Paying for Mandarake Auctions? UPDATE AGAIN!

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Mandarake wrote:Hello everybody,

This is Nicolas from Mandarake, I just discovered the forum today (who said late?), and found it very helpful in order to try to meet the demands of all our customers.

Regarding the payment problems, this is a real pain in the neck for us too, as we have to ask each person to contact their bank. Our securised payment system is for sure securised, but the banks policy regarding foreign debits is more and more strict, blocking cards that already made without any problems payments in the past. This problem occurs from all over the world, and the only solution is to contact the bank and ask them to deblock the card for japanese debits. They must know that, don't believe them if they told you your CC is ok! This is a simple operation, it doesn't take time, but they have to do it.

If you cannot make them do their job properly (so often in France :l ), you have the solution of sending us a copy of your CC (by fax or e-mail), and we will proceed to the payment through our Terminal, just like we used to do few years ago. We just have to check the numbers and the name on the CC are matching.

I am sorry for these problems, be sure we do our our best to make the payments possible the fastest we can! :)
Thanks for heading on over here! (I mentioned Beta, but had no idea
he'd sign up! LOL) And thanks Nicolas for handling my transaction. :)
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Lynxa
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: The Post Katrina Big Easy, Not quite as big but still just as easy.

Post by Lynxa »

Thanks and welcome Nicolas!!! :D

With my bank, two of them say there is no way to override the block. My last payment went through on your end (I just got my sketches :D) but it still hasn't hit my bank account and since it was making me nervous I e-mailed my bank to make sure they didn't block it.

Here's what they said (emphasis by me):
US Bank wrote:At this time, our records do not show a check card authorization from Mandarake has been received. I placed a remark on your check card and your checking account regarding this authorization. However, I am not able to guarantee the transaction will be approved. If the transaction is denied, this would be due to an internal fraud system that we are not able to override. I do apologize for any inconvenience it may cause if your transaction is denied.
My OTHER bank (the one I was having all the problems with) says that the only way to override the internal fraud system is to have the Japanese company put in the card manually over there AND input the PIN for a normal debit card sale.

I e-mailed Mandarake a scan of my card and had them put in my number manually but it didn't work. I have been ALL OVER THE WORLD and haven't found a single business outside America that uses pin numbers for debit transactions, so I don't know what my bank is talking about. :x

If anyone has a bank that doesn't have these problems, lemme know!!! :D
Last edited by Lynxa on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chzbrgr of Doom Better than the show at this point.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

That's the option I took (picture of my card). But Mandadrake's charges
usually don't appear on your statement for a long time later. I think it's a
month? 3 months? I honestly can't remember, but if you ask Lemar (GB),
he'll probably remember exactly how long it takes for the Mandy charge to appear.
Golden Boy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Golden Boy »

Yup, in my case, I have had Mandarake charges show up to 3 months later. I'm not sure if it's the bank or Manda or a combination of both. Just keep an eye out for it!

And a big welcome to Nicolas to Beta! He was absolutely awesome in getting my "extra" charges rectified. I can't thank him enough!

gb :wink:
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

very true GB,

in my experince with mandy things work different than with any other place..... i always check my CC statements on internet and with mandy it's always like this:

- Month 1 -> The amount charged appears as "reserved" counting towards the CC limit but it doesn't clear and appear as an statement in 3-4 days like any other payment....

- Month 2 -> The reserved amount completely dissapears but no statement appears on my CC

- Month 3 -> The amount suddenly appears as a purchase without any previous "3-4 days of reserve"...

The first time i purchased something on mandarake i thought for a moment that i was being charged again for a purchase made 2-3 months earlier....
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

As I generally use my debit card, I can't say I've had this experience *yet*....even when registering for this BWA.

However, I would suggest calling your credit/debit card company and explainning that you will be engaging in a transaction(or several) with Mandarake(or any other company).

I called up my bank, Bank of America, and let them know of my intent to purchase items with Mandarake. BofA wanted to know the company name and a time frame for when I'll pay Mandarake. They, in turn, made a comment in the system concerning the company that I intend to do business with, the location of said company and the time frame for which payment will be made.

I think that, as long as you let your credit/debit card company know, beforehand, of the possibility of buying from a foriegn location, that there shouldn't be any problems. I recall that, while in Spain, most people on the tour had their credit/debit card blocked because they failed to notify their bank prior to departure from the US that they would be travelling to a foriegn company. Blocking seems like a standard procedure for most banks.

