Beta bugs - Email address change in particular

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Beta bugs - Email address change in particular

Post by magician »

Hey everyone. I know some odd things have been popping up here lately. The software that runs Beta is called phpBB. This year more security exploits have been found in the software than I can count. The developers patch one bunch and end up creating more problems. I have had to update the software 7 times this year with another one pending. There are times I have considered moving to different software, but that would eliminate all the customizations I have done here and it would mean the end of Cloud. I like what Beta has become so I will keep patching as time permits.

I have promised a bunch of new hacks over the last several months, but I literally get derailed everytime I get started by a new phpBB patch. For anyone interested, we started 2005 running phpBB v2.0.10. Later today I will be updating to 2.0.18 so if things seem more squirrely than usual tonight, look to see if I'm signed in.

One of the biggest problems that started with the upgrade to 2.0.17 is related to email address changes. Right now I have the board set to require admin approval of new user accounts. This is to prevent bots and spammers from flooding the forum with bogus accounts and harvesting email addresses. Unfortunately, the last upgrade changed the way activation is handled. I now have to be signed in to activate accounts.

What this means to all of you is this. phpBB looks at email address changes as a significant security risk. Serious enough that it disables your account and sends an email to the new address with a link that is supposed to reactivate the account. This is to ensure people aren't using bogus email addresses. Unfortunately, the bug that forces me to login to activate new accounts also requires admin rights to reactivate existing disabled accounts . That's why many of you have seen the "you are not authorised" error when trying to reactivate your account. The new patch is supposed to correct this problem.

There are 33 other bugs fixed in the new patch. Too many for me to list here. Hopefully applying this won't cause any new heartache for you guys. I hope to get this upgrade completed tonight.

Please feel free to post, PM, or e-mail me with any bugs, wierd behavior, or frustrations you run into on the boards. I don't post much anymore, but I sign in every day to see how things are going.

-M
Last edited by magician on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Thanks for the update and the hard work, Magician ! :)
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

Yeah, Thank you magician!

Please patch away. I'll just think of Beta as a "Coat of many Colors" like Dolly Parton sings. :P
yoshito
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by yoshito »

Good luck with the updates. Friend of mine has his forum on phpBB and has the same headaches, although his comes when the host shuts the site down till he updates it. =P
Click here if you agree with InuYasha.
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

Thanks for keeping everything running smoothly!

I'm not a bad girl......

I'm just a good girl being bad for you
Strictly-Dragonball
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Strictly-Dragonball »

Thanks for the update. Keep up the hard work :)
Love me when I least deserve it, for that is when I most need it-Proverb/Protector Wind
HJ Hodgson

Me and my twin sister

'Love me when I least deserve it, for that is when I most need it'-Proverb
Bevhippy
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Bevhippy »

Cheers Magician We all really appreciate all the hard work you put in to keeping Beta alive.
Depressed beyond tablets,
Bored beyond pills!!!
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Ditto what everyone else said about all your hard work, Magician. Thank you, so much, for working behind the scenes so tirelessly.

And, by all means ... please continue to patch! I don't want to lose Cloud!! I love that little guy. Watching him change and "grow" has been one of the neatest things about being on this forum. Beta would not be as much fun without him.
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Thanks for asking politely. I will continue.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Oh, good! 'Cuz I would miss you, Cloud!

*huggles 'Da Bot*
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

I don't think we realize how much work goes into keeping this forum healthy etc.

Thanks Magician :)
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

:bwall

I started looking at this patch last night and decided to hold off for the night. This is the biggest single upgrade that's been released. 36 core files get changed. I don't know how many more in the individual skins will get doctored. This upgrade is also known to break several hacks including the global announcement and the last visit.

I need to sit back and look at this for a little while before I start carving. I may have to disable all the skins but subsilver before I start this. I will let you know what I do.

-M
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Is anyone having problems posting? I tried to post something earlier today and the post completely disappeared... lol Could that have something to do with the current issues going on with the message board?
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Thanks, magician!!! :D
Cats rule!