Asking about sets?

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Asking about sets?

Post by klet »

So, how many of you guys have had any luck asking Mandarake about huge genga/douga sets? There's something up that I'm considering bidding on, but I'm not sure about the quality of the rest of the set . . .

What are the best questions to ask?
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

The only thing I ever bid on at Mandarake is HnG
sets of Sai. I will email them and ask them how
many pages of Sai there is, and they always come
back and tell me the amounts. Unfortunately, they
then post the info on the auction page. X|
Carla
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Carla »

I would ask the total number of sketch's and how many are:

Layouts

Gengas

Rough Draft Sketch's

That way you have a better idea of what you will be getting!!! :)

I think I would also ask if he/she could tell me more of the characters that are in the pile??? That may help make your decision easier??? Good Luck!!! :jump
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

Check the original Japanese version of the site, I have noticed that sometimes it will display it there but the people working on the english version forget to add the info :roll:

I have bought a few genga sets and the quality is good, mandrake doesn't do a very good job in picking the preview pics as I have found that the sketches not shown sometimes are better then the ones displayed.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I've had great luck with sets off Mandarake. I have to agree that I don't think they pick the "greatest" of images for their preview shots. I once won an auction for 2 sets of sketches. When it arrived to me, it was actually for 5 sets. They only displayed 2 but said there were more sketches too. I was shocked and happy when I received the "extra" sets as they were better than what I won. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Re: Asking about sets?

Post by RoboFlonne »

klet wrote:So, how many of you guys have had any luck asking Mandarake about huge genga/douga sets? There's something up that I'm considering bidding on, but I'm not sure about the quality of the rest of the set . . .

What are the best questions to ask?
I usually ask for what characters are in them! Most of the times I buy sets to try to collect certain characters!

Maybe if you ask in japanese, they won't update in english?? :vict
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Asking about sets?

Post by klet »

Okay, thanks. :D I just wasn't sure if they would actually answer. X|

I checked the Japanese auction and it said the same thing--total sheets and types included.
RoboFlonne wrote:Maybe if you ask in japanese, they won't update in english??
Hmmm, that might not be such a bad idea. Especially considering how, the last time I bought from this show, my biggest opponent was using Celga.

If I decide to bid and win, I'll let you guys know. :)
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

Out of curiosity, you weren't talking about this one, were you?
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 8660100042

Regardless, did they answer your question? I normally just ask about characters, and it's a crapshoot whether they answer or not. :(
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

redwolf wrote:Out of curiosity, you weren't talking about this one, were you?
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 8660100042

Regardless, did they answer your question? I normally just ask about characters, and it's a crapshoot whether they answer or not. :(
Wow that went for alot... lots like those are like a lottery... even if they answer you it's still a long shot on knowing what's inside.

Just by those pictures... I'm surprised it went so high!!
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Yep, that's the one, Redwolf. I hope that wasn't you I was bidding against (and if it was, are you looking to sell any??? :P :wink: ). X| Yep, they did answer my question. I asked in Japanese, they answered in English--it was really rather amusing. :D Oh, and fyi, the Edo sets up right now are all copies; you could probably tell, but I asked just in case.

RF, it went so high because of a bidding war. X| Myself and one other person went at it for about 20 minutes--I lost. :l But, oh well. Plus, it's really hard to find any OP art. :( Considering the fact that there was 164 sheets . . . that's probably less than $5 a sheet . . . but still, I'm a student, so I can't spend all that much in one sitting, and I don't want to get into debt over a hobby. :wink:
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

klet wrote:Yep, that's the one, Redwolf. I hope that wasn't you I was bidding against (and if it was, are you looking to sell any??? :P :wink: ). X| Yep, they did answer my question. I asked in Japanese, they answered in English--it was really rather amusing. :D Oh, and fyi, the Edo sets up right now are all copies; you could probably tell, but I asked just in case.

RF, it went so high because of a bidding war. X| Myself and one other person went at it for about 20 minutes--I lost. :l But, oh well. Plus, it's really hard to find any OP art. :( Considering the fact that there was 164 sheets . . . that's probably less than $5 a sheet . . . but still, I'm a student, so I can't spend all that much in one sitting, and I don't want to get into debt over a hobby. :wink:
Ohh it's for a commercial... Can someone find the commercial on youtube for me? /ok

I guess if it's for a commercial then there has to be some nice shots in there!! If not... then you have really bad luck.. lol

p.s. If you really wanted to win that... Redwolf may have wanted to split it with you... I've split several auctions with Redwolf and has never been happier! :vict
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

klet wrote:Yep, that's the one, Redwolf. I hope that wasn't you I was bidding against
Yes and no... I only placed three bids and then bowed out when I saw the auction had already soared passed my last bid to go driving around for Ratatouille DVD freebies. The frustrating thing for me was that I bid on this auction before and it only ended at around 17,500 or so.
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 8660100040
The original winner must not have paid. For me, a lot of pretty expensive things had popped up at the same time, Simoun before it became so common on YJ, and a One Piece TV auction, which I also lost. I lost the TV One Piece auction to a YJ reseller who split up the set...so who knows; keep an eye on YJ. Unfortunately for me, the part of that set I wanted ended for more than the original auction price.

Otherwise, I don't feel too bad about this auction; If I have to spend over a certain amount, I'd rather own artwork from the TV than commercials. What I really regret is not winning more auctions before the black hole celga user came along (they've won virtually every One Piece auction on YJ for well over a year now, and they don't appear to have a pretty online gallery for me to ogle :( ). It's looking more and more like my One Piece collection is permanantly halted unless I pull out the big bucks (that I don't have X| ) For such a massive series, it's incredibly disappointing to see so little pop up, and now to see the prices skyrocket beyond my range.
Yep, they did answer my question. I asked in Japanese, they answered in English--it was really rather amusing. :D Oh, and fyi, the Edo sets up right now are all copies; you could probably tell, but I asked just in case.
Yes, the clues are the gray marks underneath some of the sheets, as well as the green sheet on the third image which appears to be a color copy on white paper.
RoboFlonne wrote:p.s. If you really wanted to win that... Redwolf may have wanted to split it with you... I've split several auctions with Redwolf and has never been happier! :vict
I'd definitely be game to trying to split auctions in the future. Though, it works best with sets with a lot of different cuts, and I have no idea what the case was here. Layout sets are easier, since each is its own cut. Unfortunately, I've never seen that type of auction for One Piece.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Well, one of the more recent YJ OP auctions went to me and a friend of mine (I'll ask her if she minds being named). It was the set of stuff from Water 7. I need to scan it and get it up in my gallery . . . it'll be there eventually. X| :D I beat out the Celga bidder on that one . . . but it cost me. X| Both of us who got the artwork have online galleries, though, so you'll be able to oogle. :wink:

I'd be more than happy to split sets in the future. :D There's someone else that I have been discussing OP auctions with, but she's good about sharing, too. I'm always up for asking sellers questions, too, and trying to get them to ship internationally. Unfortunately, while I can usually convince YJ sellers to ship internationally, I can't bid more than 4,999 yen with my account because YJ no longer accepts non-Japanese credit cards to pay fees. :(

That is really frustrating that the auction went for so much higher this time around . . . I think that was probably my fault. X| Well, mine and the other bidder's. :emb Maybe they won't pay again and it will go up for auction again! :P Then maybe it will go for 10,000 yen . . . or less. :D