Won't stay logged in

Ideas, gripes, suggestions, questions - Talk about Anime-Beta in general!
ogr81vegeta
Kishin - Fierce God

Won't stay logged in

Post by ogr81vegeta »

It's only been about the last week and a half that it won't keep me logged in. I've never had a prob with it before, and nothing has changed on my computer. So I wanted to see if any one had any suggestions that I might try.
And yes I have clicked on the log me in automatically box :D
"Falling from heaven is not as difficult as surviving the impact"
magician
Ghost in the machine
Ghost in the machine

Post by magician »

This problem has been cropping up for various people over that last several weeks now. I tried to make some adjustments to the cooke settings about 2 weeks ago along with some security code upgrades I had to do as part of the software upgrade to 2.0.7. I also changed the time/date stamps on all the core software files that run this site to force everyone's system to download and use the fresh files.

I don't want to sound harsh or uninterested in the problem here because I am concerned people are having trouble, but the problem is not in the software or settings on this site. If the problem did reside in the site files/settings then everyone including me would have this problem. It only seems to be affecting a few people.

I regularly access Beta from a number of computers both at home and at work. As I have stated in an earlier thread, I have no problems with the "remember me" option for staying logged in, and for seeing the new posts on any of the systems I use which include the following:
Laptop with XP Pro
Desktop with Windows 2000
Server running Win2000 server
Server running Win2003 server
Server running Redhat 9.0 w/Mozilla browser
Workstation running SUSE Linux 9.0

I don't do anything special on these machines with the exception of my Laptop which has some pretty specialized tools running on it. I also check the site from internet cafes, and hotspots and have no problems.

Now....I do believe some of you are having problems and I have experienced them myself at various times. Immediately after changing the cookie a few weeks ago, I would not stay logged in regardless of how that box was checked. I was able to correct this by deleting all the cookies and temporary internet files from the machine, and closing and re-launching the browser. I know this works for some people but not for others. Some firewall and internet security programs could also prevent cookies from saving properly. You might try disabling those apps and trying the login option again.

I will be going to www.phpBB.com after posting here to see if this problem has been brought up there and see what if any suggestions are available.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Echo
Senpai - Elder
Location: The tractor ridin', beer totin', shotgun firin' capital of the world..

Post by Echo »

Hey Ogr81, you know what worked for me? Try changing your bookmark. I was having the same problems, I couldn't stay logged in even after clicking the auto button, after deleting my old cookies and internet cache, etc.. It was really frusterating. I am running Windows 2000 (as Magician said it was fine for him with 2000) so I didn't understand why it wasn't working. I noticed though, if I went back to the beta url through my address bar that I was able to stay logged in. Just for the heck of it I deleted my old bookmark and re-saved it after re-logging in and for some reason, it worked! Not really sure why as I'm not computer literate, but I'm not complaining. Hope this helps.
Kane
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by Kane »

Echo I never thought of doing that! I just tried it and so far I can close my browser and open up Mozilla or IE and I'm STILL logged in! :yay :yay :yay :dban :vict Can you tell I'm happy! :P Wooohoooo! Lets just hope I haven't celebrated too soon! :D
ImageImage
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

Wow...thanks for the tip Echo!
I was suffering from the same problem....
so I gave what you said a try and by golly
it worked!! :o
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

So? Was it worth it?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

So? Was it worth it? Cloud said.

Yes it was, very worth while.....
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

""? I said?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

Thank you so much Echo. I was having the same trouble too. I stopped bothering to log in for a while because of it. I guess I should read this section more often.