Anime Beta Member Age Groups from 2006-2011 Registrat

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!

For those who have registered with Anime Beta between 2006-2011, what age group are you in?

0 - 10 years old
No votes
11 - 13 years old
No votes
14 - 18 years old
No votes
19 - 22 years old
10%
23 - 29 years old
40%
30 - 35 years old
28%
36 - 40 years old
8%
41 - 50 years old
10%
51+ years old
5%

Total votes: 40

star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Anime Beta Member Age Groups from 2006-2011 Registrat

Post by star-phoenix »

Hey guys! Sensei's and Iceman's data stirred up some curiosity of mine that I have been dying to find out. So, I am setting up a poll for the newer members who have registered between 2006 - 2011.

The poll is anonymous and no one will know your age except for yourself.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

So I guess if we registered in 2004 you don't care about us. *sigh* Okay. :roll: :P

I don't hide my age here anyway. :wink:

(And no, I didn't add to the poll in case you were wondering.)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

duotrouble wrote:So I guess if we registered in 2004 you don't care about us. *sigh* Okay. :roll: :P
LOL. That makes two of us! :-D I was thinking about making 2 separate polls, but let's see how this poll turns out before posting the other.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

crap. i forgot i joined december 2005 (late) and voted. will you let my vote slide? sorry!
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

LOL, I didn't read the message before taking the poll, so I voted too.
Sorry!

- Karen
Yume Hime
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Yume Hime »

That's interesting, I registered months ago so I voted ;) .
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I didn't vote but I'm curious to see how the results stack up. In the open-ended questionnaire results I'm getting, I find that some of the new members mentioned the relative maturity of the discussion one of the factors that drew them in and kept them checking in. So I'd predict that the results are similar to the quick bean-count I did from the memberlist. But as 40% declined to list a birthdate, this poll is a useful check.

The two are different in some ways: the bean count includes people who registered, checked in twice, and then left for good. The poll includes more people (I only went back to 2009) but counts only people who are active this week on Beta, plus old-timers who can't read.

Should be interesting. It's a good thing that folklore has never held its researchers to the same statistical standards as does, for instance, psychology. But then I'm not looking at what you think, just how you think.

Edit: This thread from 2004 makes for interesting comparison.

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtop ... hlight=age

Then the most common age bracket was 16-26, though as I read the comments most people fell into the upper end of this category.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Okay, sensei, that thread just made me feel old. I'm not even in the same age bracket anymore. I AM an old time collector now. I bought my first cel off ebay 10 years ago this month. Of course, I bought my very first cel at an anime convention 11 years ago. X|
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

sensei wrote:Edit: This thread from 2004 makes for interesting comparison.

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtop ... hlight=age
Wow! 121 people. Those were the Old Days alright.

That reminds me of the old question "At what age do you start feeling slightly old attending an anime convention?"
sensei

Post by sensei »

Keropi wrote:[That reminds me of the old question "At what age do you start feeling slightly old attending an anime convention?"
Or ... at what age does your daughter stop inviting you to attend a con with her?

Heck, I'm just getting to the right age to cosplay some characters. All along I've mostly looked like one of those anonymous baddies who lurch out of a doorway and then immediately get shot dead by Spike Spiegel. (I was a respectable Jet Black one year...)
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

sensei wrote:Or ... at what age does your daughter stop inviting you to attend a con with her?
My friend's dad still comes to all the cons with her and her friends! I'm pretty sure she's 29. I usually end up chatting more with him than my actual friend, haha.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Well that's cool. I like it when I see older attendees at anime conventions. :)

I just think when you're chronologically gifted you need to try to avoid cosplaying as characters that are a LOT younger, a LOT sexier AND show a LOT more skin than the cosplayer's regular persona. :D

Doing so could make the cosplayer look....even older. :D
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

sensei wrote:
Keropi wrote:[That reminds me of the old question "At what age do you start feeling slightly old attending an anime convention?"
Or ... at what age does your daughter stop inviting you to attend a con with her?

Heck, I'm just getting to the right age to cosplay some characters. All along I've mostly looked like one of those anonymous baddies who lurch out of a doorway and then immediately get shot dead by Spike Spiegel. (I was a respectable Jet Black one year...)
I don't cosplay...tried it once and hated it. But I always have my anime t-shirt on (wear them all year everywhere). My daughter wants me to come with her to anime conventions and she's 25. I have yet to feel old attending a convention and I'm 52.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Keropi wrote:I just think when you're chronologically gifted you need to try to . . .
:hitting: I love that! "chronologically gifted" :hitting:

I've never cosplayed nor felt old at a con . . . yet. :^^: My con is in the fall so there aren't too many costumes that bare a lot of skin.
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

Keropi wrote:That reminds me of the old question "At what age do you start feeling slightly old attending an anime convention?"
That question I debate about with my husband XD He feels uncomfortable going to anime cons because the majority of attendees seem to be late teens to early twenties. He is fine going to comic book conventions since they tend to have a better distribution of ages. I'm good with either comic or anime or other :)

This person is my favorite 'chronologically gifted' cosplayer >.<