Chat room?

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
Caroline
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Chat room?

Post by Caroline »

sometimes i wish anime beta had a chat room, like right now. i can't sleep, nobody is in the rs chat, and there are some non-rs beta friends i wouldnt mind talking to once in a while. :) is there a reason why beta doesnt have a chat room? am in the only one wondering?

(sorry if this has been discussed before!)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

We had a chat room here before, but it was hardly ever used so it was removed - during one of the later board moves I believe.

Wasn't it also costing money to keep the chat room going?

Unfortunately for reasons I can't remember, we were unable to get the chat room feature implemented where you can see who's in the room before you enter it. That prevented a number of people from wanting to go in there because they wated to know who's in there first.

Wasn't that a software issue?

But even then...a lot of people would probably head for Rubberslug chat by default until Beta chat really got rolling. It would kind of neat to be able to pick your conversations from two chat rooms instead of just one. One room might be too busy or what not. On the other hand I've only used Rubberslug chat twice in the last four or five months so I'm not sure how much I would use them even if there were two chat rooms around.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Beta has had two different chat rooms. One that was in beta's early stages many many years ago and then the one that Keropi had mentioned. Nobody used it after we had paid a chunk to add it to the site. Thus when the site moved we got rid of it. Everyone uses the slug chat.
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Slug chat... :rollin what's that some kind of phone service for gratuitous slug to slug chat?
Caroline
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Caroline »

ah ok, sorry, i didnt know that beta used to have chat rooms. :emb

it would be nice to have options, since rs is the only other chat i would use. but i guess if its a money issue, there isnt much to be done about it.
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

I didn't keep the most recent Beta chat room for only one reason. No one ever used it. I would get logs from the host that would show no one logging into it for 5-10 days in a row. If someone did log in, it was only long enough to see that no one else was in there. I have no problem paying for a feature for Beta if it's something that gets used and people enjoy.

It was pure coincidental timing that Beta and RS opened chat rooms at almost exactly the same time. It just turned out that the RS room had features that people preferred so Beta's ended up unused.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.