Lets talk about this like grownups.

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Shampoo wrote:As for the member mudslinging, yea there
are obvious attacks on there-- even threads that were created
solely to call a member out. Imature? Sure.
EternityOfPain wrote:Shampoo has summed up my opinion nicely.
Yep, sums up my opinion nicely as well. :roll:
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I don't like threads being made about other members, good or bad. And I am not talking about the ones that you think I am. I don't agree with it being shut down. However, threads made purely to call out others is where I cross the line (even threads about people I am not too crazy about).
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

I think that it would be UNFAIR to the rest of us (that behave) to shut it down. Think about it...if they moderate it, then the rules begin....No being mean....no this..no that...than it will censored...the point of that thread is to let out whatever you have to say, and whoever does not like it can reply with the same right as the other poster...Like said in the rules
It will be offensive. Do not email or PM myself or the Moderators about anything that happens in this section.
There you go. It's crystal clear...So beforehand that should have been read. After warning the "potential readers" I don't think it's fair to bother the moderators after they made it clear that they don't want to be involved... /no1 /hmm
----------
On that note, if people want to bash themselves...call themselves a 'roll , or anything else that is bad...all the power too you, it will just show your true colors (or some of them :P ) to the rest of us. Even though I hate it when people gang up on each other...it's their right to fight and so forth in an unmoderated forum.
------------
I for one find that Forum extremely AMUSING ... :hitting:
When I read the kid fights that gone on in there, I laugh. Yes I do...
------------
So if you don't like that little old mean forum then just avoid the threads in there that you don't like....The title will give away what the thread is about...so just don't click....You don't have to leave the entire forum entirely..just don't click on the thread. And it's not like we don't know who fights with who...it will still go on...but behind close doors...
----------
Now pardon me...for I will go eat some tuna :wink:
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Gonzai wrote:Now, it has become a place to only bash the people
that you don't like, and see how much you can shock
others.
Out of curiousity, are people bashing those without access to the speakeasy? I assume so, but really, this just strikes me as something that seems . . . wrong. There's a very fine line between ragging on a person and ragging on their actions, and something tells me that people won't hesitate to stomp all over it in the Speakeasy.

Of course, that's all assumption, as I am not a member. Every once in a while, I get tempted to join just to see what it's about (especially when a thread gets moved there that I was slightly interested in). But I never follow through.
moonrabitt wrote:the point of that thread is to let out whatever you have to say
See, it's my understanding that this is not the point of the Speakeasy. Throughout the squabbles that have appeared on Beta, there have been two ways of thinking amoung its members: those who want the threads locked to prevent hurt feelings, and those who want them open so that members have a chance to reconcile. The Speakeasy was developed as a way to cater to both parties.

At least, that was my understanding of the situation.

The problem that others seem to be articulating is that reading threads in the Speakeasy has lessened their enjoyment of Beta as a whole. Now, I know one option is to no longer look, but the damage is already done. Plus, from what I understand, when it first started, the Speakeasy had very civil and enlightening discussions about politics, religion, etc. It seems like people want that back without the nastiness, because the nastiness takes the enjoyment from their time here.

Honestly, there are hundreds of forums out there where you can go to troll, swear, and generally be an ass. I don't know why we need a special secret forum here for that.

In fact, here you go:
http://img.4chan.org/b/imgboard.html

:roll:
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

Out of curiousity, are people bashing those without access to the speakeasy?
Don't worry. I have not noticed this going on.

There have been a couple of times where someone has commented about other members (not in the Speakeasy), but as far as I can remember names were not used. Most people in the Speakeasy are very civil and do not behave that way. All of the recent bashing has been limited to/between just a few people who are already members.

As for the main topic here. I have already stated my feelings in the Speakeasy. I can repeat it here for those not signed up for it.
I have to say that I also get a bit annoyed when these threads wander off topic too. I joined the Speakeasy so that I could hear people's honest opinions without having the debate cut off midway (when one side complains to the admin about the other) That does not mean I am eager to sit and read posts where the only purpose seems to be to insult other members.

I would prefer not to block people because I really am interested in what other members have to say, but I feel like I am wasting my time if I have to read through a lot of unrelated material.
I hope the above does not violate any rules about stuff crossing over to the main pages. If so please feel free to delete this post.
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

My eyes 8O
..sweet mercy...she had no head :jaw ....and naughty images 0_0

Well I guess that the SP can lessen the enjoyment...but that's what happens when you sign up to view it's threads.

