Recent Acquisition

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Recent Acquisition

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Well, I just had my credit card paid off... now I'm sticking a good $300 more on the thing... *sigh* Have any of you had your heart set on a particular auction... and you have little competition with other bidders until the final 10 minutes of the auction... and then the price shoots up $200....and you still can't help but secure your winning bid once again.... This must be addiction!! lol

And this may sound kinda bad, but...I can't help this thought from surfacing... but Mandarake's auctions are and have been completely legit, right? Like, there hasn't been issues in the past where...they might intentionally bid up an auction, right? lol I know, I'm just being nuts, but that's always my fear... and then I'm stupid or crazy enough to win. Please, somebody tell me I'm not alone in these obsessive I MUST WIN tendencies... *sigh*
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

The must have tendencies are there must stronger then
I would like to admit. I have paid way more then I originally
planned on for something in the heat of the battle. X| Like
I have always said, though, it only takes one other person
who wants it as bad as you do. :P

As or Mandarake being legit, I would like ot think they are,
though, I have sometimes had those thoughts as well. Sometimes
it seems like that could be what's happening, but I just need to
push that out of my mind, or I would never bid on any Mandarake
auctions. :P
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

Hehehe, I know what you mean. Although I think I've mellowed out these days and I usually just put up a bid and hope for the best. (unless it's something I -really- wanted of couse ^^; )

As for Mandarake shill bidding... some how I doubt it. I think they have a large enough customer base that they don't have to do that. And it's a big enough company that they shouldn't risk jeopardizing their reputation.
This must be addiction!!
It's worse than crack! lol
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Remi »

I agree with Kamidake. To be honest it never even occurred to me that they might be shill bidding up their own auctions, and I can be quite the skeptic at times. They make so much money off the auctions as is, it makes no sense to risk their reputation for a bit more. I know I've been the second high bidder on lots of Mandarake auctions that just kept creeping up and up during the extended time. Of course, with no listing of any of the bidders, I suppose anything is possible.

I will say I won my first item ever off a Big Web Auction today. I put in the smallest bid I could before I went to sleep, in case there was enough traffic on the site to only allow follow-up bids. Surprisingly that bid made me high bidder, and when I woke up this morning to watch the end it held out. It was a nice change from most of the cels I usually go after, but then it's not from a big ticket show like Kenshin or Inuyasha.

Auction extenders kill wallets. It's always 'just a few more dollars, just a few more dollars' until you realize you've gone several times over where you planned to stop. Of course a week later a cel you like even better pops up and then you are kicking yourself. So really, restraint is an excellent thing to learn in this hobby, and I still stink at it for the most part. It's a learning process for us all!

Most auctions I set a max bid and stick with it, even if I wait until the end to place it. If I don't see the auction and immediately think to myself 'price be damned, it will be MINE!' I come up with an absolute max and don't pass ot. If it's not on my wishlist or very similar to something is, it's unlikely it will fall into that must-have category. I have gotten quite good at not thinking every gorgeous cel I see is a dream cel.

As for must-haves... I can't remember the last one. It might have been my Demon Inuyasha pan cel but that was like a year ago. There are a couple I felt that way about (a few Hisoka sans make-up cels come to mind), but even so I didn't win any of them, so they must not have been. My Legato cel from Trigun probably would bave been one but it was bought from a cel shop. I'm probably forgetting something but oh well.

As for Mandarake auctions, one down and one to go! I doubt I'll be as lucky on the second but it could happen!
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
aernath
Perv-chan
Location: Half way across the country from where I was last time!

Post by aernath »

Good luck on your remaining auction!
It's good to hear someone had an easy win every now and then. :)

I've been chewing my lip raw and watching so many beautiful auctions go by because I put a Rilezu on hold for today (payday). I love the Rilezu and it's certainly worth every stress filled moment, but I do hate seeing the other beauties walk by! :l
And now I'll have to wait another four weeks to finish catching my allowance back up to even after paying for the Rilezu! *waaaah*
It's an 'spensive Rilezu! ouch. (Samurai Deeper Kyo ending credits! :D )

Anyway, GOOD LUCK with Mandarake auctions! I'm cheering for ya. ('Cause I'm not bidding against ya! :P )
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Heehee, thanks everybody! My fears must have come out of my extreme insomnia yesterday. I like traveling so much that jet lag doesn't really bother me, but to experience jet lag intentionally... is a little sadistic. lol I was sort of up for well over 24 hours yesterday. lol But I was actually awake and happy in the morning! I just sort of woke up at 12:45am and thought it was almost time for my soaps. hahaha

Anyway, I guess those fears also come from that one fake Kenshin cel I bought from them way back when. But I doubt that they'd voluntarily risk their solid business to make my bidding life hell. lol It was probably just another crazy fan like me. There's something fun about bidding wars, too, especially for must-have items... I'll have to post some images in my coming soon section for my win. lol
Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Remi »

Anyway, GOOD LUCK with Mandarake auctions! I'm cheering for ya.
Wasn't so lucky with this one. I gave up as it was crossing the $1000 mark. It was gorgeous enough that I very well may live to regret it, but at least now I can go after some other cels in the near future instead of being tapped for quite a while.

Still, it was a beauty... :roll:
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kisara »

*inconspicuously looks the other way*

Really, it's just you Rekka.

:P

*runs off to try an' get knight to delete insane rant about ebay*