I realize that this doesn't help your situation, Lynxa. Is it possible that, in a case such as this, that Mandarake will accept a international postal money order? Perhaps Nicolas or any other Mandarake employee might shed some light on this question?

Thanks in advance!
Mandarake

Post by Mandarake »

darksuzaku wrote: The first time i purchased something on mandarake i thought for a moment that i was being charged again for a purchase made 2-3 months earlier....
It happens sometimes indeed :).

Basically, when you use your CC, you will be charged at the end of the following month, this is how it works. No, this is how it's supposed to work :? . In the real life, the debit appears on your statement the following month very often, sometimes 3 months later... Unfortunatly, we cannot do anything about that, as once the payment is accepted, eveything is done by the CC companies.
I think that, as long as you let your credit/debit card company know, beforehand, of the possibility of buying from a foriegn location, that there shouldn't be any problems. I recall that, while in Spain, most people on the tour had their credit/debit card blocked because they failed to notify their bank prior to departure from the US that they would be travelling to a foriegn company. Blocking seems like a standard procedure for most banks.
Qft. But usually, one phone call is the solution to all your problems.

Something interesting to know too. You can register your card to the 3D Secure System (it's free and you can do it from the HP of your CC company), that will give you a new password, renforcing the security of your online payment. The question is: has this new password any relationship with the fact that your bank blocks the CC? Don't have the answer yet, but I anyway advice anybody to register.

Regarding the IMPO, we accept it without problem on our online-shop, but actually don't for the Auctions (the system is different). This is something we may have to think about in the future if this kind of problems persist.

--
Nicolas
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Speaking for Bank of America alone, their new policy is that they create an online profile for you. When I registered for this BWA, I was prompted to create a profile. BofA asks questions concerning the card's registration, your name, etc. In the past, I never had to deal with this additional procedure from Bank of America, so, this must be something new.

Thanks for clearing up the question concerning the IPMO, Nicolas. Seeing how this verification is rather new(well, since the last BWA), Mandarake may begin to see a bumper-crop of foriegn bidders with payment problems due to credit/debit card companies blocking them. This may, or may not, greatly hamper foriegn customers from buying goods via the auction portion of your site. And, as the credit card is a popular way of paying for goods in the US, if these companies continue to block, it may also eliminate a good portion of the foriegn clientele.

Please keep up posted.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Even though foriegn competition at Mandarake will be at a reduced capacity as long as credit/debit card companies continue these transactions, the competition will go elsewhere...namely, Yahoo Japan. So, instead of enjoying all those comission-free everyday auctions(and minimal comission on BWA items), most users will be forced to go through a deputy service.

Or find a friend who doesn't mind bidding on items for them.

I would suspect that, if the policy doesn't change on either end, that deputy services will become more popular as they allow people to use their credit cards to pay for items.

Who knows...deputies may begin to bid at Mandarake for us...
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

So what is the sign that your payment is not going through?

You go to "My Page", then the "Payment" page to make your payment, click the Payment button and Mandarake's website says your card wasn't accepted?

If you click the Payment button and it says this:

"Thank you for joining in the Mandarake Web Auction.

If you have requested shipping your winning item(s), your package will arrive at you place within a week.
If you have requested receiving your winning item(s) at our Nakano store, please visit a shop from which you have won your auction item(s) to receive your item(s)."

...it's okay?

Or did you find out later that your payment didn't go through?
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

If your CC payment does not go through, you usually get a second screen and message that states that your payment was not accepted.

I only had this happen when one of my CC's switched to the verified by VISA program. The secondary verification screen causes problems with Mandarake's credit authorization charging.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Lynxa
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: The Post Katrina Big Easy, Not quite as big but still just as easy.

Post by Lynxa »

With me when it didn't go through it just reloaded the page I was on (the credit card page) but if I clicked on the "edit credit card information" it said something like, "There was a problem with your credit card information, please re-enter or call your bank to make sure there is not something blocking payment." In red letters above where you enter the credit card info.
Chzbrgr of Doom Better than the show at this point.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

I got those red letters at the top as well, when my payment was not accepted.

I did receive that Verified by VISA program screen as well, what the
heck is that anyway? I've never seen that before and it worried/annoyed me.

I didn't join it, of course since I had no freakin' clue what it was. Did anyone
else receive that screen? Did anyone join? Is there any point in joining?

I'd join if it guaranteed my transactions going thru with Mandarake, but
somehow I didn't think it would help/matter.