You cannot make another post so soon after your last

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Not Sir Phobos wrote: On another note I think the delay is too long, I can post, then find another thread, read through the thread and want to post another comment but have to wait. I think that's too long, if someone is abusing the rules just warn them, don't change the whole system for a couple nits. At least that's my policy. :wink:
I never thought I'd ever type these words, but...
"I totally agree with everything Not Sir Phobos just said."

(Geez...why do I feel so dirty now)

I read at a pretty high rate and type at a fairly decent pace as well. I
frequently find myself hampered by the "time-out" phase. I've noticed that
it's definitely cut down on my posting as I hate dealing with the hassle.

I've also seen that all it does for the spammy types who will bump an
entire forum's worth of posts is to slow them down a bit. So, I don't see
it as being very effective in that regard...definitely more hassle than it's
worth.
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

Not Sir Phobos wrote:more annoyed that I can't edit my OWN POSTS! I'm not double posting, just editing an existing post which irks me because if I misspelled a word or two I have to let it sit there and have people look at it untill I can fix it.
How about when you mark something as plural instead of possessive or visa versa. There you sit waiting to add or subtract that one little apostrophe, while the post mocks you; [glow=yellow]"Hey STU 8O PID!"[/glow]

Takes about 24 head bangs against the desk........ :bwall
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

i'm a memeber of another forum that uses the delay function to keep from seeing the same post 2,3,4 times in a row, like we use to see here.

however their delay is only about 30-45 seconds, and it works really well.

i've also on several occassions felt a lil >_< by not being able to edit a post right away. =)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

"There you go again. "--Reagan
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I sure am glad that I take my time typing and thinking thru my posts so that it doesn't phase me at all (never experienced the message), but I always thought that a delay beyond a minute might be excessive :wink:

Either that or make longer posts :D
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

RoboFlonne wrote:I'm working on a 22 page essay on how I agree with everyone on this page...
Technically, 22 pages of typing nothing but "Love!", "Eternal Love!", etc isn't
really considered an essay.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

irmgaard wrote:
Not Sir Phobos wrote:more annoyed that I can't edit my OWN POSTS! I'm not double posting, just editing an existing post which irks me because if I misspelled a word or two I have to let it sit there and have people look at it untill I can fix it.
How about when you mark something as plural instead of possessive or visa versa. There you sit waiting to add or subtract that one little apostrophe, while the post mocks you; [glow=yellow]"Hey STU 8O PID!"[/glow]

Takes about 24 head bangs against the desk........ :bwall
Oh hallelujah!! Someone who UNDERSTANDS!!!

*worship...worship*

Our local NEWSPAPER doesn't even understand the difference between possessive and plural, and the proper use of an apostrophe.

"Many item's for sale." Many item's WHAT? Their auras? Their... remains?

(Like I should talk. You'd never know I had an education based on my posts and emails, half the time. Trust me I can actually write well when the occasion requires.)
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

kymaera wrote:
Not Sir Phobos wrote: On another note I think the delay is too long, I can post, then find another thread, read through the thread and want to post another comment but have to wait. I think that's too long, if someone is abusing the rules just warn them, don't change the whole system for a couple nits. At least that's my policy. :wink:
I never thought I'd ever type these words, but...
"I totally agree with everything Not Sir Phobos just said."

(Geez...why do I feel so dirty now)
I dunno, does the honest truth always affect you like that?

Another point is that I check in on the forum while I'm at work between tasks so I don't have a lot of time sometimes and I like to be able to hit some threads leave some comments and get back out to start another task. This slows me down and I can't comment on some threads that I'd like to. :l
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

From what I understand, when magician makes the move back to Beta dotcom this will be corrected.

I resemble this remark:D :
"Hey STU 8O PID!"
<-- Me bid typr to! lol

Member of the Transparent Nine!
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

(deep breath).......

OK. I know the "cannot make a post" "feature" I put in weeks ago is aggravating and unpopular, but it is going to be part of Beta in some form or another. I am willing to tune it on this old build, and in fact I just bumped it down from 120 seconds to 45, but it is going to stay.

The rules have been clear about double posting since before I joined Beta. Allison penned the original rules which we based the current ones on, and double posting has been a no-no here almost since the beginning. Unfortunately many users choose to ignore the rules time and time again. It was suggested we deal with offenders on an individual basis and not punish the masses for their actions. We do deal with individuals, but our warnings are either ignored, or we offend the person to the point that they never come back. Roboflonne is an example of that. The "how do feel about the economy" thread (which is still in the speakeasy BTW...) shows that user with 2, 3, and sometimes 4 posts back to back. I warned him via PM not to do so, referring him to the rules. He hasn't been back since reading that PM.

Comments have also been made that this restriction doesn't prevent the problem so it's not doing any good. I will challenge that assertion. Obviously I have not read every thread made since I put the restriction on, but it appears to me that there is significanty less multi-posting since I put that on. I am working on a hack for the new beta that is not time based, but checks the DB for the userid of the last poster in a thread and will not allow back-to-back posts from the same userid. I am not going to waste time coding it on this build though, so my remaining option is the time interval. I know it sucks, but since the rules continue to be ignored, I will put code in to enforce them across the board if I have to.

As to the editing of one's own posts, I am happy to fix that one. Once I get home tonight and get a useable PC on the internet (See my update post in beta facelift) I will reset the permissions in all the forums to allow editing of one's own posts. I set them using what's called "simple mode" a while back and apparently the canned simple settings are too simple and do not allow for editing. That was me being lazy and I apologize for it. This one will be easy and will be corrected this evening.

-M
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How do you know? That bad, eh?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Thanks Magician! :)
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

The editing feature is kind of tricky. On another board I'm at, anytime you edit your post, the thread moves up to the top of the board. That lets people know that a post in an old thread has been updated. It's good in that you don't have to double post in order for people to know that the thread was updated.

But the problems with having that feature are:

If a post gets changed in the middle of a long thread, you could search forever before knowing what was updated. More than likely when that happens somebody just decided to update info that was incorrect, correct their mispelling or edit out comments they no longer want people to read. In those cases, the reason the thread moved to the top of the board was rather useless and wastes others time. Often I want to correct something in a thread without the entire thread moving to the top of the board (threads don't move up here which is great if you're only making corrrections).

On the other hand, if threads never move to the top when updated, a long time might go by before you realize that someone added new info to the bottom of a thread (maybe you'll never realize it). I didn't know that Kymaera added more info to the manga thread until just the other day.

I wish the other BBS I'm on had the option of being able to move threads up to the top or not.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Is double posting ok if you have a sale thread? I often see people doing that
(posting every time they add something for sale, or how much time is left
on their auctions). Is that ok? Seems better than starting a new thread
every single time you want to say something new about the same topic.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |