just. . .

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

I've been keeping a low profile because of my own personal opinions about momo incident and all (not to mention I gots a nasty cold and dont wanna spread pink eye to the online world lol). But I think I should say something in regard to this.

I think Kisara meant for this thread to be open for nice honest FAQ over whats happened to our board recently. I seriously think members should read what DW posted in its entire-ty (cant spell im sorry) on the 1st page before making a comment about the mods' decision or anything regarding the situation.

Thou I have my own agreements and disagreements on the situation-- the last few pages has rubbed salt on the wound once more. Bottom line--
Everyone needs to chill out! Regardless of your opinion, this experience is fresh. I myself, have stopped posting because I know how hot-headed I can be when im acting on pure emotion. To avoid any brash comment I take a small leave. Theres nothin wrong about it. It doesnt make anyone a winner or loser, its only natural to step back when you know you'll put your foot in your mouth. Thats the case w/ me and thats why I took the measure.

Magician: I dont speak for anyone but myself for this, but being a Mod and/or Admin is a tough job. A job not many of us would be willing or able to take up. Theres so much responsibility and leadership involved. I
think its too easy for ppl to point out flaws than merit points. Its an ugly part of society. But just know that many of us do comend you and the others for the jobs you do. I know I do. ^_^ Im really sorry that you feel your being attacked. I really hope that you do come back to Beta... its a shame to lose more ppl because of this. ;_; :hurt:

Nida: Ive sent you a pm. I really feel hurt by all this, Im sure you do too. Please dont go. :l
Sakura-chan
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Sakura-chan »

I unfortunately do not have the wisdom to post in cases like this... but I just couldn't let it be.

I just wanted to say that I truly meant what was in my first post in this thread... you're all my family. To see everything like this is hurting me way more than I thought. I've grown to like every single member of this board and it just makes me sad to see what a recent incident has brought upon.

I believe that Shampoo has the right words in this case... time heals most scars. So I'll be talking some time away to myself, in hopes that it will help clear out the future. I still believe that our bonds can heal this, and may even make us stronger.

And please, Magi, Pudge, take your time to ponder your decision. You are an essential part of Beta... like we all are, together.

Sakura-chan
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Only just? Oh I see. That which is not outside his or her first post in this thread.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Just

Post by JWR »

Whoa there everyone,

Let's everyone take a step back and take a deep breath.

I think there is a lot of overreaction that if you stop and look at it clearly is very much out of character for a lot of you Beta Members.

This whole incident was created by a problem person who upset the a lot of the Beta members including myself. I was the one who then emailed Magician complaining that oversight from the moderators was lacking in my opinion and that something was needed to keep this board from degrading into what I have seen on other forums who a lot of you are aware of.

Magician to his credit acted in what he believes to be the best interest of Anime-beta as a whole. The moderators have pledged to be more proactive in tiring to keep this a fun place to gather and freely express opinions in a respectful manner. I for one applaud them and even if you may have some disagreement over some of the decisions and actions made do understand that they were made in the effort to put this whole incident behind us. I do think that most of us have strong emotions that may cloud us from seeing the other side and understanding. Those who were effected are our friends and it is normal to rally behind and defend those you care about. Take just a minute and try to detach yourself from the people involved. Would you be as upset if the people involved were Joe Doak & Mary Jones?

Even though we share a hobby of watching & collecting from our favorite Anime we are still adults and can act towards another in a respectful manner. That is just plain common sense not "censorship" I never saw anything in the posts from Magician or any of the Mod's who spoke their piece on this issue that would lead me to believe otherwise. Does anyone truly believe that any of the administrators or mod's enjoy having to be the policeman. If we as Beta members can go back to what we were doing before this incident happened and enjoy ourselves while having a respect for each other even if it mean agreeing to disagree then the mods will never have to intercede.

Magician & Pudge, I think you are both guilty of over reacting to the posts in this thread. Magician if you reread all the posts since your post sun-jun5-2005 11:52am you would find 32 positive posts not including clouds, 1 post that mentioned censorship directly and 2 others that mentioned to word censorship but made no accusation of it being applied to Beta just stating that censorship in general is something we would not like to see. Pudge the post you reacted to was not directed at you personally and in truth your apology was so far back in this thread chances are a person just clicking on the last page would not have even seen it. What was in that post you reacted to was just a statement of the facts you alluded to in you post as well as the other Mod's and Magician.

