Can people access the new "Open House" forum?

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Can people access the new "Open House" forum?

Post by sensei »

After a recent exchange on the proposed 2015 AB Open House, it occurred to me that we had forums for all the cel/sketch contests but not for this event. So I created a separate forum for this, and moved the relevant threads over. Whereupon the discussion died. And last night I got a wistful request from a Betarian to be given access to said new forum.

Can forum participants not visit and post in this forum? I did try to clone the permission settings from another, public forum, but I admit that I don't know enough about how the program works to be sure I've done the right thing. My apologies if my efforts to help out this effort instead killed it for a while.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Can people access the new "Open House" forum?

Post by zerospace »

I can see it on the board index, sensei -- it is a sub-forum listed under "Anime and Production Art" . viewforum.php?f=82

But I get a permission denied message if I try to go to it. ;)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Since you mentioned it in the open house thread, sensei, I figured I'd post this here, as it really doesn't belong in the other thread:

Beta likely has multiple groups that members can belong to (aside from admin & mod groups) because of the speakeasy. What you need is to give the main group of registered members access to the new sub-forum you created. That group is probably called "Members" or "Registered users" or something like that. You must have had the permissions close, as I could SEE the new section, but could not access it.

BTW: Are there no mods on the new staff that actually know how to run a forum?! As in, from a technical perspective? At all? That's um... kind of important, peeps. *sigh* Mods really need to know how to actually do something other than ... you know, write posts & send PMs. :P Sounds like you guys need a global higher level moderator that can actually handle technical stuff while the admin isn't available. Or perhaps, a secondary admin who has more time (kind of like Goldknight was for magician). Just a suggestion. ;)

------------------------

Reference: https://www.phpbb.com/
Support & documentation: https://www.phpbb.com/support/

PhpBB, the software behind Anime Beta, is an open source PHP/SQL based forum. Its entire documentation is posted online. You might want to check it out. ;)
sensei

Post by sensei »

zerospace wrote:BTW: Are there no mods on the new staff that actually know how to run a forum?! As in, from a technical perspective? At all? That's um... kind of important, peeps. *sigh* Mods really need to know how to actually do something other than ... you know, write posts & send PMs. :P Sounds like you guys need a global higher level moderator that can actually handle technical stuff while the admin isn't available. Or perhaps, a secondary admin who has more time (kind of like Goldknight was for magician). Just a suggestion. ;)
Passing this on in the private thread for mods. and admins. I have to agree with you, zero. I very reluctantly took the task of "admin-in-waiting" as I understood that there would be some mentoring that would take place after the shift-over. But this has never taken place, and the fact that there is, evidently, no one who has my back, makes me nervous and very reluctant to do any more admin. work.

Keep in mind, everyone, that I have a serious operation scheduled in three weeks (cancer, a bad type, though the doctors give me a chance of a chance). So the idea that I could learn PhpBB by myself with lots of other things to do in my various other lives is impractical. I don't want to resign entirely from my mod/admin-in-waiting role, but after the operation I will not be able to be involved here for a long time, and the results of my treatment will determine the future extent to which I will be involved here.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

sensei wrote:
zerospace wrote:BTW: Are there no mods on the new staff that actually know how to run a forum?! As in, from a technical perspective? At all? That's um... kind of important, peeps. *sigh* Mods really need to know how to actually do something other than ... you know, write posts & send PMs. :P Sounds like you guys need a global higher level moderator that can actually handle technical stuff while the admin isn't available. Or perhaps, a secondary admin who has more time (kind of like Goldknight was for magician). Just a suggestion. ;)
Passing this on in the private thread for mods. and admins. I have to agree with you, zero. I very reluctantly took the task of "admin-in-waiting" as I understood that there would be some mentoring that would take place after the shift-over. But this has never taken place, and the fact that there is, evidently, no one who has my back, makes me nervous and very reluctant to do any more admin. work.

Keep in mind, everyone, that I have a serious operation scheduled in three weeks (cancer, a bad type, though the doctors give me a chance of a chance). So the idea that I could learn PhpBB by myself with lots of other things to do in my various other lives is impractical. I don't want to resign entirely from my mod/admin-in-waiting role, but after the operation I will not be able to be involved here for a long time, and the results of my treatment will determine the future extent to which I will be involved here.
Good luck to you with your operation, sensei. I hope things go well.

At this point, I'd be willing to help out. I'd prefer to stay as hands-off as possible with actually playing the role of moderator, but I can play co-admin handling technical stuff just on the back end if your current admin needs someone with the time & skills to do it. You guys seem to be desperately in need of someone with my level of knowledge that's around more often. Drop me a PM if you want to discuss it. :)