"The Connection was Reset"

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

"The Connection was Reset"

Post by sensei »

Is anyone else getting this message (Firefox version) every time you visit Beta? I refresh the screen, and the connection goes through. But this looks like a server problem similar to the one RS had a few weeks ago ("Rubberslug does not exist" etc.)
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: "The Connection was Reset"

Post by graymouser »

Yes. I have been getting that. I just push try again and it usually goes through the second time.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Same here on Chrome. It says that the page does not exist, I reload, and it loads fine. Very weird.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, I've been wondering why that has been coming up lately.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Rubberslug had a similar twitch, and Jason seems to have resolved it by rebooting the server. I don't know who is now in charge of the physical server where Beta's platform exists, but I think a note to whoever maintains that might be in order. If nothing else, it deters new visitors and people browsing for info on anime art.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

sensei wrote:Rubberslug had a similar twitch, and Jason seems to have resolved it by rebooting the server. I don't know who is now in charge of the physical server where Beta's platform exists, but I think a note to whoever maintains that might be in order. If nothing else, it deters new visitors and people browsing for info on anime art.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not going to be possible. Beta is on a shared server environment, meaning that not only it is hosted on the physical machine, but many other web sites as well (according to the lookup I did, over 1000 other domains share the same IP address as Beta, YIKES!). The hosting companies aren't even in control of their physical hardware half of the time, unless they're a really good one that actually owns their own machines (believe it or not, they don't all actually own their hardware, some rent it from other companies and sell the space). They usually won't just respond to a request to reboot a physical server, as it affects all web sites hosted on that server.

It's probably an issue that the hosting company needs to deal with for sure, but the only way to do that is for the owner of the hosting account to complain about the problem via the hosts own systems (usually involves opening a support ticket request).

As of today, I'm not having this issue though yesterday, Beta was extremely slow to load for me. Between that and the connection resets you guys were getting, that suggests a high load on the server, possibly caused by another site hosted there being attacked or some other similar type of issue. ;) Whatever the case, I hope its resolved quickly.
sensei

Post by sensei »

This issue has now recurred in recent days. It is, as before, just a nuisance, as refreshing immediately brings you to the website. But it is a nuisance and unfortunately may put off new or potential members.

I've passed this on to Rekka Alexiel, who is the current administrator of the forum. She reports that she is still working on getting physical ownership of the forum from Magician. Once this is done, she intends to install an upgrade to bring Anime-Beta in compliance with the latest phpBB version, which should eliminate nuisance problems such as these. She has already done this for another message board on her site, and she reports that the results are dramatic and useful. This upgrade will also give the present admin. team the practical ability to consider and (if we agree they are prudent) implement some of the changes that have been proposed in other threads.

Please stay tuned for updates on the Magician --> Rekka Alexiel transfer of power. We regret that this has taken so much longer than usual.
sensei

Post by sensei »

And again. As before, refreshing or hitting "Try again" solves the problem.

But it is a nuisance, and the admin staff has been duly poked. I will pass on any updates. Meanwhile, "keep trying"!
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by earl »

I've been getting quite a few errors over the past week or two. It seems like every few pages I visit result in an error. It's resolved by reloading the page, but annoying.
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
sensei

Post by sensei »

Yes, observed on this front too. The team has been duly notified with time, browser info., etc. More details as we have them. Meanwhile, keep calm and keep clicking "Refresh."