Enough already!

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

He just misses me, that's all... he can't smack me about the head in person so he's going to take it out on me on the board. :P

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Longer stick, buddy, longer stick.
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Baakay wrote:He just misses me, that's all... he can't smack me about the head in person so he's going to take it out on me on the board. :P

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Longer stick, buddy, longer stick.
and how bout a katana as well ;) :P
Cats rule!
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Re: And so, with a sneaking suspicion . . .

Post by Baylor »

Deadly Whispers wrote:Not that I'm saying anyone should HAVE to, but just out of curiousity, has anyone brought this up directly with the offender in a PM or e-mail? The complaint is valid - peeves are peeves, you know? - but doesn't sound like it breaks any rules, so I can't really step in. Spam, in my definition, has nothing to do with the original thread or hijacks the original thread.

Is it really necessary to spread a general air-out on the board?
DW voiced exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread. If it really bothers people so much, then PM the offender. There's really no need in airing out grievances with the way a person posts. If we all did that, I don't think anyone would be speaking to one another.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Deadly Whispers wrote:Not that I'm saying anyone should HAVE to, but just out of curiousity, has anyone brought this up directly with the offender in a PM or e-mail? The complaint is valid - peeves are peeves, you know? - but doesn't sound like it breaks any rules, so I can't really step in. Spam, in my definition, has nothing to do with the original thread or hijacks the original thread.

Is it really necessary to spread a general air-out on the board?

~ DW

(Nope, not trying to quash this, not warning anyone, not threatening to move this or lock it. I'm honestly curious.)
From past experiences where the person has been called out on things on this board, it at best will get them to slow down for a bit until they get bored again or they just find another way to divert their posts. It was quite obvious that the person couldn't or wouldn't take any hints.

So, I sent a PM to you to see if you would be willing to try to address them in a more official capacity. I got a response for more info. I sent you screen caps of how the person was bumping entire forums repeatedly. Sorry..I don't have the messages any more, so I'm going from memory. After that, the person calmed down again for a while and this was also around the time that the timeout between posts was upped extremely. So, based on your response and that info, I assumed that you agreed and were doing something about it.

However, before long, the person was at it again and the timeout literally just slowed them down a bit. After months of more and more spam and the person bragging about it on this board and hearing other people complain about it in private, I logged in this morning and saw yet another forum with an entire page of old posts (several from last month) bumped. And well, it was the straw that broke this camel's back.

Yes, I probably could've sent a PM to the person in question, but based on what I just said, do you think it would've done a bit of good? And yes, I probably am over-reacting and seeming like a cranky ass, but it's been grating on my nerves for a long time now. It's also that I know that I'm not the only one annoyed by this..just the only one who feels strongly enough to risk a ban or public shunning by saying so.
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

kymaera wrote:Yes, I probably could've sent a PM to the person in question, but based on what I just said, do you think it would've done a bit of good?
:D

Yes, I honestly do think so! I knew it, too, what and who you were referring to (but wanted to make sure). I don't think I have those PMs either. Oh well; not important. We both remember them and that's good enough.

I will say, though, that the actions taken were . . . a bit different than might have seemed. Firstly, for me - I did not send my PMs with the idea of punishing anyone for the bump posts. So, perhaps, I was not as stern as I could have been. I wanted to take your feelings into consideration, but I did not believe this member to be breaking any rules and did not feel myself within Mod rights to shut it down forcefully.

The timeout was kill off some of the repeat double posting, which really drives me up the wall. But that's something else. (See, everyone's got their sore spots. . . .)

But I do believe that if peers started personally asking for this behavior to stop, it might. Especially if said peers didn't let up. Or, it might escalate into something else that WOULD give me, as a Mod, the right to step in and smack someone.
kymaera wrote:just the only one who feels strongly enough to risk a ban or public shunning by saying so.
8O Good heavens, you are not risking a ban! Disagreeing with me is not breaking any rules, either (not that you are, that I can see, but you get the idea).

And, somehow, I doubt you will ever be a pariah here. :wink:

~ DW
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is, especially since there are other things that are going on out in the world than "rather friendly bumps and posts." I mean, when did it become bad to post good stuff? This thread really seems kinda hostile especially if it were a problem that could be sorted out through PMs and whatnot. I feel this sort of friendliness and support for fellow betarians is what causes Anime-Beta to be unique from other boards, but I guess that doesn't last forever?
I get to see old threads and new threads, and I find it helpful especially when I miss an old thread and never got to post.

