Paying for Mandarake Auctions? UPDATE AGAIN!

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

I don't know WC, that sounds a little spoofy to me.

As for credit cards, I've paid Mandarake with several different credit cards, including my debit card, and have had no problems with them going through. I've used both my Visa and Mastercard, so I don't think it is limited to a brand of credit card, but maybe the company that issued it.

I'm sorry I can't be of further help other than what I've stated above, but I just don't see how the problem can be with a type of card (Visa, MC, etc.) when I've used at least 4 different cards with no problems going through for payment.

Edit: OK forgive me, I totally missed one whole page of this discussion and realized it was about banks now LOL. I have one issued by BoA (Bank of America), Chase, Citi and another, I can't remember, but none have had any problems with going through with Mandarake. I hope I didn't jinx myself though. :X
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

rallihir wrote:I only had this happen when one of my CC's switched to the verified by VISA program. The secondary verification screen causes problems with Mandarake's credit authorization charging.
SME, this is what I'm refering to. When I tried to pay for my Mandy auction,
a screen came up that asked me to enroll in this "Verified by VISA" program.
I have no idea what it is exactly, since I'd never see it before. But when
Rallihir mentioned it, I assumed maybe others received the same message
when they tried paying with VISA cards.

I still don't know what it is or what it does. I didn't enroll, but would love to
know exactly what's up with that prompt. Anyone know?
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
RalphVboy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RalphVboy »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:SME, this is what I'm refering to. When I tried to pay for my Mandy auction,

I still don't know what it is or what it does. I didn't enroll, but would love to
The "Verified by VISA" is a legit prompt. By enrolling in it you create 1 more password that needs to be entered in order to complete a transaction with your VISA card. I usually pay my Mandarake Auction wins with a BoA issued VISA card and always go through the whole "Verified by VISA" deal. When doing this I have never had a payment NOT go through to Mandarake. Plus it's 1 more password that an Identity Thief would need to be able to use my card online lol :P

Hope this helps a little ^_^

- RalphVboy
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Thanks so much Ralphy!

I figured it was legit, but didn't know if there were hidden fees or something.
Later I thought that enrolling might've helped my payment go thru, but
wanted to get some second opinions on this service first.

First time I've had a problem paying Mandy, so I might enroll in this program.

Thanks again Ralph :friends:
Mandarake

Post by Mandarake »

RalphVboy wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:SME, this is what I'm refering to. When I tried to pay for my Mandy auction,

The "Verified by VISA" is a legit prompt. By enrolling in it you create 1 more password that needs to be entered in order to complete a transaction with your VISA card. I usually pay my Mandarake Auction wins with a BoA issued VISA card and always go through the whole "Verified by VISA" deal. When doing this I have never had a payment NOT go through to Mandarake. Plus it's 1 more password that an Identity Thief would need to be able to use my card online lol :P

Hope this helps a little ^_^

- RalphVboy
Yes indeed, it's a new Securised system, the 3D Secure system. I thought you were supposed to register to get this new password, but it seems some cards are automatically (without any notice to their owner) linked to that. Kinda strange.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Just a little update on the "Verified by Visa" issue -

This morning I decided to pay for my items via my BofA VISA card. I had earlier indicated to my bank that I was going to purchase items on Mandarake so that the card would not be blocked. I figured everything would be peachy, enterred by 'verified by visa' password and figured that, since the transaction amount was less than my daily spending limit, everything should be ok.

Haha.

The transaction did not process. So I called the lovely people at my bank's visa department. Apparentely, even if I had notified the company that I intended to purchase an item at this company, the system will initially block the payment as it is originating in a foriegn company. A representative has to manually go in and punch a few buttons in order to reset your card and allow the Mandarake transaction to go through. After that, I was sucessful in my payment and both Mandarake and my bank appear to have recorded this payment made.

Judging by what I was told during this call, it sounds like it is very important for you to know your 1 day spending limit on your card(if any) before you plan to bid. For example, if you had your heart set on the BWA Totoro cel w/ BG(which ended around 15K), you had better make sure that your one day spending limit can handle that price tag.

...Amazing what they never teach you in school, isn't it?
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Lol... If you can afford a 15k Cel...

I'm sure your credit cards have no limit.... but you'll definitely still have to tell your card company.

"Hello... I'm purchasing a used piece of plastic that some body scribbled on and don't want anymore."

" Are you sure, your ok, mr. Smith?"

"Yes, go ahead and send the 15,000"

" But first you have to fill out some papers for purchasing over 10,000"

" You don't understand! Hurry Send the money or they may cancel my bid!"

