Had to say it...

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!

Do you think it is right for people to join beta just to sell their goods?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 24

ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Aren't we cel collectors? Don't you want to know if a wishlist is put up for sale?
That is true :) Also we dont know if they just post that and that is it. There is no way to tell if they read posts or not. Also Like WC said they might be to shy and such to actually want to post a reply to something.

I know I didnt have a fun start here but I moved on and I now enjoy reading and posting, but then again not everyone does. :wink:
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

When I checked a few hours ago there were 699 Beta members registered here. Between the #3 and #52 top posters at Beta we have had a total of 117,982 posts. That's a 2360 post count average between the top 50 posters. 8O

On the other end, 269 Beta members have a total of 898 posts. That's an average of 3.34 posts per person between those 269 members.

So a lot of Beta's activity is being generated by only fifty members. 8O
aernath
Perv-chan
Location: Half way across the country from where I was last time!

Post by aernath »

I started out shy, but now you just wish you could shut me up! :P
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

aernath wrote:I started out shy
You? Shy? SHY?

:crackup :rollin :OMG :puzzled :crazy :cucu :wow: :roll :nuts :rollin :crackup

/kis /kis2
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
kaminari
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by kaminari »

Sometimes I wonder if people have applied this label to me because Ive been really desperate for cash lately and posting a lot of sales.

I post sales when I really need the money, like right now.. (which has been more often lately ever since I started to live by myself in an expensive city like Ft Lauderdale 2 miles from the beach)

On those days when Im eating nothing but crackers and drinking tap water because Im swamped in payments and dont have any money and just cant seem to get the money I need, thats when I sell.

Im not a cel dealer and I hate parting with my cels, and sometimes I need to get rid of a few. I feel its a nice outlet to appeal to fellow collectors directly, but rest assured, its not my intention to use this forum for those sole purposes.

At the same time, Im also shy at posting.
I didnt join to sell my cels. I joined thanks to PEER PRESSURE..
lol, j/k.. I wanted to see what all the other cel collectors were talking about. And thats pretty much what I do.. I read through posts and comment very little because I often feel I have nothing of value to add.
I post new random threads occasionally as some may know.

I dont think its right for you to come out and accuse people of just joining to sell stuff, I have yet to see a person on here sell stuff as a dealer. I just see people who need the money like me. Maybe one day, you might find yourself in the same situation.
You might find that sparkling new wishlist cel up for sale and need the money.
You might find yourself stuck with car payment, car insurance, credit card payments, phone bill, medical bill, unforseen bank fees, and rent ALL DUE at one time, and the only way out is to sell a cel or a few.

Beside, the "FOR SALE" topic area is made for those kind of post anyway.

I have another comment as to why a lot of people are shy, but at the risk of being even more so misunderstood, misconstrued, and outcast and thought a jerkface by all, I'll keep it to myself.
Kujaku
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Kujaku »

Well, I know that I am not around much, but that's due to my failing business venture in Florida. I got the contacts that I needed from it and some other useful propositions that I'm considering. I do try to post, mainly updates and I notice that I sell too, but usually when I'm offered a wishlist cel, which seems to be ever 2 - 4 months. I can see Kaminari's point of view, this thread does irk me as well. Sometimes we lurk because we do feel that we have nothing good to say. I'm not shy, but sometimes I can't join in on topics where a bishie is cute, don't get me wrong, I sometimes include my wife's opinion on the current beefcake lol. Since I have been flying back and forth almost every 1 or 2 weeks (really it is just whenever I can, cause I miss my family), surfing the web for more cels, and hanging out with buddies cause now I miss the usual poker night, and sqeezing in Beta whenever I have a real free chance......it wears me out :hurt: I joined beta for the love of collecting. I enjoy seeing people's updates, but sometimes I don't post (I assume many of us has had those moments :wink: ). I don't get all the inside jokes, so I keep quite on those threads as well. I actually know a few people that read Beta's threads, but have never signed up, and they knew about this place before I did, so they've been lurking around here for way over a year. Please don't make this into a big issue. If you don't like seeing someone sell constantly, then put them in your ignore list. I actually look forward to them because like sensei stated

"Why not? Sometimes they have things I want to buy.

It's a free world, and nobody has to visit Beta or read posts (including this one).

Wanna buy a duck?"

Well, you can pelt a tomatoe at me if you want, but I'm hoping that my ramblings made some sense. People will sell for whatever reason, I just assume not make it any harder for them than it has to be.

Plus, if you chase me off, I know at least 1 or 2 people that will miss me :P
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I'm not sure if I would like to try to post mainly updates. What's it like? Hm. Do you think a bot could help with sales?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Well, as long as they post it in the proper forum, I'm not against it. I understand that many people are shy about posting. I didn't post for a long time after joining.( A few times I have regretted ever starting.)

sensei wrote:
Wanna buy a duck?
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
Does it turn into a guy when you pour hot water on its head?
Nope, turns into a cute girl who sometimes turns into a prima ballarina or sometimes back into a duck if she says "Quaaa?"
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

vapalla wrote:( A few times I have regretted ever starting.)
Heh. I thought I was the only one who felt like that! *nervous laugh* :emb
vapalla wrote:sensei wrote:
Wanna buy a duck?
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
Does it turn into a guy when you pour hot water on its head?
Nope, turns into a cute girl who sometimes turns into a prima ballarina or sometimes back into a duck if she says "Quaaa?"
You guys! You QUACK me up! :crackup :rollin :crackup :rollin

I would totally buy one of those ducks ...

