Who would register anime-beta.COM?

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
soda
Jiggle Counter

Who would register anime-beta.COM?

Post by soda »

I accidently typed in anime-beta.com and found out that it's been registered. I can't believe someone would do this? Why would they want this address and for what purpose?
Last edited by soda on Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

It is my fundamental purpose.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

Wasn't that this site's old URL?
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

I thought of that too but I would have figured that since it expired that it would be available.

Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

I admit, I purchased it...

Total coincidence though, I meant anime-beta.com to be a contraction of animo-acid-beta-carotene.com...

...sorta a health freak I guess.
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Re: Who would register anime-beta.COM?

Post by magician »

soda wrote:I accidently typed in anime-beta.com and found out that it's been registered. I can't believe someone would do this? Why would they want this address and for what purpose?
I lost www.anime-beta.com before David's registration had even expired. When I got the passwords off his PC last year, they were all the same, so I didn't dig into every last site on his PC. His family was in the room watching me as I hacked his passwords from the PC's registry and honestly it was a rather uncomfortable situation so I got out as quickly as I could with what I thought I needed. For whatever reason, the password he set on the domain registrars website was not the same one he used on everything else so I could not access it to transfer ownership to myself, nor could I renew it. I had no access or legal rights to the domain.

The only option I had was to pre-purchase it and wait for it to expire. I bought a pre-purchase reservation in early August at the same time I bought my www.oftheoak.com domain and the space on this host. David's registration expired on September 6th so I though I was OK. I didn't figure anyone else would want it. I was wrong.

www.anime-beta.com was pre-purchased prior to August by Jason Marcinko of Tampa Florida thru a different and more expensive service than I used. Since he made his purchase first, he got the domain when it expired. He paid for one year of ownership. I bought www.anime-beta.net for 2 years and contacted him to see if he would make me a trade. He agreed, provided I pay for the transfer costs and the cost of his prepay which came out to over $100 (just for the domain, no hosting was included). I agreed to all this and sent him several emails telling him that, but I never heard back from him again.

I am actually looking into getting a copyright on the name Anime-beta. This is not going to be an easy or cheap process, but I think it's worthwhile. If I can get a copyright on the name and the site, his domain purchase will be essentially worthless as I will have legal recourse should he publish a site there. I intend to make Anime-Beta as permanent a fixture on the web as I can. My domain pre-purchase is still in place so if he chooses not to renew, I should be next in line to get it.

My only real consolation in this is that he has had the domain for just over 4 months of his 12 month purchase and has done nothing with it. Perhaps he won't use it at all.

-A
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

wowzers... that's a lot more info than I expected. Thanks for the great explanation. Do you know why he would want the name? Does anyone? I also agree that copyrighting Anime-Beta would be a great step. Thanks for the info.

Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

I have no idea what his plans were/are for the domain. I did ask him if he was planning a forum, an online store, or what. His answer was something like "I won't go into my plans for Anime-Beta, but it's in the works". That was the beginning of November.
(")_(")domination.
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Just out of interest how much would it cost for you to copyright the name Anime-Beta? I think is should really be done. If the person who purchased anime-beta.com does in fact set up a store, they will definately copyright the name, which would make our beloved forum have to change its name.. and probably domain as well, something Im sure no-one here wants to see happen.
If you could get the costs up, perhaps we could get a rally of beta members and if everyone pitches in a dollar or few we could get the cash in no time ^_^

Pomidor
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

I couldn't agree more. I'd be more than happy to pitch in to get the name copyrighted. ^_^

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
celgami
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by celgami »

Now we can make use of the new Paypal button on the home page!
Hey, how come GK gets to be treasurer? :)
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Hey, how come GK gets to be treasurer?
8O Excuse Me?
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

celgami wrote:Hey, how come GK gets to be treasurer? :)
:puzzled Because I fried my brain on board hacks and can barely count to 10 anymore :drool

Well, that and she is the Paypal guru. I gave up Paypal years ago.
(")_(")domination.
NightWoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by NightWoof »

E

There....that might help!

NightWoof
BleedingOrange
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: I am everywhere and yet, nowhere... all at the same time. Whoa.

Post by BleedingOrange »

I agree... I'd make a contribution to get Anime-Beta copyrighted. I don't want to see the forum have to change it's name. If we're really going to do it we should get it done now. I'll make a contribution whenever needed. Just PM me or email me when you guys are ready to accept them.
Visit: Bleeding Orange - DBZ Cel Gallery
"It seems a demon has possessed your trousers... care for an exorcism?"