Enough already!

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is about saying "good-luck" to someone having a sale... i've heard it said that 'if you're not going to buy anything the wishes seem hypocritical...' or something along those lines. But honestly who cares if someone wishes you luck to make money!

And about topping old threads, i don't see the problem if they are actually contributing to the thread and not just posting something like "yay cels" or something. As long as the thread isn't 6months to a year old, I honestly don't understand the big deal... or the anger towards it.

I'm surprised to find that -this- kind of behavoir is found annoying, espeically since they still generally contribute to the convo... when i've seen responses to a post that says "where can i find xxx" and the response post was a bunch of smiley faces.... no words, just smilies. This is one of the things that just drives me up a wall, there was seriously no point to those kinds of posts -at all-

...but i don't say anything, call the person out, i have complained way too much to another user about it... but in turn - i deal with the thing that annoys me at the time then I move on. Putting something like this public, does put a rather negative feel over forum for the time this stays public - it makes some afraid to post - just b/c they don't know what is going to come out in public as partly a flame from annoyance or something... or leave people wondering "I wonder what people are saying about -me-"

Honestly PMing worked for a little bit before... but since it wasn't a permant cureall for what annoys you - you decide to make this huge public complaint about it... before trying PMing the person again. And what may have been meant as annoyance comes accross more like anger.

I also didn't start a ruckus that seems like it could result in more rules... b/c one of the thigns that I -loved- about this place was that there wasn't much strictness... But hey if people are looking for a forum with strick rules on topping posts, spamming, and just about everything else... I'll send you the URL of a forum I use to visit where people can get banned (unless your a mod) for topping thread, or any kind of off topic post, even if you use off english too much (like Gesundheit, Seiyuu, even common phrases like "E PLURIBUS UNUM" - unless it's the name of a person or place) - thing is you got warning points - too many resulted in bans of specific ammount of time. Just make sure the mods like you b/c if they don't they'll be likely to warn for you for joking that your friend smells like pee or something... (that woudl be breaking the flaming rule).

I hope the forums aren't heading in this direction (seriously not a fun to place to post in)... hopefully there is some code or something that can at least help with part of the problem such as a code that won't show a thread as new if its older than a month old or something.... which would make a BIG problem for threads like my "cel around the globe" or the "something fun" threads and so on... But if more rules is where this place is heading (and again i seriously hope its not) - I will probably remove myself even further from the community, I just don't enjoy being reminded of that old forum I was a part of.

I mean no one any disrespect, i generally get along with most everyone here, and i respect everyone's opinions. So if for some reason i've come across as disrespectful, and not just posting my opinion - i appologize ahead of time.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Goldknight wrote:Snicker....I was rolling after Baakay's last comment of "peeing on the corner". I literally laughed out loud. :rollin :rollin The mods/admin are chatting about how to handle these things so fear not. They see your requests.
.....peeing on the corner. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Hey, I was giggling when I saw NSP's comment about that on the first page. ;) He remembers that episode too. :P :D
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

:-) I get it. [quote]

There remembers that episode too.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Huh.

Post by Nelia »

Ah, it was the first thing I thought of. *shrug* If macros aren't allowed, I'll remove it, just PM me. (OHNOES, SPAM). Ah, I won't get too heavy into this, but we better be happy that we don't have people trolling our forum.

Why don't we just make a whole thread dedicated to: "Post here if you don't want people to say nice things to you/about you/about your posts! :D! :D! " It's honestly just taking a nice gesture and warping it into something it's not, just because you don't like someone.

Could this possibly be just a personal problem with someone, not their actions?

It really upsets me that people would get mad at someone who is overall friendly. Jealousy abounding over the fact that someone's daily attitude is happier and friendlier than someone else's? We're a frickin' family here. Seriously. What is wrong with everyone being so touchy lately? /hmm

Well, I guess this whole cup of niceness posting could be remedied if everyone just STOPPED BEING SO FRIENDLY! :P We could be a savage community, ripping mercilessly at eachother's throats. :D
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Re: Huh.

Post by Deadly Whispers »

Nelia wrote:Why don't we just make a whole thread dedicated to: "Post here if you don't want people to say nice things to you/about you/about your posts! :D! :D! "
It's called the Speakeasy. :D It's there. And believe me, it's a pretty civil place, which in itself is funny. . . .

~ DW
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nelia »

Haha! Really? XD
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

HotIce wrote:And about topping old threads, i don't see the problem if they are actually contributing to the thread and not just posting something like "yay cels" or something.
I wouldn't classify 30+ posts all in the "For Sale" forum and every single one being nothing but a cut and paste of "Good luck with your sales." as "actually contributing". If anything, it hurts the sellers because people can miss real updates due to all the spam. Not to mention that usually there are a few that are so old that the offer/sale periods had already expired, proving the person hadn't even really read them. I'm just baffled as to why the person gets any satisfaction out of it.
Nelia wrote:Could this possibly be just a personal problem with someone, not their actions?
Nope. The problem with the person is due to their actions and the fact that what they're doing makes it almost impossible to ignore them (see previous statements about ignore option). The person can be amusing and helpful at times when they actually bother to write any real content and not just being a less entertaining version of Cloud.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I assume you mean our current problem.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

kymaera wrote:The person can be amusing and helpful at times when they actually bother to write any real content and not just being a less entertaining version of Cloud.
Amen!

While I'm normally against posts of this nature, I do believe that some people are SO DENSE that they will not realize they're bothering A LOT of people if only a handful of folks send them IM's about their habit. For some people, the unfortunately reality of a brick bat is necessary.

And I do agree with what Kymaera said: it's not that their posts are unfriendly or malicious. But they are distracting and unnecessarily bumping topics.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

Editited... Due to the fact that I believe I was in a general bad mood this morning and after re-reading found that i was simply blowing off steam. X|
Last edited by EternityOfPain on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Do you have a cold?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
sletia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sletia »

And I *STILL* don't know who this poster is. I tried going through some posts but can't find anything irrelevant. /?: I guess I need to spend more time on beta.
~Hellmaster-sama~
Rabid collector of the little demon
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

Is this just because they are shown on the front page?....

I mean....isnt that why we have the Forum Index....? And the Icons saying there was a new post and such...?

I dont see the point getting upset either at saying "good luck" on sales. Arent we supposed to be helping out and supporting eachother? This is the beta family after all.
Last edited by ZombieBunny on Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

That's an interesting possible explanation.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I think I agree with ZombieBunny.
I don’t understand the problem.

The general “Yay cels” comments do contribute to threads; they put the thread on the “Recent Topics” list on the main page. I’ll guess that having update and sale threads on the main page helps to bring more attention to cel collectors’ sales. While the Yay Cels Poster’s post means nothing, by posting they bring some attention to the thread.

By checking out a general “Yay cels” comment on a thread I can scroll up, find the first poster’s link and possibly buy a cel. If it’s not a sales thread, I can learn who has a cel I like and find collectors who own cels similar to mine. Since I collect cels, these posts can be more helpful than “real” posts. Many times I see cels I don’t want or like, but this board has people from all over the world and cels I don’t want to view may appeal to someone else.

Even if you feel the Yay Cels Poster doesn’t care for the cels advertised on the thread, I still don’t understand why it’s wrong to help another person because it’ll bug someone else. Beta users can view posts by sections. If you want to ignore sale and update posts don’t look in “Your Website”, and the “Auctions/ Buy/ Sell/ Trade” sections. If you want to ignore responses only view the first page of the thread. If you’re having trouble finding a specific sale/update post you want I can sympathize with you, but maybe you’ll find a better cel in someone else’s sale.