3rd time's the charm

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

3rd time's the charm

Post by magician »

Last night was the 3rd host-caused outage since Feb 4th. I'm done. I will begin shopping for a new web host for the forum tonight. Avahost has not offered any explanation other than this:
Hello,

We really do apologise for the inconvenience created.
The server was down for sometime and we have brought it back online.
You will be able to access your site as well all your
mails now.Kindly check out.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
Avahost Support
:bwall :kaioken
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but isn't that about how life is with any server? Yes, it's a bummer when I try to log on and can't, but I guess I just shrug and try again later. I hate to have you go to tons of trouble, Magician, if you'll just run in to the same thing somewhere else. I don't visit too many sites as frequently as I do this one, but I haven't gone anywhere where they don't have this same thing occasionally. So I won't sweat it if you won't! :) (And, yah, I know it's your 'job' to sweat it -- but take a chill pill because we're not worked up about it. Just makes us more appreciative of the site when we can get back on! ;)
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

I would tend to agree with that statement except for Avahost's claim of better than 99% uptime. Our previous host, while their customer service was abysmal, had only one outage in the 6 months I was involved with them, and it was a mysql problem rather than a webserver problem.

The 24x7 response avahost promises is a pantload. None of the 11 tickets I have opened have been addressed in less than 8 hours. The request I made to migrate the site to a new server on a specific date was ignored, resulting in a full day's worth of posts disappearing.

I also cannot get any explanation as to the cause of these problems. The response I posted today is the most detailed response they have given me since I opened this account. The usual response is "your site is accessible again. Thanks." That's not good enough. This host offers e-commerce services in all their packages. If Beta was a business and kept suffering unexplained outages, I would be losing money on every outage.

I would not be worried about finding a new host if the only problem was sporadic outages. I deal with them daily in my professional life. My attitude is coming from the sum of these problems.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Ugh. How frustrating! Good luck on however you decide to handle the problem, magician! :)
hanaeleh
Senpai - Elder

Post by hanaeleh »

shellie wrote:Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but isn't that about how life is with any server?
I'm not very computer-y saavy, but my brother has his own server. It's gone out once or twice in the past few *years*. When it did go down, it was up again within a few hours.

Granted, his isn't that large, and he's not a major company, but it just seems to be happening a lot on this server lately.

*Happy she doesn't really understand computers so she can leave all of the technical stuff to someone else to deal with... Thank you, Magician!*
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

Cels for Sale!!
http://www.hanaeleh.com/cels/celgallery.html