Of course, I would then turn around and sell it to get cel money, so ...

*Ahem* Does that make me bad? /gg
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

Tex-chan wrote:
I would totally buy one of those ducks ...

Of course, I would then turn around and sell it to get cel money, so ...

*Ahem* Does that make me bad?
No, I'm not sure having one of those ducks around is a good idea anyway, because if you do, you are probably trapped in a fairy-tale and you will have an uncertain future. Either that or bird flu.... :D
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

RESTRICTIONS? Did someone want restrictions!

:bubbles :elephant :bny :dban We don't need no stinkin' restrictions!

We need electrified keyboards and chairs to shock those lurkers into posting! :wink:

I started out shy, but now you just wish you could shut me up!
<--- thud*~*~*

Why would we ever want to shut you up? cough*the dancing bunnies break out in angelic Ichigo song*cough

Ichigo to work today and Ichigo got a cold.
The Ichigos were so bright last night. Ichigo, Icigo, ichigo,
ichigo, ichigo...

:wink: :joke

/kis I trust you know I don't mean it!

<--- achoo!

*Ichigo!*

Thanks! :^^:
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

aernath wrote:I started out shy, but now you just wish you could shut me up! :P
Shy??? are you sure you are talking about Perv chan we know ;) :P
Cats rule!
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

kaminari, no need to worry. I think we're mainly talking about people who's first post is to sell something. Then their second post is also to sell something along with their 3rd, 4th, 5th etc... without ever posting in other forums. But like I said above, It only slightly annoys me now as I can see how this is beneficial for all parties. My major opinion is that I wish these people would also become active in the other forums. The more the merrier.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
Kitt
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Kitt »

Well, I'm a lurker. I didn't want to be, but I am. Why? This board seems to errupt into controversy over fairly minor things. Whenever I try to start a thread, it dies. When I post to someone else's thread, it tends to die. This happens on Rubberslug's forum as well, so I took the name "Thread Killer Kitt". I thought it was an ironic and funny name to assume. Aside from the very few people who like me enough to pay attention to me, not a single person has noticed, or cared.

My gallery is de-listed now. Again, the only people who've noticed, or cared, are those who've become my friends. I don't collect cels from the popular series. I don't jump on the latest anime and 'have' to have art from it either. I still think my collection is interesting, and, perhaps even impressive in its own way. Evidently, since I don't collect from the 'popular' shows, and I never sell cels from my gallery, I'm a non-person here. At least, that's the feeling I've always gotten. I have never been made to feel as if I'm welcome, or even noticed. I didn't want a red carpet and nymphs tossing rose petals in my path for me to tread upon, but just some sort of acknowledgement that I EXIST, and I am a fellow collector, would have been nice. I posted a significant update (for my modest gallery) thread, along with a humorous way of presenting that update, and (except for a few friends) heard the crickets chirping. Who needs that? Why bother to post if it's unwanted and just cluttering up the board? I can just make an announcement in my LJ for my friends when I update.

That, in a nutshell, is why I lurk. Why should I take the time to craft a post if it's just going to be ignored? Why should I take the time to get all riled up reading threads where people are tearing at other people like rabid dogs? (Some of you who've been on the receiving end of such attacks have received PMs or RS gallery feedback posts from me of support -- so it's not at if I don't notice, or care.) This is my hobby. This is what I do for fun and relaxation. If I want controversy, I can get plenty of it at work. I don't need the stress and aggravation of it from a forum dedicated to my hobby.

The few people who tend to post the most here? Many of them intimidate me. There are quite a few people here who aren't very nice at all, if I am to believe that their on-line personas are reflections of their real personas. I'd join in discussions if they remained discussions, but they rarely do. I learned a long time ago, that with mean people, who have to be the center of attention, you can either try to out-mean them (which I never try to do), become one of their brown-nosing sycophants (again, not an option), or ignore them. Since the board, of late, has had quite a few mean and spiteful posts, I haven't even been lurking much.

Since I seem to be totally out of step with most everyone else in this hobby, please feel free to just dismiss me as someone who 'just doesn't get it' and has become bitter about the whole forum/cel community experience. For all I know, I am the only one who feels this way.

But, perhaps, I'm not the only one. And, if you truly want more participation in the forum from other than just the top posters, consider being just a bit more friendly and open to the next new person who comes along, who's all starry-eyed and full of enthusiasm, and who only wants to share his or her love for this strange hobby, and the successes and triumphs of his or her gallery, with you.

Thank you for reading.

~Kitt
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I don't think that anyone here is simply "dismissed". Everyone has their own place and favorite people and collections and those that they don't care for as much or at all. Updates are generally responded to according to how much interest there is in whatever you collect, not whether you are a top poster.

Obviously there is a group of top posters that discuss a lot of thing all the time, but there is always room here for everyone else. We have gone thru several generations of top posters as collectors change and time allows. If you look you will find that a lot of the top posters have not been around for quite some time. The top posters will change again and the board will go on.

Occasionally there will be problems and someone will get upset, but don't let that dominate the board. We are collectors and love to share in what we do and have found. Everyone should try to remember that when we get upset about something and try to use that to get thru it.

The only thing that upsets me is when someone joins just to set their for sale website as there gallery and never participate in the board. I personally am glad when someone posts a for sale of any kind on the board, because all of the money that changes hands stays in the cel collecting community and helps to keep prices moderated.

Wow, sure typed a lot there, sorry :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.