3 Sailor Moon hanken cels

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

3 Sailor Moon hanken cels

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Anyone going for the 3 SM hanken cels in Mandy's Everyday Auctions?

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 6340100021

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 7360100001

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 7370100001

I think I'll go for the Chibi Moon hanken. :)
Last edited by ReiTheJelly on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Not me, but if I were a SM collector, I'd be watching them for sure. They are super pretty, especially the Chibi Chibi with the correction paddle or whatever it is.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

What exactly is a "cel for hanken"? And what's up with those x's and o's on Chibi-Chibi's face? Are these like rough drafts for the final product? The art looks a little weird to me. And those starting bids seem kind of low for real SM hankens. "Real" as in "final product used for something."
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
iwakuralain16
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by iwakuralain16 »

They look old, and two of those hankens have the star in the top right corner. I thought Sailor Moon hankens have that star on them. I Think they are authentic... but I am not expert. haha
Hana
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Hana »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:And what's up with those x's and o's on Chibi-Chibi's face?
It's for hanetsuki, a traditional Japanese new year's game. It's like badminton, but if you miss the shuttlecock you often get a mark drawn on your face.

More info here. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2261.html
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:What exactly is a "cel for hanken"?
Doesn't the term 'hanken' simply mean 'copyright' - in this case, referring to the copyright aspect of the character images? It's probably safe to assume that a "cel for hanken" is the same thing as a hanken cel. However, since there were countless authentic hankens which, for one reason or another, were never used at all, it couldn't hurt for interested collectors to email Mandy with questions about the two that are unidentified. I am certain, though, that not all hanken monos are consistent in style or quality; it depends on what they were intended for.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

These are the real thing.

Every Sailormoon hanken that I've seen has been done on acetate, and most of those do have the three holes at the top as if the acetate was designed to be used for the animation instead.

Now, as for the artwork and why the first two don't look similiar to the art style used in the show.

Most products issued in Japan featured a style similiar to the Chibimoon hanken. This type of artwork was generally used for Sailormoon books(written in hiragana, they were aimed towards younger fans and were similiar to "Goldenbooks" stories that are aimed towards 3-6 year olds in the US). The artwork was also featured on paper dolls, coloring books, "Memory" games, and, in short, things that were panned to the younger fans.

Sailormoon Hankens can range in price. Ocassionally there is a YJ seller that releases some from his collection. Those hankens generally ended around 7500-10000 yen. However, Mandarake being what it is, I would expect that these hankens would likely end higher.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Hana wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:And what's up with those x's and o's on Chibi-Chibi's face?
It's for hanetsuki, a traditional Japanese new year's game. It's like badminton, but if you miss the shuttlecock you often get a mark drawn on your face.

More info here. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2261.html
That's really interesting! I never knew that. I honestly thought those were mistakes or something, hehe.
Moop wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:What exactly is a "cel for hanken"?
Doesn't the term 'hanken' simply mean 'copyright' - in this case, referring to the copyright aspect of the character images? It's probably safe to assume that a "cel for hanken" is the same thing as a hanken cel. However, since there were countless authentic hankens which, for one reason or another, were never used at all, it couldn't hurt for interested collectors to email Mandy with questions about the two that are unidentified. I am certain, though, that not all hanken monos are consistent in style or quality; it depends on what they were intended for.
Ah, I suppose that does make sense. Good to know.
cutiebunny wrote:These are the real thing.
Guess so, but I still think the art is weird looking. Especially since Chibi Chibi's body is cut off. $50 for any authentic hanken seems incredibly low, especially for something as popular as SM.

Either way, good luck to anyone who bids.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
sailorsv13

Post by sailorsv13 »

were panned to the younger fans.
Ah...this must be why I haven't seen an SM hanken that I like! I've always wondered why they don't make them look as gorgeous as some of the movie cels, the way AMG hankens tend to be. Thanks for the info!

~ Bri ~
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

They look kinda funny to me :)
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Here's an example of what I mean -

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-8/4 ... ebook1.jpg

and

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-8/4 ... ebook2.jpg

This book features episode 144, "Kirameku Natsu no Hi! Shiokaze no Shoujo Ami" (Sparkling Summer Days! Ami, the Girl of the Sea Breeze). As you can see, the artwork is the same style as the Chibimoon hanken.

There were higher quality hankens produced. Most of the artwork used for the prism cards for the Amada PP, Hero Collections and all cards in the Graffiti 8-10 sets were all original patterns not featured in any other set. In addition, most of the artwork featured on the promotional Morinaga/Nissui cards and Banpresto/Jumbo Carddass were also original patterns as well. However, most of these hankens are likely locked away in private Japanese collections(or Mandarake...).
sailorsv13

Post by sailorsv13 »

This post is funny right after you updated with that new hanken of yours cutiebunny. I really like the new chibi-usa hanken as opposed to the childish looking ones ^.^ That is one of the few SM hankens that I have seen that I admired of course aside from Luna Art's hanken collection 0.0

~ Bri ~
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I added the Sailormoon hankens that I recently received due to a request from another fellow RS Sailormoon hanken collector, kittyfire. She's on a mission to find where her hankens were used and was really sweet to offer to find where mine where used as well.

Thanks for the compliment on the hankens. I'd love to find some more, but, it's likely that the images I'd want to purchase would go well beyond my limit.