star wars on dvd..must buy or a flaming pile o poo?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

Will you be buying the star wars trilogy on dvd?

Absolutely! My Jar Jar costume is all ready for release day!
25%
Eh-if it's on sale, I may pick it up. If not, eh, it doesn't break my heart
42%
Hell no! I'll stay at home and re-enact scenes with action figures before I buy that overhyped redone trash!
33%

Total votes: 12

Tabbykitty
Senpai - Elder

star wars on dvd..must buy or a flaming pile o poo?

Post by Tabbykitty »

Ok, here's a nice poll and discussion topic...the upcoming release of the star wars trilogy on dvd. Notice, I don't say original, because Lucas has cut the royal poo out of them, stuffed in a number of cgi shiny effects, replaced scenes/dialogue, and generally made them even less worthy to see then the rerelease with his "new shiny cut" a few years ago!

-I am a little opinionated on this topic, if you can't tell- :)

I was still thinking of buying the trilogy, even with what he did to jedi in the rerelease, even though yes, I fell into the pit of buying the trilogy 3 times on vhs (regular, remastered, special shiny release). However, I read a blurb on amazon tonight that Lucas changed even more things with these new releases-and that made me decide hell no-he's not getting any more of my money!
Here's an example-In Empire Strikes Back, the hologram emperor scenes have now been redone with the actor from jedi/prequels, with new dialogue. Boba Fett's voice has also been changed, to be consistent with the guy who played Jango Fett in episode 2. And in Jedi, Hayden Christensen is now inserted as the ghost of Vader...and those are just a few changes!!

Lucas can do whatever he wants with his work, but the originals (without his shiny new footage/effects) should be made available. They are part of american culture, and scifi culture as a whole, and exist as a component of modern mythology.

So I will be skipping this and watching my tired old vhs copies instead. So I am curious, how many people out there feel the same, different, don't care?
You fight quite well for being such a ... little man-Android 18
http://tabbykitty101.rubberslug.com/
:cat
Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Nathan »

I wish they would release the originals by themselves... not with all the new effects - and have the new effects as an option to watch. Have a release where you can choose. I like the idea behind the continuity, and had heard that the hologram would be Hayden Christendon. This is all well and good, and it doesn't bother me too much -but I get annoyed that the original cut is not available to watch in the new releases. Digitially remastered is great - new scenes (though some soooo did not need to be put in) fine - but to make this the only available version in the new boxed set is argh!!! - I might end up buying it - just to see how the new scenes work in - plus I think it has a bit on the last episode in the new trilogy.
...just one more
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I hope that your dreams come true.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

Geez, you people are so picky and demanding.
If it pushes your button so much, go on eBay and buy the original trilogy on VHS. It's not like there's a federal ban on you never seeing it. But if we all complained about what we wanted to see on DVD but can't at the moment, this thread would devour us all...
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

lol, :crackup well i'll stick to my vhs only because thats how i remember it in the movie theater. So poo, definitely poo, poo, a flaming pile o poo, i'll buy the poo, can it be steaming? I like Nathan's idea, give as an option, its not as though Lucas doesnt have the resources to make it happen. Besides, i just need the money for anime and cels. :wink:
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I hadn't heard about this. I feel sorry for the actors that have now officially disappeared from the movies, but that in itself wouldn't cause me to not to want to buy them.

More of a consideration to me is that I rarely buy any DVDs from live action movies anymore because I rarely rewatch them (no time). So I had vote for the middle choice. It doesn't matter much to me if I bought it or not. I wouldn't mind renting it just to see the changes.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

This reminds me of the wonderful South Park episode where the boys go to Lucas' home to try to persuade him to stop "remaking and re-releasing" his old movies. Too funny! :P

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
naria
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by naria »

While I wish Lucas would just release it on dvd in the original theatrical versions, I will probably pick it up on dvd anyway. My VHS tapes are pretty much gone anyway...
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I'll quote Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back on this one...

"That's the dumbest idea I've heard since Greedo shooting first."

I bought a bootleg copy of the original (un-fu$%ed-with) version of the trilogy. It was transferred to DVD from laserdisc and is perfect. Lucas is an idiot if he think he can take away MY movie and replace it with some PC pile of crap. I hope the DVD sells poorly so he can get the message. But folks will probably buy it anyway.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

the original version was fine the way it was. damn it, leave it that way.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Don't be angry. Sayonara.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I just watched the revised ending of Return of the Jedi with the ghost scene at the very end and Hayden Christensen really looked like a dork in that scene.

Anakin the dork. lol :^^:
Marauder
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Marauder »

Hey Jenn--"Free Hat! Free Hat!" Haha, that was a great episode.

I definetly agree that the originals should be released in some form on DVD, but even so, I'll buy the new DVDs.
Elendil
Kamisama - God

Re: star wars on dvd..must buy or a flaming pile o poo?

Post by Elendil »

Tabbykitty wrote:-I am a little opinionated on this topic, if you can't tell- :)?
Im glad to know there are others out there that feel the same way as me. :D *If* I were to even buy the original Star Wars in any form (I personally think its a fun movie, but not all that great) I will break my "no bootleg" rule and find some nice Hong Kong version or something with all the original scenes on it. It really pisses me off that George Lucas doesn't even acknowledge the changes he's made as being changes, his additude is that "thats how I intended it in the first place." This combined with the dreck that is Episodes 1 & 2, and my respect for George Lucas gets lower and lower every year (did you know Episode 3 is going to be called The Revenge of the Sith? lame..)

Nikki
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What does "this" refer to?
-I, Robot (Asimov)