Portal?

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Portal?

Post by duotrouble »

Will the portal be returning to beta?

I always used the portal and rarely browsed sections. But if it's not coming back, I know how to adapt. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Portal?

Post by kathpatty »

Is the portal the scrolling of new posts that were listed on the front page?

If so I really miss that easy access to new posts
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

The portal. Ugh! I may be the only one here who feels this way, but I do NOT miss the portal. In fact, let me be the first (and probably only) request: please don't bring it back. It made getting to the main board index a pain in the rear in some cases, and wasn't terribly useful for me. I spent more time skipping over it than using it. The post scrolling thing didn't work well in mobile browsers on platforms like android, which made things extra painful, as I surf a lot these days on an android tablet. X|

Sorry to be the party-crasher, but the portal is just one of those things I don't care to see again--unless there's a much-improved version that actually works pretty well for all devices (I'd be happy to test out new stuff on my droid tabs -- I have a froyo-based one and a honeycomb unit, currently). I can remember the days when there was no link to the board index on the main menu, so getting to it involved some creativity (I remember that I had to click the banner image to reach the main board index from the portal X| ). :P

I am thoroughly enjoying the new version of phpBB ... it's much, much nicer than the old and fixed some nagging issues (like smilies getting placed at the end of a post rather than where the cursor is when editing). :)
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

I have to say I miss it as well. Or at least, I wish there was a section we could click that would show all the newest posts. Even though this site gets posts daily, it's a little inactive to have to click through each category to find the newest posts. I liked how the portal showed which threads were updated. I'd love for a function like that to return!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I miss the portal, mostly because I could browse new topics w/o having to log in.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I miss the portal too. :hello

Some topics get bumped up a lot and each time it's updated you must click the forum section to see what the"new" post is.

Doh!...it's the same thread! 8O :flushie :D
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

90sKid wrote:I have to say I miss it as well. Or at least, I wish there was a section we could click that would show all the newest posts. Even though this site gets posts daily, it's a little inactive to have to click through each category to find the newest posts. I liked how the portal showed which threads were updated. I'd love for a function like that to return!
Actually, there IS a way to do this. :) I'm not hugely familiar with this software, either, but if you look toward the top left, beneath the banner, right at the top of the forum list, there is a line of links that read: View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics. Then, when you're done reading the posts you're interested in, go back to the main page by clicking the banner. To the right, directly across from these links, there's another one that reads: Mark forums read.

I hope that helps!

~ DW
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

It does !! :bow
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

Deadly Whispers wrote:
90sKid wrote:I have to say I miss it as well. Or at least, I wish there was a section we could click that would show all the newest posts. Even though this site gets posts daily, it's a little inactive to have to click through each category to find the newest posts. I liked how the portal showed which threads were updated. I'd love for a function like that to return!
Actually, there IS a way to do this. :) I'm not hugely familiar with this software, either, but if you look toward the top left, beneath the banner, right at the top of the forum list, there is a line of links that read: View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics. Then, when you're done reading the posts you're interested in, go back to the main page by clicking the banner. To the right, directly across from these links, there's another one that reads: Mark forums read.

I hope that helps!

~ DW
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I wanted. =) I'm always so bad at navigating sites when they have an overhaul. x)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Deadly Whispers wrote:Actually, there IS a way to do this. :) I'm not hugely familiar with this software, either, but if you look toward the top left, beneath the banner, right at the top of the forum list, there is a line of links that read: View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics. Then, when you're done reading the posts you're interested in, go back to the main page by clicking the banner. To the right, directly across from these links, there's another one that reads: Mark forums read.

I hope that helps!

~ DW
That's exactly how I see new posts... been using it for years now, rather than the portal scroller. It's the only way I ever know what to look at when I visit. :) I had no idea so few knew that it existed. *laughs* Go figure!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I kept missing posts using it so I'm still checking each forum individually. I don't check it consistently so it screws it all up. :P
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Keropi wrote:I kept missing posts using it so I'm still checking each forum individually. I don't check it consistently so it screws it all up. :P
Try the "view unread posts", Keropi. If you visit, but don't look at everything, the posts won't be "new" to you anymore. As long as you didn't read them, they should be under the unread posts.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Ah...okay. I see what you guys mean. Thanks guys! I'll do it that way from now on. :)

Thanks for your help.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

zerospace wrote:The portal. Ugh! I may be the only one here who feels this way, but I do NOT miss the portal.
:hitting: Well, it looks like you got your wish. ;) I never had any problems with the portal on my Android. Must be the difference in our connection speeds.

I'm like Rei in that I used the portal to see new posts without needing to login. Based on what I read there and/or how much time I had was whether I logged in or not. Then I went straight to the unread posts to avoid going to each individual section. As I said before if it's not coming back, that's okay. I would request it back if possible though.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

I definitely miss the portal. I usually just cruise by this forum once or twice a day (sometimes way more than that even) and I would just glance at the portal without logging in.

Now that I have to either log in or browse each section I find I'm only checking the site once every 3 days or so. I'm afraid I'm pretty lazy. :/