Locking Global Announcements

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Locking Global Announcements

Post by Remi »

I was just wondering if it would be possible to lock future global announcement threads when they are created to prevent additional posts on them. I just find that with people adding their gratitude/comments/tests to the thread every few minutes, it means every time I come here to visit I think there is a new global announcement only to discover it was simply a thank you or such on the previous one. It's not a huge deal, but it is somewhat inconvenient, especially when perusing during work when I have limited time to see what's new.

However, far be it for me discourage expressions of gratitude, as I include myself amongst those who are very grateful for all the work done to maintain this site! I just think that the thankful masses could come to this section and start a thank-you thread on the new feature that wouldn't create the false belief that there is a new global post from the administration.
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
Mirai_Peorth
Senpai - Elder

Post by Mirai_Peorth »

Honestly, I don't think locking them would be a good idea. For example, in the latest announcement, a Beta member was having a problem utilizing the feature. Being able to post about it makes it easier to get support from other members. Plus, if you just PM someone about it, what if someone else has the same problem?

I just think its nicer keeping them open. :D
"Practice safe Zechs - Use a Gundam." - Unknown
OrdinaryWorld
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by OrdinaryWorld »

I agree Nephreena because If I could lock them I wouldn't have been able to see you were trying to contact me as soon as I resinged onto after being on hiatus.
T.J.
Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Remi »

For example, in the latest announcement, a Beta member was having a problem utilizing the feature. Being able to post about it makes it easier to get support from other members. Plus, if you just PM someone about it, what if someone else has the same problem?
You could just start a new thread in this section asking for help with issue, instead of it showing up under the Please Read category. I think most members who would see it in the original thread would also see it in an additional one made here.
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

It will tell you if it is new or has responses, so you can ignore it if it is not new 8)
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

That could work. Magician could post a feedback thread for all the new additions, and that could cover both thanks and questions.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I try to answer as precisely as possible.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

Sorry for not answering this before. I came home last night and fell asleep almost immediately. It's been (and continues to be) one of those hell weeks at work. I have the CIO at my desk every day now.

Typically I put my global announcements in "Please Read" because I have that forum set up to display on the main portal page. I can put the global announcements in any forum I want, and for most new features, I will put them here in Forum talk. The album hack is a pretty major addition and I wanted it to be seen on the main portal page.

Now that most people know about it and many have added to it, I moved the thread here to forum talk. Once the glitches are worked out and the "personal gallery" feature is explained, I will reset it to a normal thread.

I tell ya what I will do in the future for things like this. If the announcement is for a new feature, I will make my global in "please read" and leave it up for one day. After that I will move it to the forum talk for the ensuing dialog. That should satisfy the Q&A period that follows major new toys while not lighting the "please read" section like the Clark Griswold christmas lights every time you sign in. For other announcements like the recent outage for the upgrade, I will leave those posts in Please Read.

Speaking of new toys....I found a daily horoscope hack for the portal. Since I have the astrological signs showing up, I thought it might be fun to have the horoscopes to match for the heck of it. What do you think? Anyone want to see their horoscope?

-M
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Magician wrote: Speaking of new toys....I found a daily horoscope hack for the portal. Since I have the astrological signs showing up, I thought it might be fun to have the horoscopes to match for the heck of it. What do you think? Anyone want to see their horoscope?
Only if they are done anime-style.

Libra - A mysterious beautiful young member of the opposite sex will literally
fall out of the sky into your life. Simultaneously, every member of the
opposite sex that you meet will fall hopelessly in lust with you while every
member of the same sex will want to kill you or at least do you bodily harm.
Expect endless complications in your love life.

Scorpio - Take the time today to clean up your surroundings. In doing so,
you will uncover forgotten treasures in your life, such as that 100 ft mecha
in the secret military base underneath your house.

Aries - Today is a good day for travel. Pack your bag because you will
shortly fall into a portal into another dimension.