Summer Mandarake BWA - Start July 9th

Auctions on MSN and Mandarake
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Goldknight wrote:This auction is every DBZ lovers dream. I can't believe all the eye candy. :drool I can see quite a few of those suckers going high.
I know exactly what you mean! :drool
That pan Ryouga is so nice as well. I hope an RS or AB member manages to snatch him up. :love:
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Yup nothing for me either this time, maybe oneday in a time far far away they might put a NS cel or two up on the big web though I might as well start basing my life plans on winning the lottery.
Caroline
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Caroline »

i am safe, thank gooooodness.

some beautiful urusei yatsura cels on there though.... :drool
Ryouko
Kamisama - God

Post by Ryouko »

Sorely tempted by the Lunar sketches... been searching for any Lunar artwork for ages. *cry*

No FY this time, though. Kind of surprising after the last two auctions had some nice pieces. Probably better for my pocketbook, though. :)

Now back to lamenting on missing a boshi cel cause I couldn't go to AX. @_@ *whimper*
Webmistress and owner of Picture Perfect:
http://www.rockman-exe.com/picture.html
http://ryouko.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
Always looking for high-quality Tamahome, Tasuki or Boshi-twin cels!
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Nice stuff. Some interesting Urusei Yatsura cels, and Ghibli items.

What in the world is this?
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 1380100001

Are the color images just the cover of the settei?
I like image 3 the best.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Hmmm...it looks like original settei(and not the copy stuff that you generally see on YJ). And, I agree...photo 3 is quite nice.

Fortunately, nothing I see this time that just grabs me, so I'll be sitting this one out. I agree that there are some nice Urusei Yatsura items, but due to Akemi Takada's(Lum's character designer) revolting behavior at AX, I have no intention of ever spending a penny on anything she was involved in.
Strictly-Dragonball
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Strictly-Dragonball »

I am debating whether or not to go for the DBZ Harmony cel, only thing is I'd have to bid quite high and I'm not the biggest fan of Cell but how many chances would I get at a DBZ Harmony cel?
HJ Hodgson

Me and my twin sister

'Love me when I least deserve it, for that is when I most need it'-Proverb
Cypress
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Cypress »

8O Too many goodies...brain esploding!!! Wallet shriveling...

What happened at AX with Akemi Takada?
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

Cypress wrote:
What happened at AX with Akemi Takada?
Not to detour this thread too off course but I second that
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

CB: you were at AX and didnt make yourself known at slugfest!!! O.O
*bops ya on the head!!*

Where were you??
I wanted to meet you!! X| X|
Bet you knew I'd glomped you thats why you laid low
huh?
LOL! :crackup
cant blame ya there :wink:
Acutally I didnt know half of who the folks were at slugfest
till they had already left and I found out afterwards
I was so out of it that night :wow:

If CB is referencing what I think she is, I agree the
signing was VERY messy.. thou I think it hhad
more to do with the con organizers and volunteers than it
did her.

Basically she required that ppl buy one of her pieces before
she'd sign anything. The volunteers FAILED MISERABLY
to tell us this and the 1st 15 or so ppl were embarrassed
upon getting up to the table and having her say
"Sorry Im not signing anythin for you till you buy something 1st"
It wasnt until folks complained to the volunteers about t he
misinformation (or lack of it) that
they told the rest of the ppl in line what they were requiring.
Some left upon hearing it, and others were left to scrouge up
money or not get anythin signed becayse they ran out
of prints and stuff at the Gofa table.

But who knows if thats how AX staff was even settling
their payment with her to bring her out.
Afterall they didnt get the attendance they normally get
hence less money.
:? :P

It was an absolute mess and embarrassment for sure
One I dont want to relive ever again.

CB does that sound about right or was there more to
it? I left after I got my stuff signed so I dnno if
something more happened. 8O
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

Captain Haddock wrote:Yup nothing for me either this time, maybe oneday in a time far far away they might put a NS cel or two up on the big web though I might as well start basing my life plans on winning the lottery.
Hahaha, soo true!

Nice items, especially the Ghibli cels and sketches, but nothing takes my fancy (thankfully) for yet another time!

Oh and look...it's Shampoo!! ^^
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Eeeheee.. Amy and I arrived a bit late to Slugfest(we couldn't find parking...honestly!), so we were sitting in the Nether-region, the bar. After waking up at 4am and running about the halls all day, the bed of fries that came with my hamburger started to look really nice to sleep in....

Oh yes, there is a bit more to the Takada story.

I attended Takada's panel as well and stood in line to get her signature during her session. The guy in front of me waived his receipt around, showing that he spent $860 on all three prints. It wasn't as if Takada and the GoFu organization that was promoting her artwork were selling the copy prints for $25 a shot...they were unreasonably high. The AX staff told us that Takada would not sign a 'blank piece of paper', but that you had to either have her artwork or a shikishi/poster board. Since I finally found a use for all those posterboards that Mandarake sends with their items, I didn't think there would be a problem.

Of course, after waiting an hour and a half to get to the head of the line, I was five away when the volunteer informed us that she wouldn't sign any thing but her artwork. I asked the staff if she'd sign her little blurb in the AX magazine instead, but they adamantly informed me that she'd only sign her artwork and nothing else. I left, slightly disgusted and upset that I could have been enjoying a nice dinner by now instead of wasting my time in a line.

So...enter Sunday, the open autograph session.

I went to Masahiro Ando's signature session because he really impressed me. In addition to signing whatever you wanted, he also handed out posters of his new movie "Sword of the Stranger", which is scheduled to be released in the US later this year. Plus, he and the movie's director both signed and customized your item for you.

After I finished with the line, I was gearing to head out, when one of the AX staff stopped me. She asked me if I could go to the Takada line because Takada was pissed off that no one was standing in her line(while David Hayter was packing them in).

Gee...I wonder why...?!

I explained to the AX staffer that I would go, but yesterday she refused to sign my posterboard and wanted me to buy the ridiculously high priced artwork instead. The AX staffer informed me that she would be a bit more lax on the restriction today, but that the only thing that Takada will draw is a cat face. From what I saw the day before, she wasn't drawing anything on her prints either - it was just a signature on a print.

So, I head over. There was no wait. Since I already had all my boards signed by someone, I decided I'd recycle one. I presented her with the blank side.

Takada has a disgusted look. Then she turns it over and sees that someone else had already signed it. She turns it back to the blank side. She asks me my name and I tell her. Apparently, the only way she'll sign it is if it's personalized. I ask her nicely if she could draw the cat face. She complies, but reluctantly. Maybe she felt that I should be grateful that she decided to sign my posterboard in the first place. I dunno. I thanked her for signing my board and left.

I know that some artists can be very finicky people and I didn't go there with the expectation that after signing my board, we'd become best friends for life. And I understand that she might be upset that some of her work has ended up on YJ and Mandarake. But, not all anime fans out to make a fast buck and for many, like myself, the work I went to get these signatures makes them all the more important to me. Instead, she managed to alienate a lot of fans and potential buyers of her artwork. I was seriously considering purchasing the Orange Road original artwork she had donated to the charity auction, but after the way I was treated, I wouldn't have bidded a cent.
Cypress
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Cypress »

Wow! That is finicky! I don't blame you for being upset, but she is only a character designer for the anime right? Its not like she is Rumiko. I don't see what kind of genius it takes to make an anime character design from a manga...they are very similar, all the work has been done.

To keep this on track...How fast is the shipping from Mandarake if you win?

Thanks!
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

Cypress wrote: To keep this on track...How fast is the shipping from Mandarake if you win?

Thanks!
They use EMS so usually 4 days to a week
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

As usual, some of the REALLY nice items are hidden in the Every Day Auctions :)

Royouko: you should definitely check out the EDAs. ;)