Portal?

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Portal?

Post by zerospace »

duotrouble wrote::hitting: Well, it looks like you got your wish. ;) I never had any problems with the portal on my Android. Must be the difference in our connection speeds.
Really? What browser do you use, DT? I mostly use stock on both my phone (though I don't surf on my phone much) and on my tablets. Maybe it's mostly the stock browser on my honeycomb tablet (I use this most often). It has some odd glitches for sure, but it never let me click on those scrolling posts. If it did, it lagged so bad I never let it load :P. My tablet doesn't use 3G or any cellular connection -- it's a Wi-Fi Asus Transformer. My froyo-based tablet (well, ok, it's going to have froyo til later today when I load up an experimental honeycomb build on it) also is Wi-Fi only. I could swear Firefox mobile also hated the scrolling posts, but I can't remember now. I used to use Firefox mobile on my froyo tab because of the bookmark sync feature. I've tried Dolphin, but hated it ... Skyfire is generally pretty nice, though. I use that sometimes, too.

Dunno ... I'd be OK with a portal if it had a recent posts area but without the scroller. I realize that most folks used the portal more than me, so I know I'm the minority ^_~.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Deadly Whispers wrote:
90sKid wrote:I have to say I miss it as well. Or at least, I wish there was a section we could click that would show all the newest posts. Even though this site gets posts daily, it's a little inactive to have to click through each category to find the newest posts. I liked how the portal showed which threads were updated. I'd love for a function like that to return!
Actually, there IS a way to do this. :) I'm not hugely familiar with this software, either, but if you look toward the top left, beneath the banner, right at the top of the forum list, there is a line of links that read: View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics. Then, when you're done reading the posts you're interested in, go back to the main page by clicking the banner. To the right, directly across from these links, there's another one that reads: Mark forums read.

I hope that helps!

~ DW
Well that only works if you log in each time otherwise your options are only View Unanswered Posts & View Active Topic's . That's missing a lot.
I personally liked the portal for I could see what was new without needing to log in while at work. I would then only log in if I found something I wanted to add to at that time. I am not that comfortable logging in my ID & password on a work computer and of course would never have that computer "remember" that info unlike my home computer.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

JWR wrote: Well that only works if you log in each time otherwise your options are only View Unanswered Posts & View Active Topic's . That's missing a lot.
I personally liked the portal for I could see what was new without needing to log in while at work. I would then only log in if I found something I wanted to add to at that time. ....
Exactly!
I feel the same way. :? I always used the portal as a way of seeing what topics were
being discussed so that if I didn't have to log in I wouldn't. Especially when I'm at work
during my 5-min breaks.
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

I'm kicking around the idea of adding a portal back, but not making it the default beta homepage. Maybe add a button that says "bookmark me" so the people who like it can still come right to it while the folks who don't can still come to the forum main page. What to you guys think?

-M
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
JWR

Post by JWR »

That would work for me if you can do that.

One other minor item is that in the previous version there was a feature that listed upcoming birthday out to a week before. This current one only lists them on the actual day.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

magician wrote:I'm kicking around the idea of adding a portal back, but not making it the default beta homepage. Maybe add a button that says "bookmark me" so the people who like it can still come right to it while the folks who don't can still come to the forum main page. What to you guys think?

-M
This sounds perfect! :)
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

Yea !! :bow
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

magician wrote:I'm kicking around the idea of adding a portal back, but not making it the default beta homepage. Maybe add a button that says "bookmark me" so the people who like it can still come right to it while the folks who don't can still come to the forum main page. What to you guys think?

-M
I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm just wondering. Has this been done or are we still thinking about it? In my current lurker stage, I find myself not visiting here for longer and longer durations because there is no easy way to see the posts without logging in.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

Now that Beta's published for mobile devices, and the base code is up to date, I'll add the portal next. I'm going to see what I can get done over the weekend.

-M
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Just curious. Was there progress made on this?
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!