online chat... a failure? some ideas maybe

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
purple-plum
Kishin - Fierce God

online chat... a failure? some ideas maybe

Post by purple-plum »

Well,
I check the chat room once in a while and the past 3 times i've checked it, it's been empty. It's a little sad that the novelty has worn off already but I have a few suggestions.

1) maybe we can arrange a few times a day when we know people are free and meet up like after dinner or at night so like 8 Pm Central time or 11 Pm central time.

2) I know a lot of anime fans are insomniacs -_- myself being one of them so maybe a 1 am chat.

3) Maybe we can have chats themed around certain series?

I dunno, I thought the chat was such a great idea, but no one seems to be using it.

~Katie
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Eventually (when there's time to implement the option) it would be nice to be able to know who's in the chat room before you enter it. That way if someone we want to talk to is in there we can instantly spring forth and enter the chat room. :D
wwwpurple-plumcom wrote: 3) Maybe we can have chats themed around certain series?
That's a good idea.
hyelakingsfan
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by hyelakingsfan »

I saw it about 3 days ago and i checked each time and no one was there, so i was just messing around with the smileys and waiting for someone to come and no one ever came. I thought maybe i was doing something wrong but i guess i wasnt. And yes, putting certain series would be a great idea. :wink:
BleedingOrange
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: I am everywhere and yet, nowhere... all at the same time. Whoa.

Post by BleedingOrange »

As far as I know, nobody ever has or does go in the chatroom unless it is arranged. Group chats ya know. And even then, not everyone shows up. What would be cool is, if you guys could get a VA to come and chat with us for an hour or so and make it an event. Monitored and all of course.

I would assume getting a VA of some kind would require some $$$, but it would be fun and might even bring new members to the place. I've been to a few cons and I'm pretty sure some of them would do it. I can't think of his name, but the guy who plays Vash in Trigun and the guy who does the voice for Spike in CB or Gene in Samurai Champloo would probably do it.

Orrrr.... just arrange a time for everyone to chat. I probably wont ever be there though unless its a sunday night.
Visit: Bleeding Orange - DBZ Cel Gallery
"It seems a demon has possessed your trousers... care for an exorcism?"
Lynxa
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: The Post Katrina Big Easy, Not quite as big but still just as easy.

Post by Lynxa »

Well on another site I'm on, whenever you go in the chatroom you put up a post saying you're in there and what time it is (so people know if it's too late). Then people know there's someone in there and they can go chat!

Let's face it, there aren't enough Beta members for it to be full all the time and usually people just go and look and leave if it's empty (who in the hell wants to hang around in an empty chatroom?). What if you're just barely missing five or six people? And how are people supposed to know there's someone in there? Osmosis? I check the boards WAY more frequently than the chatroom.

So if you're going in, post! They will come! :D

It would be cool if the little "chat" icon could have a number after it signifying how many people are in the room. :P
Chzbrgr of Doom Better than the show at this point.
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

Moved to the Fourm Talk/Suggestion Box fourm

I think that posting when you are in the chat in the Chat Room fourm (we could possibly make a single thread for this) or arranging chats in there would be a good idea to make better use of the Chat room.
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Oh! It's definitely NOT a failure! I haven't used it very often, but a couple of times I've popped in there and found a few very interesting people to chat with for a bit.... I really feel like I know those people a lot better now, just from the bit o'chat we had! I dont have tons of time at a stretch to chat, but I do enjoy popping in and enjoying the random betan's company occasionally! :)

I also asked Magician if we could have a little list somewhere on the outside of the chat room saying who was inside, and he said he was working on it. So that may help a bit for some interaction. Give it time to catch on... I actually still forget it's there sometimes, so maybe instead of the fun having worn off already, maybe not enough people have experienced the fun yet and it will get better and better as we go along. :)
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I jumped in the other day from a thread that said that there were chatters in the room. Unfortunately, I can't type fast enough to keep up with a group, so I just read a lot. Fun anyway :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I think people are also spending quite a bit of time in Rubberslug's new chat room
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

One reason why they do might be because they know who is in the chatroom before they decide to join. X|
Whereas the beta one, you can't tell if someone is in the room or not-- hence why noone is ever in there or at least at the same time.

I think coming up w/ a weekly chat schedule might be best!
Some sorta time we can all agree on maybe on the weekend? :wink:

Justa friendly suggestion! :vict