Am I seeing double? YYH Mukuro auction o_O

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
RalphVboy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Am I seeing double? YYH Mukuro auction o_O

Post by RalphVboy »

I was browsing Mandarake earlier today and saw this Mukuro cel:

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 4630600679

It looked familiar so I went to view the Yahoo Japan auctions of YuYu Hakusho cels and came across this:

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w5757508

On the YJ auction it looks like that cel is an A1-end, right? Also the colors look a bit different to me on each cel. I've dealt extensively with both Minami_angel and Mandarake and both have proven to be very reliable sellers. What do y'all think?

- RalphVBoy
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I don't see the sequence numbers on the Mandy auction so maybe they're just different sequences. I'm sure you know how some sequence mates will show up all at once on various dealer sites and auctions. :shrug
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

redwolf

Re: Am I seeing double? YYH Mukuro auction o_O

Post by redwolf »

Just because a cel is A1end, doesn't mean nothing else was ever done for that scene... They might redo cels to fix mistakes like color, etc (in this case, the hair shadows of the YJ cel aren't dark enough to match the skin shadows). I'd imagine it's also possible that animators decide to do a cut a different way... like a multiple cel cut instead of a single A1e (or vice versa). I notice both cels have the same 138 (13B? Background?) number, and the Mandarake looks like it is an A3. I trust both of these sellers too. I'll bet the Mandarake one is the one that was filmed, because of the shadows and the background.
RalphVboy

Post by RalphVboy »

If you click on the "Show Photo No.2" link on the Mandarake auction, you'll see the cel sans the background. It has the same cut # as the YJ auction, but the YJ auction looked like it was an A1-end. The Mandarake one looks like an A3 or A5 from the picture. I was just curious because they looked very similar and I thought the YJ one claimed it was an A1-end.

You're probably right though, GK. It's probably a sequence mate and I'm just looking too hard into it :P

EDIT: was typing when redwolf chimed in X| That makes some sense too, I just wonder why the animators would opt from making a scene A1-end to a multi cel'd sequence. I also don't know if the BG is matching because the cut # for the BG is 250 & 269, not 138 (or 13B).

Now that I'm looking at the YJ cel closer, it may just be A17 End (which would make feel like a real idiot LOL X| ). Ah well, both those auction confuzzled me for a bit but like I said earlier I'm probably just looking too hard into it. Like redwolf said, both these sellers are very good and dependable, I just was curious what others thought :)

- RalphVBoy
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I have two cels that are A1-END cels and I've later seen another A1-END cel for each of them.

I don't know why that is, but whatever. Someone out there has almost the identical two A1-END cels that I have. lol :D
Kagejin
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Kagejin »

They are different. Manda looks like A3 and YJ A1. The hair and border lines on the top of the hair are different. Maybe they needed a still shot in a scene and used part of another sequence??? Would be the easiest thing to do.
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

Now that I'm looking at the YJ cel closer, it may just be A17 End
Lol, I think you might be right. Though it could be A1e, A17e, A13e, A11e, or A0e. Man, animators have bad handwriting. :D

I wish I knew what the 13B was for (I'm sure it's 13B now, after re-comparing both cels)...
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Bonks self on head after realizing the A-1End. :rollin Can you tell I've been up late grading? :rollin Sigh.....this is a true puzzle. Ignore my previous post. :nuts
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I'm thinking the End cel is only 1 of the 2 layers. :wink: So I don't think it reads A1 end. Also, the one on YJ has paint missing from the tips of his hair. The Mandarake one doesn't. It looks like two different cels from the same sequence to me. :wink:

Just a thought. Could he be standing almost exactly the same way in more than one episode? I've seen cels that I would swear they were sequence mates until I realized that he stands that way a lot. :^^:

Here's some more double vision for you.

Sesshomaru

Sesshomaru again

Both auctions properties of the pictures are identical. I wonder if they are both kosher auctions? :?
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

duotrouble wrote:Sesshomaru

Sesshomaru again

Both auctions properties of the pictures are identical. I wonder if they are both kosher auctions? :?
Notice how the Ebay one ends before the YJ one? The Ebay seller doesn't have the cel, but will bid on it on YJ if someone buys the cel on Ebay. I've seen the same thing happen before. :x

As for the YYH on YJ and Mandy, they're different cels. It took me a while to find the difference, but check out his hair above his ear. There's where you can see the changes. Anyway, I'd say that they're both legit due to the cut number. If you look at the 138 on both cels, it looks almost identical. Obviously the same person wrote both numbers, so the two cels are sequence mates. Who would go to all the trouble of making a fake cel with a sequence number drawn exactly the same way and yet mess up on the actual drawing and painting of the cel? At first glance the one on YJ looks like it says A1e, but I can see a 17 if I look closely enough.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

duotrouble wrote:
Here's some more double vision for you.

Sesshomaru

Sesshomaru again

This seller came up before...me thinks
All the current auctions are currently up on YJ.

Seiya

Seiya Again

Zeta Robe

Zeta Robe Again

Game Boy Advance Char

Game Boy Advance Char AGAIN
iwakuralain16

Post by iwakuralain16 »

duotrouble wrote: Here's some more double vision for you.

Sesshomaru

Sesshomaru again

I sent this seller a message that stated the following:
Hello
What if someone outbids your $680 bid on Yahoo Japan?

Thank you

their reply:
first, it will never happen, this price is not coming from just guessing, from marketing. If in case it happens, I let you know, so you will not lose even penny, but it will never happen from this price, that's why we make this price
thanks for your interests

I kinda feel like an asshole now. >_>
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

iwakuralain16 wrote:I kinda feel like an asshole now. >_>
Why should you? What they're doing is obviously somewhat shady. The YJ one isn't going to go up to $680, anyway. If it does, the ebay seller certainly won't bid on it. Ebay guy's in this to make a quick profit by taking advantage of people who don't know about or can't bid on YJ. He's not going to go in the hole to make sure you get the cel.

I would just ignore it, though. Contacting either seller doesn't seem to do anything. In the past, I contacted a different seller on YJ whose pic was being used in this same way, and all he/she said was that it might be a different sequence number. You just have to be wary and make sure that you don't overpay for a cel on Ebay when the same auction is going on on YJ. The one that ends last is usually the legit one. You'd probably get the cel either way, but you might as well get it for cheaper, ne?
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I imagine that eBay would take offense to this practice and ban the seller.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

ReiTheJelly wrote:I imagine that eBay would take offense to this practice and ban the seller.

Yes, but it might be a bit difficult to prove to someone who doesn't know much about animation production that Ebay seller is selling stuff he doesn't have. Besides, I don't know if they would care as long as the buyer gets the merchandise. :(