but ruin the whole magic up to this point.

There were a few things well done...The Marauder's Map was awesome...Buckbeak was perfect, and the Dementor's were well designed.

*END SPOILERS*

All-in-all...For a fan it was VERY...VERY DEPRESSING. I will see it again just to see if my first impressions are the correct ones(but only if someone else is paying...LOL)...But...The book continues to be a masterpiece in the saga. So, I HIGHLY suggest everyone read that...And then compare it to the movie....And then see how you feel about how the movie does the series any justice.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I don't think I have read continues to be a masterpiece in the saga.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I don't think I have read continues to be a masterpiece in the saga.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I believe I read somewhere that there is going to be yet a THIRD director for the next un-filmed Harry Potter movie. Does anyone know if this is true?

Ms. Poe - okay, I agree that Oldman makes a good Sirius Black, but I am still amazingly disappointed in Remus Lupin's actor. It just didn't seem like him at all...especially with the facial hair.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I saw it 3 weeks ago at a special screening and really enjoyed it. But I went in knowing that it wouldn't be exactly like the book. It can't be. There were timing restrictions placed on the crew as well as budget. I think they did a great job keeping it close to the book.

IMHO, I don't think it was critical at all to explain who the names are on the map. It was an interesting tidbit in the book but not really necessary. The scene you described in your spoiler section with Black (I'm also trying to keep the spoilers down.) was great for the book but again not necessary for the movie. We saw the more crucial moments later outside that explain things in the 4th movie/book.

The way I look at movies made from books is that they are just summaries. If you really want to go full in depth in the characters, that's when you read the books. If everything in the book was in the movie, what would be the point of reading the book?

And yes, there is a third director for the 4th movie now in production. This last director (names escapes me) said basically he's done it and now it's time to move on to the next project.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Which way is that?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Whatever way he wants to go, Cloud.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Enough about me, let's talk about my dress.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Only if you decide to make a movie about your dress, Cloud. :kiss
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I think I do.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

I haven't seen the film yet, nor have I read any of the books (which apparently may be advantage/disadvantage when seeing it.)

But from what I've seen and heard, it looks like a great dark action flick when some hilarious moment... which is right up my (diagon)alley..... (couldn't resist :D )
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?