How would Beta members prefer to be identified in my study?

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

How would Beta members prefer to be identified in my study?

Post by sensei »

I'm working now on a draft of my essay, which will go through several revisions before it is finally submitted to the publisher. (The essay collection, tentatively titled Folk Culture in the Digital Age, will come from Utah State University Press, and at present they are projecting Fall 2012 as a publication date, so there is lots of time to get things right.) Once I have a draft that I feel is complete, I'll share it in some way with Beta members and solicit criticisms and suggestions.

For the moment, though, what would be the most appropriate way to identify the sources of quotes and opinions? In the pre-digital age, of course, one would give the source's name, place of residence, and hard-copy print reference. That's obviously irrelevant to this study.

A fallback would be to identify sources by Anime-Beta screen names. Even that might be a little too personal, though. In a few cases, I've been given permission to use quotes, but not identify the source by screen name. This becomes more of an issue if I'm quoting from a past thread, especially one in which a controversial topic was discussed or a disagreement occurred. (For instance: A massive flamewar erupted after gokuisgod referred to the RS gallery of pikachu4eva, a newly registered Beta member, as "a verminous slumgullion of low-end omake butt-shots.")

So for the moment I'm crediting quotes to "a long-time member" or "a new member" or just to "another member" (if the length of membership isn't an issue). And, as the demographics are significant, I'm adding a little (M 61) which is a normal way of saying "self-identified as male and 61 years old." (For my own use I'm embedding the screen names in the text, pending a final decision.)

At the end of the essay, I'll credit all AB members who sent me material or agreed to help in any way. I'm willing to do this by screen names, or, if Beta members prefer, list real names alphabetically and not identify who uses what screen name.

I know anonymity is an issue on this board, so I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable by giving out personal information. On the other hand, I want to give proper credit to who said what. What would Betarians consider the most ethical way to do this?

(And, once again, if someone does not want to be included in the study in any way, please PM me, and I'll respect your wishes.)
Joost
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Joost »

I would not mind that you use my real name, but thats a personal opinion.
Maybe its different when you are part of the flamewar conversation X|

I guess it depends per person, some would like a real name in your essay others don't :)
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I am also personally okay with using my real name for the credits.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

In my case I would have no problem having you use my actual name.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

dittos, actual name is fine here
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

Feel free to use my actual name as well. :)
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Starfighter »

You are more then welcome to use my real name as well .
sensei

Post by sensei »

How about this: If you want credit in a certain way, then PM me. Remind me of your real name (if you want it used) and any conditions you'd like honored. (For instance: use screen name in text, credit real name at end, don't link the two.)

Also, let me know your gender and age (no birthdate needed) if you don't mind, and your geographical location (nearest big city is fine; I'm not planning to come and howl under the window where you keep your cels).

OK? I want some system that is ethnographically useful and gives credit where credit is owed, without violating confidences that many of us would just as soon not share with the world at large.

Thanks to all who have supported this project. I begin to see the end (did the unpleasant "flamewar" section this morning) and will look for a way to let people have a look when it's ready. It won't answer all the questions we have for each other, but I think it will be interesting and useful to the many researchers who are looking at the issue of what makes some virtual communities like Beta relatively stable, while others are either stillborn or prone to messy disintegration.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I will pm you as well but I thought this is a great opportunity for me to announce this again. I do not give anyone on this board permission to use my real name. Many members know my real name because we've had transactions or I might have actually signed a pm with it (rare but does happen). I have had users edit their comments and mods remove my real name from posts in the past. I'm a very private person and use a screen name not reflective of my real name for several reasons, including legal reasons from work.

You do have permission to use my user ID as either duotrouble or DT. Your choice. :^^: I stand behind what I say even though I want my privacy respected. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
sensei

Post by sensei »

That's a legitimate option that's open to anyone else who sent me a survey or who posted on a public forum that I might want to quote. Certainly I intend to honor DT's preference as well as any other restrictions a Beta member might want to put on my use of information from this forum.

Don't feel that doing so will make my job harder or make me less likely to listen carefully and try to reflect what you're saying about Beta and its values. It's what a professional ethnographer is expected to do. It's a thing called "honesty" as another thread emphasized.
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

I think you're going about this in the right way, sensei. Blanket solutions never work for me, personally, so I would say that if you're quoting something, those members should have their say in how they want to be represented.

And now here I am breaking the rules - instead of a PM, since I'm already here, if anything makes it into this essay that requires a credit to me, my info is there on the left. ;)

~ DW
Joost
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Joost »

Should people not know, my user name is my real name :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

OK, based on PMs I'm getting and the sense of this thread, this is what I'll do unless it seems awkward or uncomfortable.

In the body of the essay I'll use screen names and (if public and OK with individual members) gender and age. Like so:
In response to criticisms of his posts, DBZloather (M 12) said, "My mommy says all of your mommies are baka-doodoo!"
Then in the credits at the end, I'll list Betarians who were credited. For people wanting their names used, I'll use this form:

DBZloather (M 12): Chuck E. Cheese, Disney World, FL

or if people prefer names withheld:

DBZloather (M 12): [name withheld], Disney World, FL

or for people wanting to remain more private:

DBZloather; [personal information withheld].

I'm willing to comply with any restrictions. While academic articles are not widely read or commented on, it is true that once they go out into the world, anyone can read them. The nice thing, though, is that they have very long lives, so the article will certainly outlive this forum and hopefully pass on some useful lessons to the communities yet to emerge, which will stay connected using technology yet to be invented.