Problem with "Last Post" Feature

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Problem with "Last Post" Feature

Post by rallihir »

I am using MAC OS 10.3 and the Safari browser. Does anyone else have a problem with not being to use the "last post" feature of the discussion board. It seems that whatever cookie information is being transmitted seems to indicate that my last login time is the same time that I am currently logged in, so when I use the "topics since last post" feature, I get no topics even though the counter when I log in states that there are XXX posts since my last login. I suspect that this is a JAVA problem related to Safari, since I did not have the problem with a computer running Windows XP at work. Anyone have any ideas?
Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Nathan »

Moved to Forum section :)
*looks around for Magician*
...just one more
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

This ties in to my log in problem that has returned :(
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What does "this" refer to?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

This topic
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

I have never used the safari browser nor have I used OS 10.3, so I haven't tested Beta on it. I will see if the support forums on phpBB.com can offer me any insight into browser compatibility problems.

I don't know what to say about the new posts problems several of you are experiencing. I check the site every day from multiple computers both at home and at work and I never have any problems. I use Winxp pro at home, win2k, win2kserver, win2k3server, redhat linux, and suse linux stations at work and I can always see the unread posts.

I am happy to change the settings to the cookie that controls this feature, but doing so will wipe out everyone's "remember me" login information.

It could be another piece of software is affecting your internet activity. Perhaps a software firewall, popup killer, spam filter...etc is causing the problem.

If you are using IE 6, you could try resetting the security levels for your internet traffic, trusted sites, and privacy to the defaults. To do this, click tools > internet options and click the security tab. Click the "Internet" image , then click "default". Next, click the "trusted sites" icon and click "default". Next, click the privacy tab, and click the default button.

If all else fails and enough of you are having this problem, I will change the cookie.

-M
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

I haven't forgotten about this. I have not gotten any feedback on the Safari browser from the phpBB creators yet. I will approach the design group at my work this week to see if any of them are using Safari on their design Mac workstations.

Did my suggestions help any of the rest of you guys who were having problems? I'm still willing to change the cookie if you are still having problems.

Edit:
I am kicking myself tonight. When I built this version of Beta, I installed phpBB 2.0.6d. The fine folks at phpBB.com are always checking the software for bugs and fixing them, and they have fixed a bunch. phpbb versions 2.0.7, 2.0.7a, 2.0.8 and 2.0.8a have all been released since I opened this URL on March 3rd. Many of the bug fixes and security patches are addressing login issues.

I sat here tonight and manually upgraded all necessary files from 2.0.6d to 2.0.7 then to 2.0.7a. I will let the site run for a day or two, then go to 2.0.8 and to 2.0.8a. This is a slow and tedious process because this build is very heavily customized and I don't want to break any of the toys that have been added.

Let me know if there is any difference, good or bad with searches, private messages, logging in, unread posts....etc.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Majin_Vegeta_2028
Senpai - Elder

Post by Majin_Vegeta_2028 »

thanx for all the hard work M :)

"He has stolen my honor, and his debts must be paid!"
- Majin Vegeta

"... I'm going to verify my exsistence.."
- Gaara

"Beneath the courageous, there is nothing."
- Kakashi
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Thanks for the update. It works fine now with the version changes.
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Just to let you know, I run Win XP pro and I have a problem getting the "View posts since last visit" option to work. The numbers that are displayed in the brackets change properly, but whenever I click on the link I get this message "No topics or posts met your search criteria" I dont know if this is just me or if its everyone. Hope that helps ^_^

Pomidor
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Pomidor wrote:Just to let you know, I run Win XP pro and I have a problem getting the "View posts since last visit" option to work. The numbers that are displayed in the brackets change properly, but whenever I click on the link I get this message "No topics or posts met your search criteria" I dont know if this is just me or if its everyone. Hope that helps ^_^

Pomidor
Yep, that's precisely what I am getting again.
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

It seems I'm having similar problems mentioned already. :O

I can't stay logged in, even though I click the 'remember me' button. When I close my browser for a minute and go back to Beta, I have to sign in all over again. I also don't get an accurate reading of 'new posts' when I visit. I have to rely on reading the dates of posts submitted to see what's new.

I've deleted my cookies, and that's when the problem started. :roll: Any help?
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Kane
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by Kane »

I'm getting that same message too, and I deleted my cookies the other day, and now I'm not staying logged in when I leave. I use Mozilla as my browser, and I was able to stay logged in with it (not with IE, though) until I deleted those cookies on tuesday.
ImageImage
Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Nathan »

8O *realises Mag must be tinkering*
I have had no problems... but just then got logged out after posting a message and the scheme changed as well - got a shock 8O

edit - now it is highlighting this topic as unread... when I posted here last*
*decides to give it a rest for a while* :)
...just one more
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Nathan wrote:8O *realises Mag must be tinkering*
I have had no problems... but just then got logged out after posting a message and the scheme changed as well - got a shock 8O

edit - now it is highlighting this topic as unread... when I posted here last*
*decides to give it a rest for a while* :)
lol I was about to say the same thing. Quite a shock, lol. I cant stay logged in either now, and I havent doen anything to my cookies. Magician must be updating ^_^ Hope everything works out.

Pomidor