Legitimate question about mandarake

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
Cjmixers

Legitimate question about mandarake

Post by Cjmixers »

I just wanted to ask. How does mandarake get their items? Do people bring them in and its like an antique roadshow thing, where they auction off people's items, or do they send people out to get the goods through-out Japan?
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

When you have a retail store people just walk in and ask if you will buy things, pretty amazing, but it must contribute a large portion of what they sell.
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

In the case of the massive amount of settei they have, I would think that it is more than likely that, once a show is done, that several of its animators sell these settei to Mandarake. Mandarake gives them a pittance(which, the artists probably don't mind since they don't have the room to keep all the stuff they've acquired through their years of work) and Mandarake resells these items to the consumer.

I don't think Mandarake, or any other store, exactly publishes how they obtain items since it's likely a business secret. But I would think that they've obtainned many of their items directly from the studio. With the explosion of Yahoo Japan, it's unlikely that people go to Mandarake to directly sell items to them when it is more profitable to sell items on Yahoo Japan.
Golden Boy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Golden Boy »

When Mandarake had a shop in Los Angeles, I was able to sell them a cel. They will take pretty much anything anime-related that is salable. I'm sure they have their inside sources with the studios. I'm just glad they sell their goods at the unadjusted yen exchange rate despite the 10% commission they add on with BWA items.

gb :wink:
Cjmixers

Post by Cjmixers »

[quote]It's actually magic! All the goodies just poof and appear! They are so successful that they have many many stores! [/quote]

haha I didnt mean it like that. :P

Because I always see their auctions and some of the wonderful high end cels they have are really low prices (ie: princess mononoke)
even from the same scene there will be a huge price difference in a cel, either low or high.
I used to figure well, some one brought in a cel and wanted x amount for it, and usually figured it was like an auction house.

but, thank you all, for the input especially cutiebunny
:D