" But the IRS wants to know."

" Please send the money!!!"
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

my thoughts on all of this verified by VISA thing.....

The idea is good, it's supposed to give protection to both the stores and the customers, but being honest, right now it only protects the stores, and it will be like that until the use of this verified by VISA is mandatory everywhere.

Why is it good for stores? Because they make sure all the purchases are made by the legit owner of the credit card. If they enforce the use of the verified by visa in all their transactions they can avoid problems with stolen cards.....

Why is it supposed to be good to customers? Because it makes sure that the CC number by itself is not enough to make a purchase. What means that if your card is stolen nobody can make purchases before you have time to cancel the card..... But as i say, until the use of this verified by visa isn't mandatory everywhere the protection for the customer is nothing because an stolen card can still be used in many places.

How does the Verified by VISA thing work? Well, like some people have stated before, it all depends on the company/bank that you have contracted the card with..... First of all, they need to support the Verified by VISA process, and the verification method is placed by the company itself.... so the method of each company can be good/secure or bad.

Examples of methods of Verified by VISA that i know:

1- A page asks you to enter the 3 digit secure code of yoru card. Pretty simple, but pretty useless. It's the one that my bank uses now. It's useless because if your card is stolen the code is written on the back of the card.... And also many places like paypal require you to enter this 3 digit code, so it's pourpose is completely lost.

2- A page asks for your secret number/password. This seems the most logical to use. Don't know why my banc doesn't use it. -_-

3- A modification of the previous one that my bank used some time ago... It was super secure, but extremely annoying..... A page tells you that they are sending a message to the cell phone that you have registered. When you receive the call you have to reply the message with the secret number/password if you want to approve the purchase..... As i say, pretty secure but very annoying, for me for example as i don't have a cell phone.... I guess many people complained and they changed it to the first method which is useless -_-

mmm, i guess that when electronic signatures are spread around the world online purchases may become secure..... who knows for how much time.... :P
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

RoboFlonne wrote:Lol... If you can afford a 15k Cel...

I'm sure your credit cards have no limit.... but you'll definitely still have to tell your card company.

"Hello... I'm purchasing a used piece of plastic that some body scribbled on and don't want anymore."

" Are you sure, your ok, mr. Smith?"

"Yes, go ahead and send the 15,000"

" But first you have to fill out some papers for purchasing over 10,000"

" You don't understand! Hurry Send the money or they may cancel my bid!"

" But the IRS wants to know."

" Please send the money!!!"
You forgot to add the part when Mr. Smith happily tells his coworkers that he didn't lose his Vegas money at the slots, but on an 'ubber kawaii' cel of Totoro :)

While I appreciate VISA's vigilence with online transactions, it appears that it's going to make every foriegn transaction(unsure if the Verification portion is just for foriegn transactions..) just that much more complicated. But if the alternative is Jose in Spain buying himself more Gheri curl cream because he compromised my card number, then I'm all for the additional security measures.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Ha! Visa!

In the future I bet there won't even be Monopoly Money!

There will be only VISA Monopoly Cards!

Then I wonder if we'll have all this verification for Visa Monopoly Cards?
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

RoboFlonne wrote:In the future I bet there won't even be Monopoly Money!
Correct
Lynxa
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: The Post Katrina Big Easy, Not quite as big but still just as easy.

Post by Lynxa »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
RoboFlonne wrote:In the future I bet there won't even be Monopoly Money!
Correct
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!! Say it ain't so!!!!!! :bawl: That's a TRAVESTY!!!
Chzbrgr of Doom Better than the show at this point.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

I know, right? I'm clinging to my Nintendo Edition Monopoly forever!

The colorful money was a long time staple of the game. Can't believe
they are changing it. But with the decline in popularity of board games
in general, I can kind of understand their reasoning. Evolve with the times
or get left behind.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

But with the decline in popularity of board games
in general, I can kind of understand their reasoning. Evolve with the times
or get left behind.
Or more like... Take Visa's "Sponsorship" donation of Millions of dollars or don't take Visa's money.

Now there's going to be a generation of kids who have VISA ingrained into their heritage!

Lol...
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Yes, because the Nintendo Edition I just mentioned, along with the Star Wars,
Disney and Spongebob Square Pants Editions were lucrative for Parker Brothers.
And let's not forget the wildly popular McDonald's Monopoly game. The heritage
was usurped long ago by commericalism. If Park Bros. wants to survive, they
will have to continue to incorporate sponsorships as they've done for years.
That, or risk being considered "uncool" and "out of touch."