Feedback section?

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
Celtyrant
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Feedback section?

Post by Celtyrant »

I have been recently frustrated with holding a cel for a member of Beta, who then has not contacted me, even though they have been on the forums quite a bit since that time that they said they would pay. I was wondering if we could have a feedback section, so as to alert other sellers about dead-beat members as I doubt I'm the first, or last victim this 'buyer' will have. Also in addition to negative feedbacks, we could also leave positive feedbacks for those whom we have dealt with that were an absolute dream. Thankfully, that's most. :D
Its more than a gallery.
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

We did have something like this - though not in the form of feedback - and it didn't work out quite so well. It was in the form of two forums, Buyer Beware and Seller Beware.

These sections are gone now, mostly because they weren't used very much, but also because it caused a lot of grief all around. That's not something we really want. :D

Beta is a bulletin board. It's a forum for people to talk about things, and it revolves around our mutual love of anime cels. Beta is not, though it can loosely work that way, a forum for sales. Therefore, at this moment, there is no reason to display feedbacks of any kind on its members; personal sales are and always have been an at-your-own risk type of deal, and other sales can be conducted through the nets of eBay and the like.

Things may change - I don't know. If anyone would like to continue the idea of a feedback system, please do. Discussion would be most helpful when it comes time to add improvements to the current forums.

~ DW
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Where did you hear that?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Since you invited discussion, DW, I thought I would add my two cents in here (even though I have kind of dropped into "lurker" mode recently :D ).

I think having a feedback forum ... or maybe bringing back the buyer/seller beware sections ... is a good idea. I realize that Beta isn't intended as a selling forum, but as a discussion forum/bulletin board. But, a big part of this hobby is selling, trading, etc. Cels, sketches, and money change hands. I think that's something we all see as inevitable. And, I think the cel "community" is fairly small and close-knit. Maybe it's time we started looking out for one another a bit more.

I have no idea what is going on with Cel Tyrant's situation. (Although I'm sorry that you're having some problems with your sales, Cel Tyrant!) I have no idea who the member is ... or what the holdup or problem is ... nothing of this sort. I am speaking purely on a hypothetical basis here and giving my opinion on the idea of a feedback forum/thread. Period.

I do know of at least one recent instance, though, where such a forum or thread would have been very helpful to the community at large. Word of mouth in that situation did spread eventually, but not until many collectors had suffered the consequences of trying to deal with a "bad" buyer.

Maybe it is possible to bring back the feedback (or buyer/seller beware) sections and attach more stringent rules to them. Like, require members to try and work things out via PM or email first and only allow posting in the forum/thread with mod approval as a last resort, if trying to communicate via PM and email fails. This is just one idea. I'm sure there are others out there. :)
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I like your style of speaking, stating an opinion gleaned.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

I have no idea how difficult it is to try to set up something new on the forum, but this is what I think might be useful. (even if it's not very probable. I feel like I'm asking for the moon with this one.)

If in each person's profile there was a link to a feedback section, then people could leave their feedback with out putting it in a very public area. (not readily viewed with out specifically wanting to see it)

I suppose too, that it would be in everyones interest (if this were to happen), that we might want to be able to mark a negative comment with whether we contest the comment. I think that giving the person with a negative comment a chance to explain why things went bad is a fair way to handle things.

Someone who wanted to buy/sell to/from a member could go to this section, and check to see if they have negative comments, if they have negative comments then it would be up to the person with questions to discuss with the other, before following through with a transaction.

Just an idea.

:wink:
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I'd have to agree. While there were some sore feelings created by the thread, it also did a lot of good in making sure deadbeat bidders were "outed" to the community. Face it, Beta has become THE forum for the cel community now. While some people may not like the idea, most of us have nothing to fear from it. As long as it is monitored correctly, I don't see an issue.
Celtyrant
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Celtyrant »

On Den of Angels doll forum, they have a special topic section for feedback threads. You make your own thread and people leave comments for you there. And then there is another subsection for 'problem transactions'. Basically if you are having a problem with a particular buyer or seller, you state it in a new thread, and based on what you say, the moderator limits that person's access to the marketplace, so that they cannot /continue/ to sell or buy things until the issue is resolved.
Its more than a gallery.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Deadly Whispers wrote:but also because it caused a lot of grief all around. That's not something we really want. :D
I know I don't remember seeing too much grief on the actual board, but I imagine that the moderators got complaints through pms.

Frankly, I would welcome some sort of system (even the old sections), but only if the moderators are up for dealing with whatever crap it might bring--and I'm sure it will bring something. X|
mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

If possible, could a moderator chime in on this topic? I agree that it would be a good thread to have benefiting collectors so they can avoid scammers and potentially losing a good bit of cash. I do also agree that certain guidelines should be placed though so it doesn't turn into a bitch-fest. Perhaps a rule that it should only include sellers who have had a known transaction that ended in the person not getting their cel (not a thing where 'I've waited for 3 weeks and still no cel! Deadbeat!') Maybe that kind of thing is hard to patrol though? Feedback from mods??
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Sorry, this mod is incapable of comprehension
at this time, so there is nothing I can add. Anyone
else?? /sry
Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Ms. Poe »

Put it in the Speakeasy?
Image Image
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

Ms. Poe wrote:Put it in the Speakeasy?
The main issue is this should not be something that is "hidden" from everyone. I know that anyone can become a member of the speakeasy forum however the majority of viewers of beta who are not regularly here or to the individuals who like to browse the forum (without signing up) will miss seeing this information and in doing so might buy from a deadbeat seller or try to work payment with a buyer who goes MIA on payment plans. I believe in a forum that has subforums that focus on selling, buying, (yahoo japan, ebay, selling from your gallery) there should be a section (open to everyone just like these forums) so that someone can post there bad deals in vivid detail so future buyers or sellers know who not to deal with. Also the forum doesnt need to be all "bad" there can be posts with individuals who are awesome to deal with so we know who we can trust. In this hobby the key factor is trust. Many people are worthy of trust however regardless what it is there are always bad apples and collecting cels and genga is no expection.

I vote for there to be a forum so that anyone can post a thread and actively discuss what went wrong and all the specifications with the dealing as well as postive deals. If the person who believes they did nothing wrong is a member of the forum, even better. After all people are always welcome to defend themselves. I believe to not create a forum is to ignore the issue of deadbeat bidders and sellers. By simply creating a forum dedicated to this allowing everyone to post there claims will not only help individuals in being aware but also save many individual time and money. I honestly cant see what AB would lose from adding one. It is possible some debates here and there might get a bit heated but the fact remains we have moderators for a reason. Simple watch the forum and if one gets to heated post a warning, and act accordingly. If it would be such a huge task to moderate the forum then elect someone to moderate that specific forum. I am sure there would be many that would be willing to help. I know I would.

Protect your fellow cel collectors. Do the right thing.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

I like the idea of a feedback section as well, especially if it helps the community. But it may cause a great deal of bad vibes. Not sure what a good compromise would be. I posted about something like this a while back (http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21996) but it was supposed to be strictly about good transactions. I forgot to go back and post more and the thread was largely neglected but I do think it was a decent idea. Sometimes the best transactions go undiscussed simply because they are not as controversial as the negative experiences.

I would love to know who to avoid when looking to buy cels. Sure, this forum is not a sale site, but it is a community and the number one thing a community does is benefits/aids its members.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

it does sound like a nice idea..though it will bring in some people that will give "negative vibes"

-But sometimes cels do take a while to get to the buyer (like when the post office messes up) so what if a buyer just jumps to a conclusion and calls the seller a "dead-beat"???

So like said before...maybe it should speak about good transactions only???