Who would register anime-beta.COM?

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

This is awesome! The cost of the initial copyright submission will be $45. I looked into trademarking the name rather than copyrighting it, but a trademark application could easily exceed $500.

If you guys are serious about contributing, feel free to use the Paypal link. Every last cent that comes into that account will get put right back into the site's upkeep, and I will be happy to submit the copyright form the moment we hit $45. Anything above that will go to purchasing more time on the host or extending the domain ownership period. I was planning to submit the application in April after I pay my fair share to Uncle Sam, but I will be happy to send it in before that.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

I've already copyrighted [url=http://www.you_DORK_you_clicked_it_didn't_you.com]www.sodarulestheworld.com[/url] so dont' even think about it.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

"it" being in anime-betadot com and found out that it is been registered?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
NightWoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by NightWoof »

Where did you go to get the price for the copyright? Would be interesting to have nightwoof.com copywrited...or something :)

NightWoof
celgami
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by celgami »

How goes the copyrighting?
Is it a long process?
awajikiwi
Kishin - Fierce God

copyright

Post by awajikiwi »

soda wrote: I also agree that copyrighting Anime-Beta would be a great step. Thanks for the info.
Copyrighting isn't worth doing unless you are a big company and loaded with cash, or unless to plain on being a big company some day.

The problem is if someone infringes on your copyright to only way you can get them to listen is get a lawyer to send them a letter $$$ + $$$ = A waste of time if your don't have it and money to kill.

Also what say I purchased the domain, With me living in Japan it would cost more.

I am not saying that not copyrighting is a bad thing, Just it doesn't always work, Hikaru no Go is copyrighted but AB still uses it on its front page :O
Displaying cels and artwork I can handle [ probably is wrong in some lawyers eyes ] but adding artwork to logos is something I consider wrong.

I am not trying to sound _pissy_ Just stating an opinion
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

Sorry I have been neglecting things for a few days. I have had another virus outbreak to fight at work and I had to format and reload my laptop again. I like to fiddle with the registry and I always seem to dig just a little too deep for my own good.

First answer. I found the copywrite submission form on the website I use to buy my domains. www.godaddy.com. Here is the direct link.

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/copyrigh ... id=GoDaddy

Second answer. I have not submitted the application yet. I have been procrastinating badly here and intend to correct this before the weekend is out.

Third answer. I am looking to copywrite the name Anime-Beta. Since the other domain was purchased and an intent to use it was made clear, I want to have some legal protection on the name. I know a copywrite isn't the end-all-be-all protection against infringement, and lawyers aren't cheap, but this is better than no protction at all. A trademark would cost over $1000 to get and while I don't mind paying for part of the site upkeep, that is out of my pricerange. I agree with the point made about hikaru no go in the banner here, but this site is not a business and no profit is made from it. If any kind of e-business gets published on the anime-bea.com address and I have a copywrite on the name, I will have options other than just changing the site name.

I just want to try to keep as much of David's vision and history in the site as I can and keep it on the web as long as I can.

-M
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
awajikiwi
Kishin - Fierce God

Chances are copyrighting the name

Post by awajikiwi »

Magician wrote:Third answer. I am looking to copywrite the name Anime-Beta. Since the other domain was purchased and an intent to use it was made clear, I want to have some legal protection on the name. I know a copywrite isn't the end-all-be-all protection against infringement, and lawyers aren't cheap, but this is better than no protction at all.
Chances are copyrighting the name will give you no protection.

What kind of protection are you after ? Someone _taking_ the anime-beta domain ? If so don't worry, Just keep renewing the domain name in a timely matter and you will have no problems.

Or are you after stopping people purchasing domains like anime-beta.jp anime-beta.org anime-beta-sucks.com anime-beta2.com etc etc ?
If you want to stop this it isn't easy and costs TONS. Just look at sites like http://www.paypalsucks.com/ paypal is powerless to stop them.
Magician wrote:I just want to try to keep as much of David's vision and history in the site as I can and keep it on the web as long as I can.
The site is great and you have formed a nice community here, Personally I don't believe the domain name matters.
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Re: Chances are copyrighting the name

Post by Deadly Whispers »

AnimeMuseum wrote:Chances are copyrighting the name will give you no protection.

What kind of protection are you after ? Someone _taking_ the anime-beta domain ? If so don't worry, Just keep renewing the domain name in a timely matter and you will have no problems.

Or are you after stopping people purchasing domains like anime-beta.jp anime-beta.org anime-beta-sucks.com anime-beta2.com etc etc ?
If you want to stop this it isn't easy and costs TONS. Just look at sites like http://www.paypalsucks.com/ paypal is powerless to stop them.
Now, that's an interesting take on this. :) I am one of those who encouraged Magician in the copyright idea, so I want to add my two cents American.

I think, more what he wanted (and me too) is no more change. If the man who will use Anime-Beta.com uses the name "Anime-Beta" to make money, he could quite possibly come back here and demand that we change our name, not just the domain. It's not the domain we're focusing on here (so those who register "anime-beta.jp anime-beta.org anime-beta-sucks.com anime-beta2.com etc etc" don't really matter to me - it's a semi-free internet!), just our right to keep using the name that Allison gave us. Anime-Beta, a forum for cel collectors. I would cry to see the name go, to tell you the truth. Especially since it was tongue-in-cheek in the first place. *cough*

But then, I could just be a big baby. :emb

Meh, I'm not opening up anything for serious discussion here as I'm rarely serious - I was just hoping to clarify what Magician had in mind. Like I said, I read your posts and went . . . "Huh. Good point." :P

Toodles! :flushie