Enough already!

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

I DO want to look at for sale posts and web page updates because I am interested in them. However, I don't want to have to weed through 50 threads being bumped at a time with no new content. It makes me less inclined to look through these posts if I have to do so, not more inclined. If I look at the forum list, I see a thread marked as having new content. Without taking the time to click it and skim through the thread, I don't know whether it's relevant information like the seller has added new items or dropped price...or someone got bored and wanted to up their post count. The second just wastes my time and usually I just mark the entire forum read without trying to see if there are any real updates...which of course, costs the seller a possible sale if they had posted an update in the thread.
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Do you know how frickin' tempted I am to say 'good luck with your thread'?
But I promised I'd behave, so I won't.
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

Wendy wrote:Do you know how frickin' tempted I am to say 'good luck with your thread'?
But I promised I'd behave, so I won't.
Wendy! Nice to see you, you rapscallion. :dwink
Hold On Tightly ~ Let Go Lightly
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Yay Wendy :) Nice to see you :D :D
Cats rule!
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

This thread has me a bit confused.
If someone mentions they have some things for sale to cover a wishlist, I can't wish that person luck for getting the money to obtain it or post something like PM/email sent?
If someone I like B-day had passed and I signed in late & missed it, I can't wish them a happy belated one?

Personally those post don't bother me. I have no clue as to who you're refering to kymaera and eternityofpain. I don't come here often. Can someone pm me so I can perhaps understand this situation better?
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Ooh! What if we have "on topic" zones, places where comments are to stay on topic and if you don't have anything directly relating to the topic you don't post. And the rest of the forum can be a conversational style* posting zone.

*Conversational style posting is a trademark of www.welcomeconsumer.com
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Well, let me see if I can relay what I see as the problem
here, and I am definately not taking sides, because it
doesn't bother me, however, I can see where it could
be annoying.

I think that the point that is trying to be made, and correct
me if am wrong, is not that it is wrong to respond to someone's
post, however, to wait and respond to an entire section of the forum
all at one time comes off as spam, and it makes it hard to
decifer what posts are new and what posts are old.

Now, I am guilty of this at times as well, however, only when
I have been away from the board for awhile, and am in the
mood to be nice and catch up with the update threads.

I think what the complaint is, is that this person is on the
board everyday all the time, and doesn't need to hold back
and post to 50 topics in one section. They should be able to
post as they go. Again, correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think that kymaera is in anyway telling this person to
stop posting to topics, more of a since your here all the time
anyway, post responsibly. Make the board easier for those
that frequent it all the time to be able to see the new threads.

Cause, if you are like me, when I am on the road, you will
see everything that has been updated since the last time you
logged in anyway. Doesn't matter how old the thread is or
not. For those of you who frequent the board irregularly, you
know exactly what I am talking about. :wink:

Again, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :P
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Thank you, Gonzai. You got my point exactly and phrased it better than I probably have.

I don't want to tell people not to post. I like people to post..the more, the merrier. As long as it's interesting or entertaining, it's all good.

I compare this to spam in my email. I might have one or two of them in my inbox when I check my email at any given time. I delete them and they don't bother me. But if I got dozens of them..and they were mixed in with real emails that I don't want to miss, it takes time to sort through them. That is when it gets irritating.
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

I thought cel sale threads are for everyone that visits Beta, not just members.

50 is an exaggeration.
People post updates to be seen, and with new members, the same thing could happen without cut and paste remarks.

:emb Never mind me
Last edited by GuyvarIII on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sailorsv13

Post by sailorsv13 »

I observe multiple beta members making posts about namless other members followed by a justification as to why they are not using said perpetrators name. 8O

I think this kind of thread is just entertaining for those who get bored with the endless droll of happy or informational cel threads. Beta accurately reflects real human personalities such as those who are consistently nice or those for whom drama adds a little spice to their life. Beta contains members of all sorts so to be fair maybe if action is going to be taken against a "happy" poster than perhaps action should be taken against someone who posts in order to cause aggravation between members? In short, I believe that this is normal and we should accept all personalities on this website openly or consider implementing fair rules against all offending members...unless we want to admit that we practice discrimination here on Beta.... :splat

As far as I know there aren't any ensuing legal battles :)

~ Bri ~
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

sailorsv13 wrote:I observe multiple beta members making posts about namless other members followed by a justification as to why they are not using said perpetrators name. 8O ~
I think the intent and hope in NOT naming names is that the person in question will twig "Oh! have *I* been doing that?" and perhaps amend the behavior. As you will observe if you've read through the whole thread and digested the information, previous pms about it have not succeeded. And this is actually much kinder than pointing fingers, isn't it.

My personal take on the behavior in question is that I find it more laughable than anything else. But you know? It's been my experience on this board that if one or two people are brave enough to step up and say "hey, this really bothers me," there are usually 8-9 others who are NOT brave enough to do so for fear of shunning or banning or other reprisals.

It's like being the one person in a class who doesn't mind making an idiot of herself (*raises hand*) to ask the really basic question that nobody else wants to ask for fear of looking stupid... and then when she does everyone else says "Oh thank God. I was afraid to say anything."

Re-read Gonzai's big post up above, it's spot-on.
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

I agree with Roboflonne on Page one
RoboFlonne wrote:It's one of Kym-chan's yearly rants... Really no one should take this seriously, since nothing can be done about it. :vict
and
Baakay wrote:My personal take on the behavior in question is that I find it more laughable than anything else.
This is an understandable over-reaction to an annoyance.

I'm sorry for my response, now that I know what you're talking about.

Without knowing, the explanations and not naming people make it worse. Members that don't know can worry about the possible "quality" of their own posts and non-members can view us as elitists. I’ve heard other collectors and Otaku friends of mine talk of the "superior" nature of Beta members and visitors could reference this thread as proof.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I think we've learned from past disagreements here that there will always be SOME people dissatisfied at how something is handled no matter HOW it ends up being handled (by both sides).

I've learned to stay just on the outside surface so as to not let things that happen here bother me. I keep my collecting enjoyment separate from Beta. Beta might increase my collecting enjoyment, but it doesn't take away from it no matter what happens. :P
Last edited by Keropi on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.