Rules of SP:
This forum is unmoderated as far as flames, fights, arguments, disagreements, opinions, hurt feelings....etc goes.
To me it sounds like people can just let their emotions out...

Sure some can be "you-know-what-holes" but they will be that way in the Sp and outside..That's how I learned about the SP...when "certain" people where arguing so I joined..." It will get leeked out..I at least want to hear both versions of the story..
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

What is going to solve this is that those who choose to use the speakeasy will have to police it themselves.

As adults you have the choice to read and respond to whats written or not.

If a couple of members are causing a disruption , and those there know what they can expect from threads created by them. You can just not bother to read it. Worse case is if what they write bothers you that much , use the ignore tool that way you will not see what they write and as such will not get upset by it.

Those who abuse their ability to post will soon find that when no one responds or takes the bait they put out , that they will no longer get the attention they want. They will either clean up their act a post responsibly like an adult or they will drift away.

But this is something those who use and want this forum must do themselves. Do not expect the mods or admin to do the dirty work for you. The rules were set as the community here wanted IE: a place where all can have their say on whatever hot button issues they want without crys of censorship. It's up to those who want it to continue to act.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I have to agree. As I get older, I am trying to let certain things slide. More often than not, I fail at that. However, I need to be the one to just let things be and not contribute to the issue. Others need to address the problem for themselves.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I am not really bothered by language, except for languages sake, but I thought that the attacks had finally reached a point where it needed to be discussed. That is really all I was after, and hopefully it will continue :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Ms. Poe

Post by Ms. Poe »

Some people are just deranged, and it's a disease.

The Speakeasy is a good thing. If someone gets attacked there it's totally within the range of the "no holds barred" rules of the Speakeasy.

There have only been a few who have gone in there and called members out by name. One was just frustrated. The other other member obviously has some serious mental issues, and I really hope they get help for that. There are ppl out there who are specifically trained to handle their "moods"...Unfortunately for them...None of those trained professionals post here. That's why one of the posters called this person out. Out of pure frustration. We here aren't trained to deal with their mental disorder.

These types of disorders are sad, frustrating, and often times funny to watch. All we can do is hope that the member(s) afflicted by this disease, called derangement, seek help. The ongoing bickering back and fourth only adds to their disease pushing them further away from reality.

One day, all of those smiley faces will be turned upsidedown, and those cute bouncy puppy dog face squished by the reality truck.

Fortunately for the unaffected by this disease...All you have to do is turn on the *OFF* button. Sit back, and watch the issue take care of itself.
Image Image
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I am sitting now.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
MeganD.
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by MeganD. »

klet wrote:Honestly, there are hundreds of forums out there where you can go to troll, swear, and generally be an ass. I don't know why we need a special secret forum here for that.
Very good point, Klet and well stated.

Anime-beta is a hobby oriented generally positive place, so I can understand why the mods don't want to get involved in personal flame wars about politics, religion, ebay transactions gone wrong etc. But, they did create the section and it does have Anime-beta's name on it. I don't think it's realistic, or responsible frankly, to hand a community of people blunt objects, say, "Do as you please, just don't bother me," and then walk away from a fight when it's happening in your own back yard.

I'm sure the vast majority of people are very cordial and the discussions valid in the Speakeasy, but it doesn't take much for the self policing many to be overrun by the few who look to take advantage of the "The only rule is there are no rules" policy.

Animanga comes to mind. Before Yann left, the discussions worked and for many years it was THE place to discuss our hobby. IMO, it went down in large part due to his absence. When there was no one left to moderate or set boundaries, self policing didn't work and eventually the good people grew tired of all the rampant flaming.

If I'm not mistaken, Animanga's hate posts and lack of moderation was a large reason Beta was created, no?
Clever is as clever does.
-Ani Difranco
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

i am not a member of the speakeasy. but i admit, i am curious. i just hope there isnt anything written on there about me...! :l

i agree that it shouldnt really be a place for people to talk behind non-speakeasy members backs. i would imagine it to be a place for popular OT posts. but i cant say much since i have no idea what is on there.
Last edited by Caroline on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Oh I see you are NOT A member of the speakeasy but i admit. What are you curious about?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

I completely agree that the speakeasy is an established environment that is conducive to the casual exchange of information, and should not be moderated.

However, when people start making up and spreading lies, that crosses the line and they will find out that lies get you no where.

I admit I've been baited a few too many times, but when you start spreading lies about others in the speakeasy, I usually take the bait.