The Mod's as well as the administration have a hard job and deserve our help and support. As far as I can see the problems are behind us. Lets all learn from this and realize that if we all do our part Beta can go back to being the fun place we enjoy. It's why we joined is it not.

Joe Ryan - JWR

Edit: After reading Goldknights global post that went out while I was typing this I now understand that Magician and the Mod's have been recieving a lot of Critical PM's that may have primed them to react in a way I precieved as an overreaction in this post.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

One last post this morning before I close my mouth for a bit.

Apologies to all the mods -- especially Magician -- for my outburst last night. As well as to everyone else.

I was exhausted, I was emotional, and--not to put too fine a point on it--I've been sitting around all weekend waiting to find out whether I have cancer.

That's not really a good excuse for snapping at you all, but after a whole weekend under those conditions, and trying to be as positive as possible, seeing the tone turn negative again just put me over the edge.

Again, my apologies to everyone.

Oh, and for the record, I agree with both Magician and JWR on the censorship issue. I don't believe it was censorship, just reinforcing good behavior -- which I personally did not exhibit!
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kisara »

Shampoo wrote:
I think Kisara meant for this thread to be open for nice honest FAQ over whats happened to our board recently. I seriously think members should read what DW posted in its entire-ty (cant spell im sorry) on the 1st page before making a comment about the mods' decision or anything regarding the situation.
At-least I know someone "got-it."

Mods. . . I'm truly sorry if this thread has made things worse for y'all. Was not my intention at-all.

At-any-rate, I think I'll be joining those taking a break from beta. Luv y'all, but this has just gotten entirely too. . . stoopid. A lot of ya need to grow-up. Or, at the very least, learn to read an entire thread before flying off the handle. Come to think of it, for some of ya, learning to read an entire post would be a start.

C'ya.
"You have to keep your whits about you when you're losing your mind." - a friend

:P
Kujaku
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Kujaku »

Well, I guess my effort of trying to make everything light and funny didn't work either. I'm sorry how this thread turned out for both sides. I hope that a break for some people will help air things out and we all can have one big hug with everyone back the way it was.
As Ashura always says "Group hugs always seems to makes things better :ghug: "

Kujaku
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

Well, all I can say is that this situation looks like this:

But I know that all of us, hurt feelings aside, cares about each other and I just want to say that each of us are essential to what made Beta such a great place to be.....let's try and keep it that way! And yes, group hugs always make everything better :ghug:

Ashura
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I agree with the sentiment that mods have a tough job, and they cannot be everywhere at once. However, I do think the actions taken against Uende and Gabe were premature at best. Uende and Gabe have been on this board for a long time, longer than some of the mods in fact. They deserve the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. I agree with magician that flaming someone is wrong. You should never call someone a name or attack them for no reason. But Gabe and Uende were antagonized, and with no mods jumping into the fray they reacted. In fact, I think they even held back a little. I applaud them both for what they did, because it shows that beta members will not tolerate instigators on this forum.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

Ashura wrote:Well, all I can say is that this situation looks like this:

But I know that all of us, hurt feelings aside, cares about each other and I just want to say that each of us are essential to what made Beta such a great place to be.....let's try and keep it that way! And yes, group hugs always make everything better :ghug:

Ashura
I agree with Ashura and Shampoo. I personally dont want to see anyone go, thats why i came here because all you cool guys and gals are here. :love2

I love Ashura's gif :rollin , yep... this situation is the little scratch on the roof of your mouth that would heal if only you could stop tonguing it, but you can't.

So i offer hugs :ghug: to all the upset people here, (its my ploy to keep you here because i wont let go. Mwhahahaha :nya:) :hello
Mirai_Peorth
Senpai - Elder

Post by Mirai_Peorth »

Shampoo and Uende can't leave anyway. I still have a bunch of chairs for them!! :P

**Shampoo knows what I'm talking about**
"Practice safe Zechs - Use a Gundam." - Unknown
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

Hi, everyone. When Uende and Gabe gave me their permission to make our discussion public, both said, of their own will, that they would not add to it. I did, as well. As Kisara said, this thread is for the members.