But...to each his own. After listening to the news today about what's really going on I feel rather bitter about an otherwise friendly tactic that's being attacked here. :x :x :x
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

kittens wrote:
sletia wrote:I have NO idea who you're referring to. ^^;
Prob me /sob
I can assure you that it isn't you. :D

I never use the "recently updated" link (or whatever it is that shows all the threads that have been posted in since the last time you logged in) so no one really bothers me all that much, but I can see how it would be annoying if I did use that feature of the board.
SME wrote:But...to each his own. After listening to the news today about what's really going on I feel rather bitter about an otherwise friendly tactic that's being attacked here. :x :x :x
Apples and oranges, hon. :)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I always try to enter Beta by opening up a new window and clicking my favorite's link for the Beta portal page. The box on the right says posts since last visit. If it says 0 I leave immediately. This is so I don't get bothered by of lack of posts when it's slower here.

If there are only a few new posts in that right box on the portal page (like 3 to 7) then I look in the left box on the portal page at the scrolling "Recent topics" thread names to see if I feel like checking out the topics that supposedly got a new post.

If I see like 40-50 posts in that right box then I know something unusual must have happened. It's unusual for the right box to have a high number because I've been away for a long period of time. If there are a lot of new posts then I click to the Beta forum page and usually go from the bottom to the top checking out the recently updated forums with that tan colored bell or whatever it is on the left side. "Your Website/Gallery" is the last forum section I look at.
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

klet wrote:
kittens wrote:
sletia wrote:I have NO idea who you're referring to. ^^;
Prob me /sob
I can assure you that it isn't you. :D
kymaera told me that it was not me :)
but I know you were thinking about it :P :P
Cats rule!
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

SME wrote:Personally, I don't see what the big deal is, especially since there are other things that are going on out in the world than "rather friendly bumps and posts." I mean, when did it become bad to post good stuff? This thread really seems kinda hostile especially if it were a problem that could be sorted out through PMs and whatnot. I feel this sort of friendliness and support for fellow betarians is what causes Anime-Beta to be unique from other boards, but I guess that doesn't last forever? I get to see old threads and new threads, and I find it helpful especially when I miss an old thread and never got to post.

But...to each his own. After listening to the news today about what's really going on I feel rather bitter about an otherwise friendly tactic that's being attacked here. :x :x :x
Amen to that last part. It really is all about perspective.

Why is there so much venom being released on something so easily remedied?
Why the need to call them out in open forum in a separate post (Image)?
Why not just hit the ignore button on said peer and move on - that's what it's there for. :roll:
Hold On Tightly ~ Let Go Lightly
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

transmet wrote:Why not just hit the ignore button on said peer and move on - that's what it's there for. :roll:
Because even with the ignore option on, it still bumps every thread and marks them as new.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

SME wrote: This thread really seems kinda hostile especially if it were a problem that could be sorted out through PMs and whatnot.
But that's exactly why it got posted. If you look above just a couple of posts, you'll see that some time back an attempt WAS MADE to handle it via PMs and whatnot. It didn't work.

It's also not venom being released. It's just sheer annoyance. At least that's my take on it.

Hey this isn't the first time someone's been asked not to "pee in every corner" ;)
MDKiller1
Senpai - Elder

Post by MDKiller1 »

Guh! Im sorry I kind of find this thread annoying....Only reason for me to think this is because..we arent sounding like a "Anime beta family" anymore..we are sounding like a bunch of children that cant get along. There is a saying..that goes "If you cant say anything nice..dont say anything at all" Theres alot of people that need to realize this.

I find it pretty sad when I log on here and find that there are 2 post....2.......of them were people are fighting! Ive never really seen that happen on here before...but ive seen it happen on other forums..and its ran the forums into the ground...because people get scared to post......because they never know what will be said about them, or if people will flame them because they just find what the person says annoying.

Im sure im going to get flamed for this..and the way I feel on the matter..but oh well...ill get over it..just like others should as well.
"Look what I'm offering you-- your dreams I ask for so little. Just let me rule you, and you can have everything that you want. Just fear me, Love me, Do as I say, and I will be your slave"
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Snicker....I was rolling after Baakay's last comment of "peeing on the corner". I literally laughed out loud. :rollin :rollin The mods/admin are chatting about how to handle these things so fear not. They see your requests.
.....peeing on the corner. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug