Someone, Please Clue Me In!

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
SqueakyGate
Otaku - Fanatic

Someone, Please Clue Me In!

Post by SqueakyGate »

I’m a fan of Rahxephon, but don’t really understand the current auction amount on this lot. I get that 21 sheets is a lot to receive for this series, but the three pictures posted by Mandarake don’t look $300 + worthy to me. I’m assuming most of the pages are variations on a few images.

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 6790100013

Questions…
What do the bidders know that I don’t? did they request additional pix? Will Mandarake even do this?

Does Mandarake normally post the best pictures of any given lot? –as in the best cut scenes in a movie trailer marketing method.

What am I missing here? Please throw me a lifeline in my personal pool of confusion… /hmm
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I have not heard of Mandy ever sending aditional scans when asked.

I would assume that due to the rarity of Rah-Xephon sketches may well be the reason these are currently at that price. I would expect that whoever bid is hoping the additional not shown sketckes are of simular quality and worth the bid.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

I would expect that whoever bid is hoping the additional not shown sketckes are of simular quality and worth the bid.
That is what anyone typically hopes when bidding in auctions like those. It is just a 50/50 chance that the other sketches not shown will be worthwhile.

From experience from winning sketch lots on Mandarake, they ended up being worthwhile. But, that was from a completely other series. So I don't know how things are for this series.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Maybe I should put my RahXephon auctions on Mandarake instead of Ebay...I can't get a single bid on them there!

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

That is a pretty nice shot of Quon... Image

Maybe someone really likes Quon?? Image

If There was a Mishima of like quality... Then! That would be a different story! Image
SqueakyGate
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by SqueakyGate »

thanks for the responses!

so I understand now that it's basically a crap shoot on all auction lots.

I’ve purchased lots from Mandarake in the past and have been pleased, but never assumed that the images in the rest of the lot were going to be better than those shown. And they haven't been- usually the same type and quality or multiple pages of limited # of scenes. I have yet to be disappointed.

I guess that's why I was a little surprised by the price. Maybe it's a bidding war between two devoted Quon lovers as suggested.

It may come down to perception of value. I just have a low $ risk threshold on sales where I don’t know exactly what I’m getting-- hoping that the rest are just as good or better. $300+ is a notable amount for me, but insignificant to someone else who finds more than that regularly under their couch cushions.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Well, $300 for 21 sheets is about $15 a sheet--I've paid more than that for One Piece art. What you have to wonder about is how many cuts the lot contains.

I asked Mandy about the number of cuts in a lot before, and they said that they didn't know. Fortunately, it was a rough genga lot I was bidding on, and I knew from experience that rough genga from this particular series usually had 1-3 sheets, most of them having one. So, for someone like me who doesn't know what to do with huge cuts, that's the best kind of lot.

They did, however, answer my question about which characters were represented in the lot.