But I want to say one thing, as an aside. I've been here a long time, too, quietly. A lurker, I suppose. And while the moderators work as a team, what happened here was my choice. I did not first ask the other mods their opinions, and so any fallout (good, bad, or indifferent) is my responsibility. Now go read that awesome post Wendy and Gabe put together, for all our sakes. It's up in the Global.

~ Deadly Whispers
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Long post

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

I go gambling for one weekend and all hell breaks loose.

I know that there are some people here don't like me either, but I feel I've finally made a niche here and before this happened I felt like part of the community after my initial bump when I arrived. So bear with me as I try to sum this up.

Admins have a very hard job, being one on an unpopular board really opened my eyes, you just can't please everybody. They are human also and thus act and make decisions to the best of their ability. Yes I too thought the admin intervention was a bit harsh but at the time when they flew into the situation they HAD to do what was best. At the time I would have made the same decision.

Members and Admins who truely care about this place shouldn't turn and leave when a bump is hit. I know feelings were hurt and I know wrongs were performed but family is family guys, and you just can't get out of it that easily. I love all you guys by god, and I'll put up a struggle before letting anybody go.

Uende was protecting her family in a long absence of admins so I can see her point in this whole matter

Gabe was doing the same thus I understand him as well.

Pudge didn't have someone cover for traveling absence and apologized in a well writen thread. You are forgiven by me.

Magician, we all know you have done well by all of us and we all approve of what you have done to keep this community alive and thriving. That last post I read was disturbing to me and didn't sound like the Magician that could have molded this board. I think a sabatical or a vacation would be best for you and I will wait for the day when you are back.

I can't believe that over a little flame war we have members AND admins leaving. Take a break if you like, but it does kind of rattle the foundation when admins start taking things personally and reacting in public.

I've been part of a good number of forum boards, I still post on some but have left the rest either due to Nazi admins or inconsiderate and just plain confrontive members. This place is way different and I'd like to keep it that way. Anime Beta stole my heart, and I for one am NOT going to leave my family just because we hit another bump.

:cheers Pass me the tequilla shots. I'm ready.
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

[EDIT]I've been advised that my comments may be taken the wrong way so I've just deleted it. I'd better not say anything on this subject and leave you all to it. Take care.[/EDIT]
DBZ Cel Maniac
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by DBZ Cel Maniac »

I usually stay away from topics like this one because to me it is childish. I don't really care if you like me or not...not here to win a popularity contest. I know what kind of person I am and I don't need any ones seal of approval, my conscious is clear and that is pretty much what makes it all right for me.

If people started looking less for someone to blame and would take more responsibility for what they do say this would have not gone as far as it did. I have seen this before on several occasions and it will more than likely will happen again, because we are dealing with individuals.

I can honestly say that a lot of the ways people express themselves here I personally don't like them, but hey that is my personal view. I hate to bring the religion card into play but it is a prime example of what I am talking about. A year or so back there was a feud about some religious comments on threads, signatures etc. Some don't mind and some do mind, some people left because of it and some remained. But to me is very insulting to see a words like this one "OMFG!!!!" and I am not going to mention any names, similar expressions gets tossed around like nothing. It seems like this is acceptable, I don't mean to start a fight with anyone but it seem to me that we are less considerate in the way we express ourselves because it is acceptable. Despite of it I don't have any personal vendetta with the people that write like that, if the forum permits that kind of language and expressions for its members I have 2 choices either stay or go. If you stay you know that you are going to be reading this kind of stuff or maybe not if people start taking more into account what they put out there, but regardless it is going to be there as long as people keep taking this kind of language as acceptable and ok. Same goes for personal insults and put downs. It is an open forum, a place where you can express your ideas, opinions and other things that is why before insulting someone or going rampant with expression like that out in a open medium we should take a better look at the way we are expressing ourselves. Granted you are expressing yourself and you have a right to do it, but at the same time you have the choice of being vulgar or polite in doing so, insulting or not. It comes down to on how do you want to present yourself and being considerate.

I don't get into an argument with every single person that writes down something I don't like. It is pretty simple like Magician said there are rules by which we have to play by, like it or not...stick to them.