Someone Please Explain

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
Hisoka
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Someone Please Explain

Post by Hisoka »

So there is this awesome City Hunter cel that ended on Mandarake just moments ago. It was my first time bidding on anything from there. So I though I was all signed up properly and such, placed my bid for well over what the action ended at and NOTHING! Even if I was outbid the current price should reflect that... So it looks like by bid (I tried twice) didn't even go in. I'm damn near $200 richer but you guys all know, that's not the point. I'd rather have the cel. :(

What the hell did I do wrong? This is worse than a loss since it's likely if I didn't run into this problem that the cel would have been mine. *sigh*
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

It's hard to tell what went wrong with so little information. Are you registered properly ? Did you login before bidding ? Did you type the correct number and clicked the box ?
Did you check that the item went to your "my auctions" page ? When you are the current highest bidder, your auction should appear in that page along with a message saying you are currently winning.
Hisoka
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Hisoka »

Yeah, it's hard to explain. I signed up about a year ago so I have no idea if I did everything right. I see that all my info like address, credit card info and so on are there. When I bid, I was fully logged in, put the yen amount in correctly and pressed the bid button. I just checked to see if the auction was in "my auction" and it showed up but says "This item has been outbidded by other bidder" which is what I kept seeing as I tried to bid. So I'm really confused. Under bid is says 0 JPY so it doesn't look like my bid even went through.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I would expect that there may have been a reserve that your bid did not meet. That would be why it showed no bid.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Hisoka
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Hisoka »

I doubt it since the auction started at 2,500 yen and ended at 13,900 yen. So obviously other bids went through for the past few days. It remains a mystery. *shrugs*
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

When someone outbits me (or keep outbidding me) then I get the same messages..... and it ended showing 0yen. But it seems that you bid much higher than it ended up.... Maybe you might want to call them? They are really helpful......
Cats rule!
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Did you get a pop-up that asked you if you were sure you wanted to bid?
Your bid doesn’t go through until after you confirm it.
Hisoka
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Hisoka »

GuyvarIII wrote:Did you get a pop-up that asked you if you were sure you wanted to bid?
Damn, that might explain it. I'm using Firefox so maybe the pop up was blocked without me ever knowing. I didn't see anything like that. Well thanks for the info.
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

Just try and place a bid on another auction (find one that you are sure to still lose when you place a bid slightly higher than the current price). That would be good practice.
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Hisoka wrote:
GuyvarIII wrote:Did you get a pop-up that asked you if you were sure you wanted to bid?
Damn, that might explain it. I'm using Firefox so maybe the pop up was blocked without me ever knowing. I didn't see anything like that. Well thanks for the info.
I use firefox and never had any issues in the past when I place bids on Mandarake. :shrug
JWR

Post by JWR »

There are also some YJ auctions that will block Deputy services from bidding if you are using one.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

Hisoka wrote:Damn, that might explain it. I'm using Firefox so maybe the pop up was blocked without me ever knowing. I didn't see anything like that. Well thanks for the info.
Here's what it looks like (on IE):
(I blocked out the item name and price; so I don't ruin anyone's bidding mojo. :) )

JWR is right, there's lots of odd stuff on YJ, but this is all I can think of that might happen with Mandarake. :shrug
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

I'm not sure what it could have been. I have used Firefox for years and never have had any problems.

Its possible that there were too many bids right at the end of the auction. If the site gets too busy, the system will only let people raise their bids and not allow new people place any. Here is what the website says.
If before the end of some bid (about one hour), the access would become too hard, there could be some case when only supplementary bids may be accepted.
Thank you for your comprehension.

It's usually a good idea in Manarake auctions to place a marker bid early. That way you can get in on the last minute bidding if it gets busy.
Hisoka
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Hisoka »

Thanks for the advice everyone. GuyvarIII, I didn't see that pop up at and just tested it using IE and it worked. You live and learn.